You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me as if that article was written by a bitter geordie who has taken exception to Owen perhaps not consdering them to be the greatest people and fans on the planet, ever.

Anybody righting off Michael Owen at this stage of their career wants their fucking head feeling!

I believe he's still Newcastle's top scorer this year isn't he, despite injury? I may be wrong, but I think he might be you know.

I wouldn't want to move in and mingle with that bunch of inbreds either to be honest, but then I wouldn't have signed for them either!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Michael Owen at a bigger and better club next season and banging them in for fun again.

pay as you play or a serious pay cut. No where near 100k a week!

don't talk shite.

Why the fuck would a player of Michael Owen's calibre take a pay as you play deal??

get involved with the real world. It's a wonderful place.

I wanted Owen back but that was just the heartstrings tugging. There's no place for him at Liverpool except for the bench and he's far too good for that.

He'll leave Newcastle but won't be at a truly top club. Maybe Aston Villa or thereabouts. And he'll score but the bucket load if he stays clear of injury.

As for paying him 100k p/w OR a pay as you play deal. Both are ridiculous suggestions, neither of which will ever happen.

I'm going to put it like this

Michael Owen was at this club for a very long time, he won us the F.A Cup single handedly and carried us through some dark days, and some glory ones to boot.

When he left in 2004, he thought the grass was greener, it wasn't, he was wrong, and he knows he was wrong. Since then his career has gone downhill, and I feel sorry for him.

Personally I think he's still got 'it' and we need 'it', we need someone to come off the bench and score goals.

IMO We need a player like Owen, but not half as much as he needs us. I think we should keep the door open to him, make sure he comes back on our terms.

Sounds to me as if that article was written by a bitter geordie who has taken exception to Owen perhaps not consdering them to be the greatest people and fans on the planet, ever.

Anybody righting off Michael Owen at this stage of their career wants their fucking head feeling!

I believe he's still Newcastle's top scorer this year isn't he, despite injury? I may be wrong, but I think he might be you know.

I wouldn't want to move in and mingle with that bunch of inbreds either to be honest, but then I wouldn't have signed for them either!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Michael Owen at a bigger and better club next season and banging them in for fun again.

Being Newcastle's top scorer is like being the fastest runner in a parapleigic race.

don't talk shite.

Why the fuck would a player of Michael Owen's calibre take a pay as you play deal??

It makes no sense not to considering his injury record. It doesn't represent any value for money to pay Owen say £70k a week if he's only able to play in half of the games in a season.

No way should we go back for him, even leaving aside that fact that, from Rafa's perspective he walked out on him in 2004 without even giving him a competitive game, and then subsequently made us look even more stupid with his antics the following summer. I'd also prefer to remember the young genius of 97-99 rather than watch a player who clearly is a shadow of the man he used to be. It's nostalgic nonsense to suggest we should go back for him, and we've lived in the past for too long as a club.

it's a shame that he's surrounded himself with people throughout his career who have put making money and the Michael Owen 'brand' above his potential as a footballer. He's made some bad choices as a result, and whilst he's been unlucky with injuries, he hasn't put himself in the right environment to deal with those.

On a free He could be handy for us , his wages are the stumbling block but he dont fuckin need 100 odd thousand a week thats just plain greedy as fuck, pay him 80,000 a week and have him for a season , like I said he could come in very handy indeed , youd be a fool to turn down a player like him for a free i think .

That would still make him 5th or 6th highest paid player in our entire squad.

He's a brave lad Michael getting in a helicopter to go to training, i'm shit scared of those things. In all seriousness though, if i owned a helicopter i think i would also choose not to become acquainted with geordie culture and that horrific city with it's horrific population. Still a class player but can't ever see him having another full season again in his life. Get the violin out Terry.

don't talk shite.

I agree with that but at the same time, the real world also dictates to Owen that he isn't as valuable an asset as he was (or was perceived to be) when he signed his last contract. There's no way he will get a £100k a week deal while his fitness is under so much doubt. Whether anyone would pay him more than £50k is also up for question.

I feel gutted for him though, the 2001 FA cup final was one of the biggest highs in football I have ever had, possibly only beaten by Istanbul. Was he a great player for us - yes, did he make 2 stupid descisions to snub us - yes, does he regret them - no doubt but I think unless it was a pay as you play deal then we would be better off putting the money elsewhere. Even on 60 grand a week he would be costing us over 3 mil a year

I'm going to put it like this

Michael Owen was at this club for a very long time, he won us the F.A Cup single handedly and carried us through some dark days, and some glory ones to boot.

When he left in 2004, he thought the grass was greener, it wasn't, he was wrong, and he knows he was wrong. Since then his career has gone downhill, and I feel sorry for him.

Personally I think he's still got 'it' and we need 'it', we need someone to come off the bench and score goals.

IMO We need a player like Owen, but not half as much as he needs us. I think we should keep the door open to him, make sure he comes back on our terms.

I'd concur with that.

So, there you are, concured.

Whoever said Owen doesnt have a big personality is wrong.

He'd give the place a massive massive lift just as Robbie did.

I'm sure Carra would be delighted to have him back.

Gerrard and Carra have both said they would love to have him back, and that they both still talk to him.