You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I didn't know Logan Plant had gone, in fact I thought I was only reading last week about his involvement! Maybe it was an old article. 

Those stock beers have stayed ok. In fact I was only saying to a mate last week, they've maintained consistency in them, so you know what you're getting, unlike brewdog where a beer just changes personality overnight and you can't really trust the label. 

Sold it to Heineken, well half of it, and said ‘I’ll leave this to you’ and disappears on a forever holiday only having control of the small batch/experimental stuff if I remember rightly.

Nice work if you can get it! 

10 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Sold it to Heineken, well half of it, and said ‘I’ll leave this to you’ and disappears on a forever holiday only having control of the small batch/experimental stuff if I remember rightly.

Nice work if you can get it! 

Yeah, I'd settle for that job. Fair fucks to him. Although I'm guessing life wasn't too tough for him to begin with. 

27 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

I did the Bermondsey Beer Mile with my Dad at the weekend. Loads of cracking beers, recommended. 

Absoultly love it, one of life’s great pleasures.

I’m going to be riding down there a few times today over the next month or so, let me know if you’re about? 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

@sh#t waffle and @Bruce Spanner - I had that Beavertown solarflare tonight. I've absolutely no idea how you can make an 8% beer so bland. It's really weird. Even if they stripped all the flavour from the hopes, you think you'd be left with a Tennant's super or something. Very weird. 

Apart from Gamma and Neck Oil I avoid now, though I’m always pleased to see them in a bar.

They did a nice Pinot Sour a whole back and that’s the last one I actually enjoyed.

The small batch stuff is really good through.

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

@sh#t waffle and @Bruce Spanner - I had that Beavertown solarflare tonight. I've absolutely no idea how you can make an 8% beer so bland. It's really weird. Even if they stripped all the flavour from the hopes, you think you'd be left with a Tennant's super or something. Very weird. 

Yep, felt exactly the same, tasted of nothing.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Apart from Gamma and Neck Oil I avoid now, though I’m always pleased to see them in a bar.

They did a nice Pinot Sour a whole back and that’s the last one I actually enjoyed.

The small batch stuff is really good through.

I can't do neck oil. Sessions have no interest for me and it's becoming a major issue that there's pubs everywhere with half a dozen ipa's and you struggle to get one over 4.5%. I like Gamma though, although it weirdly deletes my memory. Weird you should say Heineken owns them as that's the only other beer to have that same consistent effect. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

@sh#t waffle and @Bruce Spanner - I had that Beavertown solarflare tonight. I've absolutely no idea how you can make an 8% beer so bland. It's really weird. Even if they stripped all the flavour from the hops, you think you'd be left with a Tennant's super or something. Very weird. 

I had the Heavy Gravity a few weeks back, that was bang average as well.

I went to Belgium in spring and was blown away by the quality and variety of the beer, somethings don't live up to the hype, but Belgium Beer is a different level, matching the quality of fine wines. I was not a fan of all belgium styles until I tried them over there, but wow just wow. Particualrly a fan of the gueuze lambic style (sour) and Kreiks (sour-fruit), an aquired taste but once you get used to them, they are literally the champagne of beer. I was fortunate to visit 3 brilliant brewerys and get the full tour and samples including 3-Fountain, Oud Bersel and Cantillon.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

Just seen Bitch has rated that vocation a 5.

I’ll be cracking that one tonight and clearing the shelves of that good 

I do enjoy vocation beer, they really go for it with the hops and I think they're better than most of finding the balance in the sessions - not that I really buy them, but I do end up with them people who buy for presents etc.

I think up to now 15 mile round trip has been my favourite supermarket purchase. It looks like this might be it's replacement. 

7 hours ago, RJ Fan club said:

Just seen Bitch has rated that vocation a 5.

I’ll be cracking that one tonight and clearing the shelves of that good 

It's got to be said, he's not too wrong. I think probably the best supermarket beer I've had. I couldn't quite give it a 5 though. I wish I had a can of 15 Mile though to test them back to back. 

IMG20220622180601.jpg

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's got to be said, he's not too wrong. I think probably the best supermarket beer I've had. I couldn't quite give it a 5 though. I wish I had a can of 15 Mile though to test them back to back. 

IMG20220622180601.jpg

Just seen your rating on Untappd.

I’m putting the kids to bed and cracking that bad boy open, if I like it that much I’m going to Tesco on my way the office tomorrow and clearing the cunt out

1 hour ago, RJ Fan club said:

I’m somewhere between a 4.5 and 4.75, but fucking great for the money 

I went for 4.75. I looked at the 4.75s and above that I've given in the past - the only ones from the supermarket for sure are this one and 15 mile. There's a couple of northern monks in there too which I may have bought in the supermarket or you could at least get them there, but I'm not certain about that (double heathen 2022 and divine faith 21). So as supermarket beers go, it's certainly as good as it gets. Was it £3.75? Fucking great price if so. 

On 22/06/2022 at 18:16, Barrington Womble said:

IMG20220622180601.jpg

Not drinking this month (dry June is a lot fucking harder than dry January when the weather's great and everyone's out getting smashed! but got this and some of the other new supermarket ones in the beer fridge waiting.  That said, I've never been that keen on Vocation, all but two which I have had I've not been impressed with.

On 22/06/2022 at 10:32, RJ Fan club said:

@Barrington Womble

Tesco had a load of new ones, but far fewer overall. The South is new too, looks similar but to a sour they did but it been changed up

31B08DD5-C82A-409B-90A2-553203E18FA9.jpeg

I'm just sampling the Stiggy Pop. It is also very nice and disturbingly smashable. It seems to get better the more I drink. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1