You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's alright, save for the fact everyone who drinks it thinks they've discovered it. 

All the supermarkets: Estrella, Moretti, Peroni, Sol, or Budweiser. 

Bargain booze, all of the above with the addition of 20 Coors for three quid. 

Coors is awful as well. Really don't know how the likes of Carling, Fosters, Coors, etc end up as the mainstays on draught in most pubs all over the country.

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Coors is awful as well. Really don't know how the likes of Carling, Fosters, Coors, etc end up as the mainstays on draught in most pubs all over the country.

What's more surprising is pubs charge about a fiver for a pint of it and the people in there pay it without so much as a whimper.

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone order Carling at a pub but everywhere still does it. 

There are so many weird and wonderful beers around, who thinks I`d rather have a Carling? 

This fella does, first pint after lock down on that shit. Poor fucker 

7DF96807-2C3D-4D18-A5EE-0EF6C711159E.png

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

A lord of the realm stole my Deya tonight, a Deya I drove for three hours for...

Its OK, I have more.

Being meaning to dive in on Deya for a while. 

A few craft bars reopened in Brighton this weekend, might pop in next week for some quality gear 

2 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I've gone mad for drinking Desperados again lately. Tequila flavoured beer wouldn't be everyone's idea of a good sup but I really like it. A bag of peanuts to munch on is nice with it. 

I first discovered that on a Liverpool away game in Marseille years ago, all then"cool" bars in the port sold it. Horrible shit! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I've gone mad for drinking Desperados again lately. Tequila flavoured beer wouldn't be everyone's idea of a good sup but I really like it. A bag of peanuts to munch on is nice with it. 

I love tequila. Like really love it. Once I start I don’t stop till I’m a gibberish wreck, make a lot of unrealistic passes or shit myself. I’m not allowed it anymore on pains of the missus leaving me.

But have never got on with Desparados. Don’t get it 

10 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

Being meaning to dive in on Deya for a while. 

A few craft bars reopened in Brighton this weekend, might pop in next week for some quality gear 

Drove up for the 505, which I assume will be gone soon, so get there when you can.

Deya are probably the best brewery in the country at the minute.

5 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I first discovered that on a Liverpool away game in Marseille years ago, all then"cool" bars in the port sold it. Horrible shit! 

I didn't like it at first but then loved it. Strangely enough I don't seem to get too much of a hangover from it compared to other beers. 

12 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I got absolutely destroyed on that one night, I still get PTSD for vomitting it all up the following day.

• Upvote 1

On 05/08/2020 at 19:55, Red_or_Dead said:

Never had that one, what's it like?

Great set up you've got there.  I'd love to brew my own but just don't have the space (live in pokey flat).  Sorachi Ace hops are brilliant.  An acquired taste but there are not that many beers which use em as some are put off by the taste.

It’s a like a mix between the normal one and a Dunkel Weiss I’d say. Very easy to drink.

• Upvote 1

This is why smaller breweries and craft breweries are important. If the large multi-national breweries have their way, every pub will have their cheapest, shitest lager with the biggest profit margin. That's why Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg and Budweiser are everywhere, and there are plenty of people who want what essentially is a fizzy beer that's light on taste and gets them drunk. Anything with flavour, or that's hoppy, is too far off the palette for them, same with real ale which won't be flash cooled like the lagers listed above.

Most people in here know their stuff, there's sometimes the odd sneer about inventive craft beers but mostly crap beer means for me that I'd prefer to have a soft drink or water instead.

Went to the local last night, had a couple of Purity's Mad Goose outside in this beautiful humid temperature. Beautiful.

• Upvote 3

Just settling down to one or two of these crackers I picked up from the verdant brewery in Falmouth when I was away last week (thanks to @RJ Fan club ). It's an interesting beer as they're using liquid hops for whirlpool/dry hop phase, I actually have some of these myself but not brewed with them yet. It's also rich in body and has the aroma of a NEIPA, but has a hop profile more inline with a west coast IPA, as it tastes quite bitter too. All in all I really like it. 

It might be the last commercial beer I have at home for a little while as I'm currently chilling a NEIPA of my own that I've keg conditioned while I was away. I'll be delighted if that is anywhere near as nice as this one though. 

IMG_20200809_183423.jpg

34 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I don't think moretti or peroni taste of much, although moretti is the more flavoursome. I think they're great for what they were designed to do, when you want something clean to wash down some food if you don't want water. 

Do Italians drink much beer? I've never really thought of it as a big beer drinking country like Germany or Belgium, more a wine and Aperol Spritz type situation.