You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

Don't think I can really drink now either. Had a bottle of Budweiser before that Hobgoblin then didn't even make it to the end of the Hobgoblin before I felt bored, tired and shit. I'd been more focused on listening to music/reading stuff online though and after so much time had passed couldn't be bothered with the rest of it. Could probably drink a fair amount if I focused on it more but no way is it worth the shitty feeling I get after which drags on for hours.

Baileys and similar drinks are what I have to be more careful with as it's so easy to go through them quickly, but once the feeling of the alcohol hits enough maybe that'd stop in a similar way too.

Have got two more bottles of Hobgoblin in a different flavour that I've not tried so might have one over the next few days to see what it's like then leave one for some other time.

33 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ll have a pint of Guinness and then switch to whiskey or gin with lemonade and drink it slowly.

Have got some Captain Morgan's rum that was bought last year for crimbo but never found a fizzy drink I was happy to drink with it (I didn't put effort into trying, just wasn't anything around in the house I liked at the time.) Might end up doing something similar with that eventually.

I'm a bit offended by Morgan himself too I think with him being a pirate, more of a ninja person.

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Have got some Captain Morgan's rum that was bought last year for crimbo but never found a fizzy drink I was happy to drink with it (I didn't put effort into trying, just wasn't anything around in the house I liked at the time.) Might end up doing something similar with that eventually.

I'm a bit offended by Morgan himself too I think with him being a pirate, more of a ninja person.

Have you tried Ginger Ale mate? 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Not thought of that but it could work so might try it, thanks. Might give it a go over the weekend.

Should have some Baileys shortly too so going to have a couple for the first time since around christmas with one of these :

aNTgzop.png

12 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Not thought of that but it could work so might try it, thanks. Might give it a go over the weekend.

Should have some Baileys shortly too so going to have a couple for the first time since around christmas with one of these :

It fucking works a treat and you will try it young man. 

I set up a £10 a month deal with these:

https://honestbrew.co.uk/

A bit like Park Hampers, but not run by union bashing cunts (as far as I know). Now I know the owner of Park did some stirling work in a particular sport on Merseyside, but he was still a cunt. Anyway, Honestbrew are in no way affiliated with Park, so just let it go.

This is one I have grown fond of recently:

Cloudwater - DIPA 8.5% Can - brewed for spring/summer 2019

It costs £6.59, but I'll spend my Benefit money how I like, thank you.

I thought about this but it reminds me too much of Bjornebye when we had shore leave:

Laugar - Txusselhop DDH IPA

On 15/11/2019 at 17:11, Bjornebye said:

On 15/11/2019 at 18:18, Mudface said:

Ginger ale is great with rum.

Thanks! Tastes great. At first I had way too much rum in and it sucked, but after drinking about a third of that down then filling it back up with ale it works really well.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Thanks! Tastes great. At first I had way too much rum in and it sucked, but after drinking about a third of that down then filling it back up with ale it works really well.

Yeah, about a pint of rum and a thimbleful of ginger ale is ideal, anything more just ruins it.

Just now, Mudface said:

Yeah, about a pint of rum and a thimbleful of ginger ale is ideal, anything more just ruins it.

Haha, think I had about a third of a glass of rum at the start. I only want one of them (also got 1 baileys and a last hobgoblin) so I put more in that I usually would've done.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Haha, think I had about a third of a glass of rum at the start. I only want one of them (also got 1 baileys and a last hobgoblin) so I put more in that I usually would've done.

Aye, on a vaguely related note, it's surprising how small pub measures actually are and how easy it is to exceed them when drinking at home. I rarely drink spirits at home after some very painful experiences (although I maintain topping up 440 ml cans of beer in a pint glass with whisky rather than lemonade is inspired and not potential grounds for divorce).

18 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Aye, on a vaguely related note, it's surprising how small pub measures actually are and how easy it is to exceed them when drinking at home. I rarely drink spirits at home after some very painful experiences (although I maintain topping up 440 ml cans of beer in a pint glass with whisky rather than lemonade is inspired and not potential grounds for divorce).

Can't even remember how much pubs put in it's been so long since I had something like that from one (can remember it was a shitty amount though I think), have had some really bad experiences with drink at home too, which is why I try to make a point of only having one or two of whatever it is now if possible. You're making me wonder what hobgoblin with whisky would taste like now as well but am gonna pass on trying it out tonight I think!

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Can't even remember how much pubs put in it's been so long since I had something like that from one (can remember it was a shitty amount though I think), have had some really bad experiences with drink at home too, which is why I try to make a point of only having one or two of whatever it is now if possible. You're making me wonder what hobgoblin with whisky would taste like now as well but am gonna pass on trying it out tonight I think!

Haha, yeah, don't bother with it, whisky topped lager or bitter tastes better coming back up than it does going down... 

Pub measures used to be 25ml, and a little more in Scotland (28ml?). Home measures are invariably a lot more.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Haha, yeah, don't bother with it, whisky topped lager or bitter tastes better coming back up than it does going down... 

Pub measures used to be 25ml, and a little more in Scotland (28ml?). Home measures are invariably a lot more.

Yeah I guess it might not be too good an idea adding whisky to normal lager, some of the Wychwood drinks are that bizarre though with the extra flavours they add that it might not be too bad in some of them. Will maybe try it in future (or with rum which is what I've got now) but doubt I'll make a habit of it.

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

Yeah I drank spirits for a long time just hand pouring them. I was fucking horrified when I compared a pub measure to what I was serving myself.

On 15/11/2019 at 13:44, Karl_b said:

I haven't had a drink for months and have reached a stage where I may just decide to quit altogether, for health reasons (bad bowels + beer = worse bowels). Gutted, I fucking love beer, and rum.

Everyone is different. I have chronic bowel condition also abstained completely on medical advice for two years did not make any difference. What I find in moderation is that beer actually helps. Spoke to consultant he said yeah may help just go with it. Great reason to swerve lagers and get into IPA s and other beers since I only take a couple. Only thing is I am becoming beer bore.  My advice don't give up on something you enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone looking to give, or receive, a nice Christmas present should have a look at ‘The Sub’ machines on Beerwulf. 

Basically a draught beer machine, you buy 2L kegs called Torps which fit into the machine and it cools them down to 2 degrees and you just pour your own pint as and when you want it. Couple of my mates and my brother have got one and the beer is lovely out of them so the Mrs has got me one for Christmas. 

Do tons of different types of beer too from common ones like Heineken, Birra Moretti and CruzCampo to IPAs, wheat beers and 8% abbey beers. They’re normally £109 for the machine but on offer at the minute for £99.99 with four free torps of either Heineken or Birra Moretti. 

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/sale

EF2F5CC4-D037-4EF9-9DF8-A8BA74D5296A.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Aren't the torps pretty expensive?

About £7-8 each which isn’t a bad price considering you get four pints in them. Some of the more exotic ones, such as 8-10% Belgian beers are more expensive like, but the majority work out less than £2 a pint I’d say. They have quite good deals on as well most of the time. 

You pay postage on them unless you order a box of eight which is free postage. That’s probably what I’ll do and go halves on the order with my brother or one of my mates.