You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't write him off, I reckon he'll get another 100 goals before he retires. Even at his peak he had his detractors but he's always proved himself a class goalscorer. And say what you want about him but he is a winner and has shown amazing resillence and self belief over the years.

He has got bottle and I bet he scores the vital goals in keeping Newcastle up.

Has anyone noticed (and I'm not using this as a pro to bring Owen back) how Newcastle seem to constantly have injury problems? Even players who go there who never really struggle with injuries beforehand seem to be crocked. It's more than a coincidence now as it's been happening for seasons. Must be something to do with the training or the physios/doctors there being below standard surely.

Graeme Souness noticed as he thought the pitch at their new training ground was too hard which put stress on the players. He was ridiculed for it at the time though, but there may be something in it. It's not as though players are breaking bones in freak accidents, they're usually muscle injuries.

I also doubt it helps having a physio who looks grossly overweight and unhealthy!

newcastle2020ai6.jpg

I've spent a tiny bit of time with Michael's parents, and they're a really nice couple (even though Terry has such a red face he looks like he's about to explode at any moment), and, although Michael's always been a bit, well, middle class, he's been superb behind the scenes during and after his Liverpool career, looking after fans. For all the vitriol he inspires you don't see many negative anecdotes even from Owen haters. As far as I'm concerned, we invested in him and trained him, but he also had a hell of a god-given talent, so what happened was always likely to have happened - but that ghastly creep of an agent of his deserves his face smashed in. I'd like him back simply because, coming off the bench and in need of a goal, there's still no more of an encouraging sight. Where else would he go? He seems now to have barely any bargaining options, so it ought to be a gift. Anyway, whatever happens, I think he's a decent enough lad, he won us so many games and he deserves, at the very least, some lasting respect.

I've spent a tiny bit of time with Michael's parents, and they're a really nice couple (even though Terry has such a red face he looks like he's about to explode at any moment), and, although Michael's always been a bit, well, middle class, he's been superb behind the scenes during and after his Liverpool career, looking after fans. For all the vitriol he inspires you don't see many negative anecdotes even from Owen haters. As far as I'm concerned, we invested in him and trained him, but he also had a hell of a god-given talent, so what happened was always likely to have happened - but that ghastly creep of an agent of his deserves his face smashed in. I'd like him back simply because, coming off the bench and in need of a goal, there's still no more of an encouraging sight. Where else would he go? He seems now to have barely any bargaining options, so it ought to be a gift. Anyway, whatever happens, I think he's a decent enough lad, he won us so many games and he deserves, at the very least, some lasting respect.

Is correct.

Would that be the same Gerrard who never went to Chelsea despite the clear financial benefits to HIMSELF and HIS then title aspirations? Think that pretty much shows your point to be shite. Gerrard put Liverpool before him wanting to win the league and the money, Torres took a pay cut to come to this club when he could have got alot more elsewhere at the time, these are the differences between them and Owen. He only give a fuck about his england place and how much cash he got from that newcastle move. So yes it is something to beat him with.

Actually, no he didn't. Gerrard put HIS OWN love for Liverpool ahead of Chelsea. He thought long and hard overnight and knew that he loved the club too much to leave. This is not him putting the club first over his own feelings, this is his feelings been put very much first, as you'd expect from anyone. Luckily for us, his feelings led him to stay with us. If he didn't love the club that much, then he would have left. He put his own feelings first. Don't be so fucking stupid as to expect any person to put themselves second to a football club.

Top post

Guest Francie Brady

Considering that both his england and club career are at a standstill, his injury record and fact he will be more then likely a squad player if signed I think offering him around 50k a week would be more then fair. If he would not sign cause he deemed this un-fair it proves that money did motivate him all along and I would want him back here if he was not chopping at the bit to play for us again just like "God" was when he returned.

That article on Owen is utter rubbish. Obviously capello has a grudge against Owen as no one can tell me he is behind the likes of defoe, court, heskey etc. You just cant make it up.

In fact, the article is so full of shit, I stopped reading it at that point.

Considering that both his england and club career are at a standstill, his injury record and fact he will be more then likely a squad player if signed I think offering him around 50k a week would be more then fair. If he would not sign cause he deemed this un-fair it proves that money did motivate him all along and I would want him back here if he was not chopping at the bit to play for us again just like "God" was when he returned.

Sounds reasonable and would tell alot about what his motivation is

Guest Francie Brady
I doubt he'd welcome a bit part, unless he's only arsed about his horses.

Hes been playing a bit part cause of injuries for a few years now.

Your my poster of the month.

I'm not Owen's biggest fan... but I'll give it up.

Pay as you play deal, on a free, with a very serious medical... I can't really argue with it if we have no transfer funds.

HOWEVER, if we have the money to buy someone else after our needs are filled... then I think that would be a much better route.

You can't train for the natural striking instinct Owen has. The no pace argument holds no water - Owen long ago adjusted his game to accomodate his loss of pace. But if you want a striker who always seems to be in the right place at the right time when space is at a premium in the 18 yard box, then there is nobody better.

He seems to have a knack for being where the ball will land, be it a cross or a rebound from the keeper's save. And that's because he isn't ball watching, he's always on the move looking for it. Watch him. Owen is moving while everyone else is still standing watching the flight of the ball. Add to that his instinctive finish, and you have a very good player.

He's no good in the games where you want the striker to run onto balls behind the defence, but when you're looking to break down a packed penalty area he's a great option to have.

His fitness is a worry, but on a free-transfer and a pay-as-you-play deal it would be a win-win situation.

His fitness certainly is a worry and the jist of the article is about his injuries, thankfully a player like him can make up for it in other areas yet he's a shadow of the player he was and would have packed the game in a long time ago if it wasn't for the money floating about on the back of his name. He can barely break sweat without something flaring up these days.

I'd have him here possibly depending on his fitness but he'd have to drop his wages to either 50 G's or pay as you play.

As a back-up for Torres, option for 442 and to throw on when we need a goal Owen would be a great cheap option. We don’t need him to play every game, he’d be gagging to show he’s still got it and he’s already got a playing relationship with Gerrard. I can’t see him being offered anything better than that opportunity really. Can’t see anyone willing to pay him top wages, or a top team willing to take him as anything other than an option. The time at Newcastle and his injuries have really killed his career.