You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

My 5.0 rating for the Aoraki was heavily influenced by the amount of beer I'd drunk heavily I guess, probably a time and place and mood rating.

Thanks to you fuckers I've now got a fridge top shelf full of Tesco beers, when Mrs TheBitch questioned why I wasn't buying the 8.0% Beavertown I told her my friends on the internet said it was shit.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TheBitch said:

My 5.0 rating for the Aoraki was heavily influenced by the amount of beer I'd drunk heavily I guess, probably a time and place and mood rating.

Thanks to you fuckers I've now got a fridge top shelf full of Tesco beers, when Mrs TheBitch questioned why I wasn't buying the 8.0% Beavertown I told her my friends on the internet said it was shit.

Have you had the Space Hulk yet? Just added most of the new ones to our Tesco order, will wait for a telling off shortly.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Been meaning to try this for a while, only one shop in my area sells it.

Dangerous brew, goes down too quickly. Could get messy this afternoon.

20220701_120806.jpg

Is this your riposte to Carvalho Diablo's entries in the foodie thread? 

As there's no cake thread, it seems best to put it here, instead. I'm sure many dedicated ale aficianados (The aa alliteration is coincidental, really) would appreciate a cake like this for their birthday.

In the queue at Aldi yesterday, I saw some alcohol-free lager and was surprised at the price, at 99c for a 500ml bottle, so it was too good a deal to not at least give it a try. I can honestly say that it's the first alcohol free beer I would happily buy again. Any others I've tried have been bloody awful and either devoid of any taste at all, or were just dreadful.

5 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

As there's no cake thread, it seems best to put it here, instead. I'm sure many dedicated ale aficianados (The aa alliteration is coincidental, really) would appreciate a cake like this for their birthday.

In the queue at Aldi yesterday, I saw some alcohol-free lager and was surprised at the price, at 99c for a 500ml bottle, so it was too good a deal to not at least give it a try. I can honestly say that it's the first alcohol free beer I would happily buy again. Any others I've tried have been bloody awful and either devoid of any taste at all, or were just dreadful.

There's a few decent AF beers now. My personal favourite is the Erdinger one. 

If like me you like trying lots of different beers, you could do worse than getting the  beer merchants mystery box. £35 for 24, most of the cans and bottles are 500ml instead of 330ml. Lots of decent german beers and only one obvious dud which was still interesting; a german cola mix (non-alcoholic). Here are some of the craft beers:

IMG_20220707_112419.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2022 at 20:02, Red_or_Dead said:

45 days off it, back off the wagon. Mix of supermrket nd beer shop purchases. 

IMG_20220718_155843.jpg

That Polish one third from the left is fantastic, all their beers are. Did you manage to get it at a supermarket? 

8 hours ago, Remmie said:

Is that £100 worth? 

Easily, probably closer to £200, the 3 Fontaine was about £45 a year or so back on its own.

Ive built up quite a cellar over the past few years and got really in to collecting/hunting down rare and elusive beers, but it’s getting ridiculous now, so I’m just inviting friends round to drink stupid beer geek stuff until we fall over.

I’m trying to drink them all before I head back to Sudan, only another 20/30 to go…

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Remmie said:

That Polish one third from the left is fantastic, all their beers are. Did you manage to get it at a supermarket? 

One of my students (who is Polish) got it for me along with a bottle of Zubrowka.  I would assume she got it from a Polish shop.  Haven't tried it yet, I am sucker for a well made dark beer.

5 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Easily, probably closer to £200, the 3 Fontaine was about £45 a year or so back on its own.

Ive built up quite a cellar over the past few years and got really in to collecting/hunting down rare and elusive beers, but it’s getting ridiculous now, so I’m just inviting friends round to drink stupid beer geek stuff until we fall over.

I’m trying to drink them all before I head back to Sudan, only another 20/30 to go…

'kinell, £45 for a beer! It better be good for that. Now of course I want one. 

• Upvote 1

On 08/07/2022 at 17:35, Remmie said:

If like me you like trying lots of different beers, you could do worse than getting the  beer merchants mystery box. £35 for 24, most of the cans and bottles are 500ml instead of 330ml. Lots of decent german beers and only one obvious dud which was still interesting; a german cola mix (non-alcoholic). Here are some of the craft beers:

IMG_20220707_112419.jpg

Took your advice and it's pretty good... better than Beer 52 and Flavourly

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mattyq said:

Took your advice and it's pretty good... better than Beer 52 and Flavourly

Flavourly is shite isnt it? Loads of one dimensional session IPAs. Beer 52 is a bit better but pretty unpredictable.