You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He went to Bolton with Sammy Lee. Obviously that didn't last long and when Lee was sacked his people went with him.

He then given a job at Watford by Adrian Boothroyd but when he was sacked and a new man was brought in it was obvious that McParland would go as well.

It's hardly a record of failure. He didn't have enough time to fail at either of these clubs.

As opposed to the well known management technique and booster of team solidarity of employing people who are deliberately argumentative and never agree?

The poster you are responding to is himself deliberately argumentative (to put it mildly). Once you realise that, then it should come as no surprise that he thinks that this is the way to manage, and anything less is tantamount to a "politburo of yes men".

:wallbutt:

PS: TT - are you really Rashid?

The idea of Macia getting an extension concern's me a hell of a lot more than McParland coming back.

What also concern's me is a thread getting hi-jacked almost completely by Rash and his opinion, rather than everybody else's (partly his fault, partly other peoples). It remind's me of when he was last here, which is when I stopped coming on reguarly as the place got almost unbearable. I just hope it doesn't go that way again.

Rash, you are now edging towards the 'other forumites would rather eat their own shit than read you posting the same fucking thing over and over and over a~fucking~gain' zone.

Just letting you know like.

Edging my arse, he is off the fucking cliff. Sadly and I am not jumping on the band wagon but the fella cannot help himself.

Groundhog day springs to mind.

Is this ToxtethTerror Jamie Kanwar? ;)

Was thinking something similar.

Because based on his performance to date, I think he's fucking shite.

I wouldn't know were to begin on judging his performance tbh.In your opinion why do you think his performance has been poor??

Was thinking something similar.

I wouldn't know were to begin on judging his performance tbh.In your opinion why do you think his performance has been poor??

Because I think our transfer dealing's since the 2006/2007 season have been poor overall.

Especially the lesser known players, which are the one's which Macia was most likely responsible for. Player's like Dossena, Lucas, N'Gog etc...

Edited by Ged B

People need to realise that it's hard for us to judge who the right man for the job is, without actually speaking to the person himself. It's not all about who the most high profile man availible is, but more on what the person's philisophy on football is, and what he thinks needs to be done at the club to help it progress. It's obviously McParland and Benitez have a good relationship, and if I remember correctly, they have both said in the past that they still kept in contact even after Frank went to Bolton.

What I hope it will do, with Rafa being allowed more control, and giving somebody he trusts a position of control, is stop all the petty infighting (quite possibly a word I have just made up), and give us more stability and unity behind the scenes, and help improve the relationship between the Academy and Melwood. If it means the reserve side will clear out some of the gash in it, and those deserving of promotion from the Academy will be moved up to the ressies then again I'm all for it.

I'm far from being Rafa's biggest fan, but he has a new long term contract, and I very much doubt he will be leaving anytime soon, so if this helps us progress under his tenure, and stops the politics that are damaging our club, then I will be happy.

regardless of whether we think that they should have gotten a contract or not, it is truly refreshing to read that Rafa wanted to sign people to a new contract and that about a week later it actually fucking happened.

its the parry corrolary. take him out of the equation and shit happens pretty fast.

Word Woo, great post, and I apologise for the shit storm before. I didn't articulate myself well. I passsionately feel that the club should be about itself and not about one person. If said person ever leaves we have in place his ghosts all over the club. I feel we need to build a consistent team behind the scenes that works with whoever is manager and his coaching staff rather than for him. Its healthy I feel but I totally understand people having the opposite view. We don't need to fight about it.

The reason I want to slightly dilute Rafa's post is because I think his biggest weaknesses are in the area of developing young players and being able to spot talent and nurture that talent.

In 1986, at the age of twenty six, Benítez returned to Real Madrid and joined the club’s coaching staff. At the start of the 1986–87 season, he was appointed coach of Castilla B. With this team he won two league titles in 1987 and 1989. He won a third league title with Real Madrid Youth B in 1990. Halfway through the 1990–91 season he succeeded José Antonio Camacho as the coach of the Real Madrid Under 19s. With this team he won the Spain Under 19s Cup in 1991 and 1993, beating Barcelona in both finals. In 1993 the team completed a double when they also won the national Under 19 league. While at Real, Benítez also gained his coaching certificate in 1989 and in the summer of 1990 he taught at a football camp at the University of California, Davis in California.

