You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

6 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

I can’t get enough of Magic Rock High Wire Grapefruit at the moment. 

I know Grapefruit is marmite for most but works incredibly well in IPA. Well worth a try. 

Magic Rock are great, they’ve kind of taken their foot of the gas a little and stick to a solid core range though which is a shame.

The Salty Kiss has always been a lovely Gose.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Magic Rock are great, they’ve kind of taken their foot of the gas a little and stick to a solid core range though which is a shame.

The Salty Kiss has always been a lovely Gose.

They keep the prices sensible as well. Surreal Stout is really good too.

12 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

They keep the prices sensible as well. Surreal Stout is really good too.

They’ve got deals with a few supermarkets and their beer is regularly in pubs so they seem to be doing really well, which is great as they’re consistently good. 

The North is doing some great stuff beer wise, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Panona, Thornbridge, Wylam, North etc doing great stuff.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They’ve got deals with a few supermarkets and their beer is regularly in pubs so they seem to be doing really well, which is great as they’re consistently good. 

The North is doing some great stuff beer wise, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Panona, Thornbridge, Wylam, North etc doing great stuff.

Definitely, I’ve had the Cloudwater/Brewdog collaboration, that’s great.

North Brewing Co Lost Cosmonauts is another great IPA. 7.2%, don’t need too many. The Sputnik is really solid too.

11 hours ago, paddyberger said:

I can’t get enough of Magic Rock High Wire Grapefruit at the moment. 

I know Grapefruit is marmite for most but works incredibly well in IPA. Well worth a try. 

How does it compare with Elvis juice? 

I tried this milkshake IPA yesterday. It was a nice beer, but not really for me beyond 1. It was sickly sweet. 

IMG_20200803_173103.jpg

30 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

How does it compare with Elvis juice? 

I tried this milkshake IPA yesterday. It was a nice beer, but not really for me beyond 1. It was sickly sweet. 

IMG_20200803_173103.jpg

Of the two I prefer Elvis juice as it’s more tart, but it’s personal preference, both solid beers.

Avoid Black Sheep’s ‘lemon sour’ it’s fucking awful, as are most of their ‘craft’ beers they’ve jumped on the bandwagon of. They should stick to their core range as they’ve nailed those.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Of the two I prefer Elvis juice as it’s more tart, but it’s personal preference, both solid beers.

Avoid Black Sheep’s ‘lemon sour’ it’s fucking awful, as are most of their ‘craft’ beers they’ve jumped on the bandwagon of. They should stick to their core range as they’ve nailed those.

I don't like a sour to be honest. I know everyone has been going mad for them, but they're not really for me. 

I don't know a lot of black sheep stuff, it's just something I saw in the supermarket and thought milkshake might be good for a summers day. And I was looking for another can to make up my "4 for" in Tesco! 

On 24/07/2020 at 20:49, Fluter in Dakota said:

That's an exceptional deal, doesn't look like they do that anymore judging by their website. £3 a beer isn't particularly expensive, to be fair.

I’ve not been able to find the same deal I signed up for but if you go to https://www.beer52.com/ramble you can get 8 beers for £5.95 postage. 

I’ve cancelled my subscription as full price it’s shite and there were far too many fruit beers for my liking but it’s worth getting the first case free. 

4 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Not having a drink until a certain sporting event at the end of the month so I've decided to stock up the 'cellar' (bottom of the wardrobe).

IMG_20200804_143306.jpg

Just don't confuse them for shoes, you might cut your feet.

5 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Not having a drink until a certain sporting event at the end of the month so I've decided to stock up the 'cellar' (bottom of the wardrobe).

IMG_20200804_143306.jpg

Little Earth are so good! 

I had the Graf a couple of weeks back and it was amazing. I’ve got another three waiting to go in the cupboard.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Little Earth are so good! 

I had the Graf a couple of weeks back and it was amazing. I’ve got another three waiting to go in the cupboard.

Got that one last Christmas and forgot to drink it then.  Some top beers but always super expensive - you pay for what you get though.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I’ve not been able to find the same deal I signed up for but if you go to https://www.beer52.com/ramble you can get 8 beers for £5.95 postage. 

I’ve cancelled my subscription as full price it’s shite and there were far too many fruit beers for my liking but it’s worth getting the first case free. 

Nice work, ordered it up - rude not to at that price. I was also tempted to order the Cyberfest 3 which was 12 for £34.99 but I've held back on that. I'll see how the beers are on Saturday assuming they arrive by then

Repped, obvs.

10 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Nice work, ordered it up - rude not to at that price. I was also tempted to order the Cyberfest 3 which was 12 for £34.99 but I've held back on that. I'll see how the beers are on Saturday assuming they arrive by then

Repped, obvs.

The beers in the normal cases are pretty avarage, the cyberfest ones they’ve upped their game with and are good value for money with some really decent stuff.

Beware the subscription! 

• Upvote 1

I know there are probably homebrewers hiding out in here. 

Anyone want to help me convert 10 lb of bananas into something useful i.e. banana wine?  The recipes I've seen require all kinds of additives that I really can't be arsed with and loads of sugar (which seems like cheating; it's in the bananas dummy). 

Looking for something more ghetto :)

1 hour ago, Rotpeter said:

I know there are probably homebrewers hiding out in here. 

Anyone want to help me convert 10 lb of bananas into something useful i.e. banana wine?  The recipes I've seen require all kinds of additives that I really can't be arsed with and loads of sugar (which seems like cheating; it's in the bananas dummy). 

Looking for something more ghetto :)

I've been thinking of doing a banana porter. Although the porter brew I'm making right now I'm really happy with my recipe and I'm reluctant to brew something I won't be as keen to drink if it fucks up. I'm an IPA drinker really and I have the occasional porter - and I have some family who love my porter too, so if I experiment (like I posted recently in this thread chucking a bottle of lilt in before the boil on an IPA), I'll experiment with IPA as I'm more likely to drink it. I think though if I was to use banana in either porter or stout I'd be tempted to "dry hop" with them. 

I'm on a week off work this week, so while I've tried to cut back a little on booze since the trophy lift until the new season starts, I'm allowing myself a pass this week. 

So here's one I picked up from the supermarket. It's not too bad. I think it's a little thin in the body and the head retention was shite (barely lasted the time to take a photo), but the flavours are pretty nice and balanced. And I like the brewery name. 

IMG_20200804_192740.jpg

IMG_20200804_192539.jpg

8 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I'm on a week off work this week, so while I've tried to cut back a little on booze since the trophy lift until the new season starts, I'm allowing myself a pass this week. 

So here's one I picked up from the supermarket. It's not too bad. I think it's a little thin in the body and the head retention was shite (barely lasted the time to take a photo), but the flavours are pretty nice and balanced. And I like the brewery name. 

IMG_20200804_192740.jpg

IMG_20200804_192539.jpg

I love Hitachino nest. Picked some up in Waitrose the other day along with some Erdinger Pikantus which is a 7.3% variety of Erdinger. 

Bought myself one of those Perfect Draft machines @paddyberger was talking about and took delivery today of kegs of Franziskaner, Hoegaarden and Hertog Jan. 

9C78BD35-3928-4007-9006-23E61F3A73DA.png

• Upvote 2