You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC have appointed Frank McParland to undertake a strategic review of the club's Academy operation, which is based at Kirkby.

McParland was Liverpool Chief Scout for three years between 2004-07, before taking up the position of General Manager at Bolton Wanderers.

Manager Rafa Benitez explained: "When I signed my new contract, it was agreed I'd have a more significant influence at the Academy and this is an important step in assessing the future direction we will need to take.

"I value Frank's opinions and know him well from the time he spent working with me at Melwood. He will liaise closely with the staff at the Academy to produce a comprehensive analysis of the operation there before reporting back to me with his recommendations.

"Clearly, we need to move forward quickly, so Frank has already started work and will accompany the Under 18 team tomorrow when they travel to Huddersfield Town."

MCPARLAND TO HEAD UP ACADEMY REVIEW

Key members of Rafa Benitez's backroom team have today agreed new contracts with the club.

Assistant Manager Sammy Lee, First Team Coach Mauricio Pellegrino, Goalkeeping Coach Xavi Valero, Fitness Coach Paco de Miguel and Chief Scout Eduardo Macia have all been given extensions of at least two years on their current deals.

The move is part of a phased approach to address the future of the club's backroom staff.

Liverpool Manager Rafa Benitez commented: "I said when I signed my own deal recently that it was a priority to sort out the future of the technical staff.

"We work extremely well as a team and continuity is essential if we are to build on the progress we have made this season and move the club further forward. I'm delighted we have been able to sort out the contracts."

TECHNICAL STAFF AGREE NEW CONTRACTS

Pretty much as expected I guess.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heaven forbid the manager should be working with a staff that he trusts and values and works well with. That's just plain loopy.

I'd prefer the club to choose the people who run various aspects of the club and not someone who has proved a failure at his last two clubs - this is a case of jobs for my mates. Bloody hell, he was sacked at Watford and Bolton if he was any good they would have kept him!

Rafa likes working with McParland and trusts him which is better then been at loggerheads.

A review of the Academy should be a good thing as hopefully we will get shut of plenty of the deadwood and have just one Academy now not two.

I'd prefer the club to choose the people who run various aspects of the club and not someone who has proved a failure at his last two clubs - this is a case of jobs for my mates. Bloody hell, he was sacked at Watford and Bolton if he was any good they would have kept him!

And like, you don't think Sammy Lee's dismissal as manager of Bolton having brought McParland in with him and then a new manager wanting his own people could have had anything to do with Mcparland getting the push from there then?

And like, you don't think Sammy Lee's dismissal as manager of Bolton having brought McParland in with him and then a new manager wanting his own people could have had anything to do with Mcparland getting the push from there then?

Yeah yeah, there will always be excuses. He was sacked twice in 6 months at two clubs and now he is our Academy Guru... Not saying anymore to be honest, just saying we deserve the best out there.

McParland is good at what he does, and I'd much rather he had the role over Piet Hamburg. He was given a different role at Bolton and Watford to the role he had here. It's a step in the right direction in terms of the Academy. Plus Rafa trusts him, so hopefully it will see relations between Melwood and the Academy improve.

A mate of mine in work still talks to Frank, as he used to be his boss at Telewest years ago, and they played footy together for years, says he's a good fella and is made up to be back.

He was good at his job here (which, having re hired him, is surely a plus point). If I recall, the chance to work under Sammy Lee when he was appointed Bolton manager was the only reason he left Liverpool in the first place.

Just because you dont like Rafa, doesnt mean he shouldnt have men around him he can trust. Its how Liverpool managers have always operated.

And as for your sly "jobs for my mates" comment, what about Joe Fagan only taking the Liverpool managers job because if he didnt, he thought that Ronnie Moran and Roy Evans might be out of a job if an outsider was appointed. Surely thats "jobs for my mates" too. Or is that ok, because it was when we were the best team in England and stable behind the scenes?

Yeah yeah, there will always be excuses. He was sacked twice in 6 months at two clubs and now he is our Academy Guru... Not saying anymore to be honest, just saying we deserve the best out there.

Yeah but having a go at someone for getting sacked when you don't know the half of what's gone on is extremely niave. I'd expect better from you to be honest.

Trouble is the best out there isn't always the most glamorous, which seems to be your way of viewing things!

He was good at his job here (which, having re hired him, is surely a plus point). If I recall, the chance to work under Sammy Lee when he was appointed Bolton manager was the only reason he left Liverpool in the first place.

Just because you dont like Rafa, doesnt mean he shouldnt have men around him he can trust. Its how Liverpool managers have always operated.

I don't mind Rafa at all, I wanted him to have a new contract. My mood has changed a lot towards him as he seems to be ditching the defensive football. It doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does or everyone he buys. I dont believe in the "in Rafa we trust" thing.... just like if Rafa went and bought Titus Bramble I'd not be made up but I can imagine others would find a good reason for it.

Before he left us, he was Chief Scout alongside Macia - can someone name the players he bought here? Did he get a single attacking signing right for example? None of the scouts at Liverpool have too much to be proud of. I don't think we have signed a single "gem" and polished him into a diamond yet...all of our good signings were well known and that says a lot about the scouts.

McParland is a mate of Sammie and is someone who Rafa trusts, its a job for a "mate" because he has done nothing in his career that I can think of that makes him a stand out footballing man that we should be running after to revamp our Aacdemy.

What are his achievments? Signing Jack Hobbs? He was influential in that and look where he is now...

I don't mind Rafa at all, I wanted him to have a new contract. My mood has changed a lot towards him as he seems to be ditching the defensive football. It doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does or everyone he buys. I dont believe in the "in Rafa we trust" thing.... just like if Rafa went and bought Titus Bramble I'd not be made up but I can imagine others would find a good reason for it.

Before he left us, he was Chief Scout aongside Macia - can someone name the players he bought here? Did he get a single attacking signing right for exaple? None of the scouts at Liverpool have too much to be proud of. I don't think we have signed a single "gem" and polished him into a diamond yet...all of our god signings were well known and that says a lot about the scouts.

McParland is a mate of Sammie and is someone who Rafa trusts, its a job for a "mate" because he has done nothing in his career that I can think of that makes him a stand out footballing man that we should be running after to revamp our Aacdemy.

What are his achievments? Signing Jack Hobbs? He was influential in that and look where he is now...

I never said I did either. Fucks sake, you only have to say one thing half positive about Rafa around here and you're jumped on and lumped in with those who think he does no wrong.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Hurruh a whole team of yes men!! McParland the failure at Watford and Bolton - bastions of football - is back!

Yawn

I never said I did either. Fucks sake, you only have to say one thing half positive about Rafa around here and you're jumped on and lumped in with those who think he does no wrong.

That comment wasn't aimed at you Gaz. It's aimed at those on this thread who are justifying McParland just because Rafa likes him. His record both here and at other clubs is pretty poor.