You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

Captain Lawrence's liquid gold.

I had 3 pints of this beer in New York recently and could hardly see straight.

Superb.

I was a bit apprehensive of the standard of ale over there when I went in December, but that was quickly proved to be daft when I had Cornhuskers at the Heartland Brewery. A beautiful beer, that.

Over here though my old favourite in terms of lager used to be Harp Irish on tap, although very few places do it now.

There's fucking tons of nice ale to be had in the Ship and Mitre so it's hard to pick one, although both Erdingers take some beating. Also had Cains Dark Mild the other night at Doctor Duncans which was a lovely pint.

In the Ship & Mitre after the game yesterday, had the dark Erdinger which was lovely, and then that Fruli strawberry beer. Absolutely delightful. It was a party in my mouth and everyone was invited.

But I bet nobody turned up.

• 3 months later...

i was going to bump this thread this morning.

i haven't tried this beer myself, but i think it has some novelty value - i'm sure someone who loves alcohol and hates small furry animals (like anny road) would appreciate this...

World’s strongest and most expensive beer goes on sale in UK

New BrewDog beer is 55%ABV, costs £500 per bottle and is packaged in a stuffed animal

dzn_The-End-of-History-by-Brew-Dogsq01.jpg

BrewDog, the maverick independent brewery, has unveiled the strongest and most expensive beer in the world – The End of History – available to buy in the UK from today. At 55%ABV and £500 for a bottle, the blond Belgian ale is infused with nettles and juniper berries is served from unique bottles made with stuffed animals dressed in eccentric outfits. Just 12 bespoke bottles have been produced, using seven dead stoats, four squirrels and one hare.

BrewDog co-founder, James Watt commented:

“In true BrewDog fashion we’ve torn up convention, blurred distinctions and pushed brewing and beer packaging to its absolute limits. This is the beer to end all beers. It’s an audacious blend of eccentricity, artistry and rebellion; changing the general perception of beer one stuffed animal at a time.”

The name ‘The End of History’ derives from the famous work of philosopher Francis Fukuyama – implying that this is to beer what democracy is to history. The artisan beer has been crafted at the company’s brewery in Fraserburgh, Scotland and has been infused with juniper berries and nettles from the Scottish highlands.

The striking individual bottles were hand crafted by a taxidermist in Doncaster and each animal died of natural causes before they were used to hold the world’s most expensive beer. The outfits were made-to-measure and each bottle has its own quirky personality.

Dezeen » Blog Archive » The End of History by BrewDog

dzn_The-End-of-History-by-Brew-Dog-1.jpg

ace beer

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8iiGl4T9s&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8iiGl4T9s&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

more ace beer

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmVs0sF7IAQ&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmVs0sF7IAQ&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPJpys17iNg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPJpys17iNg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Video: Meantime, it's beer o'clock | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

• 3 months later...

Good choice that for a celebratory beverage!

I'm gasping for a good beer, it's been nearly 3 months since I had one and I have some from a little Norfolk brewery that my folks brought me back from their holidays earlier in the year, including a cheeky sounding lemon and ginger number. Roll on Christmas and New Year when I can have a beer or two!

Yes, I was allowed out to see Hamlet last weekend but that's it so far!

That would have been good but it's my Mum's birthday so I'm heading over to Hull for the weekend. We should do something in Sheffsoon though (if not JoFo) to celebrate your new job and impending old age.

• 9 months later...
I might have mentioned this before, but...

oldtom_main_taste.jpg

Lovely, dark, strong, warming, and it's got a cat on the bottle. What's not to like?

Ha, Old Tom, isn't it about 8.5%? I've got a mate who had about 4 bottles of that after around 6 pints and he literally couldn't walk.