You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

12 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

If you had 2 cans of their pavement licker it might have improved the viewing 

I had the invisible ceiling over the weekend, plus the examine our allocation, both excellent. Had a can of the pavement licker as a first beer a couple of weeks back with our checking the volume, that night got out of hand!

Also, drank too much Deya, Other Half, Brewdog Overworks and The Brewary over the weekend and would recommend all.

Lock down weekends are great, but heavy! 

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I had the invisible ceiling over the weekend, plus the examine our allocation, both excellent. Had a can of the pavement licker as a first beer a couple of weeks back with our checking the volume, that night got out of hand!

Also, drank too much Deya, Other Half, Brewdog Overworks and The Brewary over the weekend and would recommend all.

Lock down weekends are great, but heavy! 

I did that the other way round the other week.

had lower stuff, then some DDH’s around 6%, before I knew it I had one can left.

A Polly’s TIPA at 10%. That was a cunt of hangover. Also still felt full till the next day, couldn’t kill the hangover with carbs 

17 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

I did that the other way round the other week.

had lower stuff, then some DDH’s around 6%, before I knew it I had one can left.

A Polly’s TIPA at 10%. That was a cunt of hangover. Also still felt full till the next day, couldn’t kill the hangover with carbs 

I always feel like I’m drinking the same thing with Polly’s, good, but not really distinctive.

Cloudwater have just released a TIPA and it’s genuinely lovely, it’s what put me to sleep on Saturday.

24 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

too many beers in there I wouldn't drink. I really can't be doing with IPA under 5% it tastes weird and I think that hazy jane is not a patch say on the thornbridge neipa (jamestown? which I would say is the supermarket equivalent) - HJ used to be nice and then they changed it a few months back. 

Does anyone else just drink Cobra, Estrella, etc?

Theres no point posting on this thread unless you've found a beer that's been made with Shergar's hoofs or paying £20 for a pint of lager that's been filtered through Anne Frank's kidneys.

17 minutes ago, Elite said:

Theres no point posting on this thread unless you've found a beer that's been made with Shergar's hoofs or paying £20 for a pint of lager that's been filtered through Anne Frank's kidneys.

i do my best to not drink them. but if i was in a pub and had a choice say between estrella and one of these major brewery session ipa's, i would pick the estrella. i also prefer cold kegged beer to cask - the cask stuff i can drink for one or two but that's about it. 

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've never been able to get into real ale type stuff. What would you recommend that's similar to lager as a starting point?

Lost and Grounded Keller Pills is one off the best out there. 

There are loads of great lager/pills/Hellas out there.

Have a nosy here https://indiebeer.co.uk/search?q=Lager

Most will be good/very good.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

Great isn't it? I've got two kegs and 4 bottles of it.

It really is. Bit pissed off with them as I ordered another two kegs of it and one Jupiler and they’ve sent me Two Jupiler and one Royal, and now the Royal is out of stock until next year. 

They offered to refund me the £3 difference in beer tokens which is big of them. Still, I’ve got a couple of Royal kegs in reserve so should be alright for the foreseeable. 

27 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

It really is. Bit pissed off with them as I ordered another two kegs of it and one Jupiler and they’ve sent me Two Jupiler and one Royal, and now the Royal is out of stock until next year. 

They offered to refund me the £3 difference in beer tokens which is big of them. Still, I’ve got a couple of Royal kegs in reserve so should be alright for the foreseeable. 

That seems to happen a bit with them. I ordered 3 when it first came on so I'll use them sparingly as they last for ages.

I've got a couple of mates coming over tomorrow so going put the Spaten and Lowenbrau Octoberfest on. Just trying to work my way through the last of the Kwak tonight, dangerous stuff! I'll order Crew IPA when it comes back on too.

• Upvote 1

On 06/10/2020 at 11:07, Elite said:

I really like Estrella but usually choose it I as a fall back option. Every has their own quirks with drinking and I love trying different beers, so that's my logic. Even if there is a top class beer available, I would usually chose something I haven't tried instead. The only exception would be if it was hard to find and top class. 

Went to a local microbrewery for my birthday and they had different types of Delirium in, fuck me it was heaven. Think I drank 4 different 5/5 beers in a row. 

• Upvote 1

On 06/10/2020 at 13:55, Elite said:

I've never been able to get into real ale type stuff. What would you recommend that's similar to lager as a starting point?

As @Bruce Spanner says, there's loads of nice craft lager type beers out there that are more flavoursome. If you want to move from those more delicate flavours into something more rohbust there's some of the German and Belgium wheat beers as an example of which there's loads available in your supermarket (maybe not always so much in the pub) h I'd say take a look at the erdinger or franzikaner range as a start. Optionally, there's the IPA direction (craft from a keg rather than the English traditional way from a cask), which i always think Punk IPA is a good jumping off point - the benefit of moving from say an Estrella to a punk is visually normally punk will look pretty similar to a lager (although the post lockdown stuff was initially a bit more hazy) and it's cold and fizzy pretty much like a lager, so the big difference is just the hop profile. You can get that all over the place now in pubs and the supermarket. If you enjoy those hoppy flavours that come with a craft IPA, there's such an incredible.world of choice out there. There's literally no end to it - and a lot of those craft breweries will do things that may introduce you to other styles like saison, porters, stouts etc. 

• Upvote 1

On 06/10/2020 at 13:55, Elite said:

One other thing maybe to mention too is if you're going down that craft IPA path, keep an eye on the strength of your beer. When you get a really strong lager, because it's such a delicate style, you can really taste the strength of the beer (and not normally in a good way imo!). With these craft IPA's there's so much going on flavour wise, you can be drinking an 8% or something and have absolutely no idea. 

The other thing that is also worth doing, if you live somewhere that has a good modern craft pub, the people working there will certainly know their beers, so if you can explain the things you're enjoying, they'll help guide you to the beers they have that suit your palate. 

• Upvote 1

Brewdog themselves description... 

Punk IPA is the beer that kick-started it. This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create an explosion of flavour. Bursts of caramel and tropical fruit with an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, precede a spiky bitter finish. This is the beer that started it all - and it’s not done yet...

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/punk-ipa-4-x-can

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Brewdog themselves description... 

Punk IPA is the beer that kick-started it. This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create an explosion of flavour. Bursts of caramel and tropical fruit with an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, precede a spiky bitter finish. This is the beer that started it all - and it’s not done yet...

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/punk-ipa-4-x-can

Fair enough! It still doesn't jump out at me! Haha.