You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

On 01/08/2022 at 19:32, Remmie said:

They are plenty of alternatives out there even if most IPAs aren't my thing, NEIPAs and DIPAs are. Like everything there are shite and decent versions. 

The beer masters mystery box deal I mentioned earlier is currently £24 for 24. This time round I got 2 of most things including 2 different Deyas a couple Omnipollos and only a couple below 440ml. No German beers this time, all craft beer stuff. Beak seem to do some nice beers as do Northern monk. And I just had this amazing maple syrup beer, though I paid £4.50 for this and that was on sale at 50% off. As thick as molasses. There are 2x2 bizarre protein shake lassi goses though and apparently they are 6% but taste like pure sugar. I tried to fob one off on the mrs but she wasnt having it. Maybe I can mix it with something to make it nice. Any suggestions? 

imgly_7370118598833041534.jpg

You weren’t wrong about the Lassi Gose one, even my Dad turned his nose up after a taste and it went down the sink. I’ll work the other one on to one of my mates next time they are round!

On 01/08/2022 at 21:37, Bruce Spanner said:

https://www.beermerchants.com/magical-mystery-box

Sold out though.

They do them quite regularly though.

Try hoptimism as well, they usually do really good mystery boxes and you’ll get lots of really good beer and a few curve balls.

I ordered a box before I went away, not tried any of them yet, will be cracking them open for an event at 12pm.

IMG_20220728_111722.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 02/08/2022 at 18:00, Paulie Dangerously said:

Went to a lake today which happened to have a local microbrewery connected to it. The French have caught onto beer and frankly they're smashing it. 

20220802_133044.jpg

One of the big plusses of the Paris final is there was loads of craft ale and surprisingly cheap for Paris. In fact I would say it was cheaper than London and there was a time I would expect Paris to be double London price and there was no choice. 

On 04/08/2022 at 00:16, Bruce Spanner said:

Polly’s is a really good comparison.

They both seem to have their recipe base and then build the hop profiles on top, which just leads to much of a muchness, but still solid beers.

Anyhows that box looks insane value, enjoy! 

Verdant is another. I blame the yeast. They all run a house yeast and I think that's what makes them all samey. 

2 hours ago, paddyberger said:

Steady Rolling Man in there, a thread favourite. 

Not had that for a while (2020 on tap at Trembling Madness, York) - seemed okay going off my Untappd review.  Had two so far from the box, Not really that impressed - big hop forward beers aren't so great out of date.

[edit] Had one of the Beak's - much better, but they've been consistently good for ages.

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've just gone into the clerkenwell brewdog. They've got that vocation aoraki on tap, which is the best Tesco beer at the moment... £6.55 per half pint! Like fuck off! I was genuinely excited it was on to see how it compares to the canned version. But honestly, fuck that. 

Yeah Fuck that shit. Brewdog are cunts anyway.

• Upvote 2

I font have particularly strong opinions on Brewdog, some of their stuff is nice, but yeah definitely overpriced. But the biggest pile of bollocks is the absolute shite they write on their cans, it channels those wine cunts Jilly Goolden and Oz Clarke (why do I remember their names?) 

• Upvote 1

I was just about to bump this in case anyone missed it, but it looks like they must have sold out. Luckily I got in earlier. This is what was in it, not bad at an average of 2 quid per can.... 

2 x Life & Death Hazy Edition | 440ml 6.5%

2 x Life & Death Gold Edition | 440ml 7.4% 

2 x Aoraki | DIPA 440ml 8.0%

2 x Bread & Butter | Dry Hopped Pale 440ml 3.9%

2 x Perfect Storm | New England Pale Ale 440ml 6.6%

2 x Love & Hate | New England IPA 440ml 7.2% 

2 x Day Trip | Pale Ale 440ml 5.0%

2 x Toucan Tropic | DDH IPA 440ml 6.7%

2 x Elevation | Coconut NEIPA 440ml 6.2%

2 x Big Squeeze | Mango Pale Ale 440ml 4.0% 

2 x Roll With It | DDH Pale Ale 440ml 5.2% 

2 x Hop, Skip & Juice | Hazy Pale Ale 440ml 5.7%

On 23/08/2022 at 21:40, Barrington Womble said:

I've just gone into the clerkenwell brewdog. They've got that vocation aoraki on tap, which is the best Tesco beer at the moment... £6.55 per half pint! Like fuck off! I was genuinely excited it was on to see how it compares to the canned version. But honestly, fuck that. 

This is disgusting. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2022 at 22:11, paddyberger said:

I’ll give them all a go. My Dad’s coming for a few days tomorrow so no doubt they’ll be gone in no time.

The feathers ones are the Omnipollos, they are usually about 10 quid a can so that a shame. 

I had one of the feather ones this evening, Bianca:

IMG_20220904_001535.jpg

Truly one of the most bizarre beers I have ever eaten. Was more of a cocktail than a beer, but was infinitely better than that awful protein shake cousin. 

I have another one left in the fridge and don't feel that gutted. Mental that the rrp is £15 a can though 

9 hours ago, Remmie said:

I had one of the feather ones this evening, Bianca:

IMG_20220904_001535.jpg

Truly one of the most bizarre beers I have ever eaten. Was more of a cocktail than a beer, but was infinitely better than that awful protein shake cousin. 

I have another one left in the fridge and don't feel that gutted. Mental that the rrp is £15 a can though 

At least that one was drinkable. I’ve got about 5 left and will pick up another box when in stock. 

1 hour ago, paddyberger said:

At least that one was drinkable. I’ve got about 5 left and will pick up another box when in stock. 

5 of those Protein shake things? Christ!

Need another beer deal as mystery box is out of stock at the moment, anyone know a deal?

On 10/09/2022 at 15:42, Red_or_Dead said:

All (well most) of the Oktoberfest beers are out. These and the Alpinefest gear will soften the blow of no games this weekend. 

IMG_20220910_151301.jpg

Hacker Pschorr.....I've had some ....uh.........."unfortunate" instances with that at The Hole In The Wall near Waterloo Station......it packs a punch that you dont notice till your legs decline to work