During the 1992–93 season Benítez also worked as an assistant coach to Mariano García Remón at Real Madrid B. After his success with the Under 19s, Benítez then succeeded García Remón at the start of the 1993–94 season. Real Madrid B were then playing in the Segunda División and on 4 September 1993 he made his debut as a Segunda División manager with a 3–1 over Hércules CF. In March 1994 he became assistant manager to Vicente del Bosque with the senior Real Madrid team before returning to coach Real Madrid B for the 1994–95 season.

I am talking about Liverpool mate with all due respect. Lets leave it at that.

As far as I am aware he has not worked as a youth coach at Liverpool Rash. However, he had a very successful career as a youth coach at one of the biggest clubs in the world. To say he knows nothing of developing young players is therefore demonstrably naive. Personally I think his having control over the academy so that he can direct the development of young players and try to get them working with his ideas as early as possible can only be a good thing for the club. He's here for another five years, let's judge him on how he does during the length of that contract without interference in his ideas and methods.

Hurruh a whole team of yes men!! McParland the failure at Watford and Bolton - bastions of football - is back!

Yes (thanks, by the way, for taking the trouble to send me a private message to tell me I was, in your considered opinion, a pillock), I do agree: all of such appointments should be of ex-Arsenal coaching staff, if not the blessed Wenger himself.

I'd prefer the club to choose the people who run various aspects of the club and not someone who has proved a failure at his last two clubs - this is a case of jobs for my mates. Bloody hell, he was sacked at Watford and Bolton if he was any good they would have kept him!

We've sacked you twice from this forum, but we've still taken you back a third time! See, it does happen.

As far as I am aware he has not worked as a youth coach at Liverpool Rash. However, he had a very successful career as a youth coach at one of the biggest clubs in the world. To say he knows nothing of developing young players is therefore demonstrably naive. Personally I think his having control over the academy so that he can direct the development of young players and try to get them working with his ideas as early as possible can only be a good thing for the club. He's here for another five years, let's judge him on how he does during the length of that contract without interference in his ideas and methods.

I think he has done a great job on Skrtel, Agger and Torres but they were all proven internationals when they joined, he just made them a lot better. What I am talking about is the development of players in the first team squad, giving players a chance, improving them enough to make them first team quality.

I agree he is here for the long term now and he should be judged on that. One silverlining for me is that he can now be held responsible for scouting, the players and the academy all in one go without any excuses. We won the Youth cup twice a couple of years ago, and although that isn't a marker for anything it would still have been nice if we had ONE first team regular out of it, we didn't get anywhere near.

Rafa has also had numerous young players at the mini-academy at Melwood, how many of those players have been developed ready for first team action? I think the jury is out on our scouting system, our ability to nurture young talent and bring them through to the first team. That's why I asked on this thread if it was a good idea to go with our old Chief Scout as our new Academy guru, or in keeping Macia who hasn't been very good either.

I can only judge with my eyes mate for our club, I am not really fussed about what went on at Madrid B 10 years ago.

I agree he is here for the long term now and he should be judged on that. One silverlining for me is that he can now be held responsible for scouting, the players and the academy all in one go without any excuses. We won the Youth cup twice a couple of years ago, and although that isn't a marker for anything it would still have been nice if we had ONE first team regular out of it, we didn't get anywhere near.

From the United team we beat in 06/07 no players are first teamers, and only Wellbeck has featured more than once. From the City team we beat in 05/06 only Johnson and Richards are regulars.

In fact going through the teams who've won the FA Youth Cup over the last ten years not many players have gone on to be regulars, the following are the players who got over 30 games for their clubs.

Arsenal (2000): none

Arsenal (2001): none

Villa (2002): Steven Davis, Luke Moore, Liam Ridgewell, Peter Whittingham (none still at the club)

United (2003): Kieran Richardson

Boro (2004): McMahon, Matthew Bates, Wheater, Morrisson, Taylor, Johnson, (only Wheater is now a first team player)

Ipswich (2005) Garvan, Haynes

Liverpool (2006) none

Liverpool (2007) none

Man City (2008) none

Rafa has also had numerous young players at the mini-academy at Melwood, how many of those players have been developed ready for first team action?

3. Insua, El Zhar and Ngog are all first team squad members and Pacheco, Nemeth and San Jose aren't far behind. We only really started spending money on young players in the last 3 years, how many do you expect us to produce in that time?