You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

6 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

Thanks mate, but I should have said 'apart from Cooper's'! Really like all their beers.

Have been here many times over the years (my wife is from Sydney) and up until a few years ago I was jealous of how easy it was to get a beer like Cooper's on draft when in the UK we only really had lager and real ale (which I love but not all the time).

But I think in the last few years the UK has moved way ahead of Australia in terms of variety and quality of craft beer both on draft and in shops.

When I was over in Perth they were teaming with independant breweries and had loads of varieties of craft beers (in fact I tried 100 different new beers in 2 weeks according to my beer tasting app), I'd be pretty surprised if they were ahead of Sydney in this field. The more established names I seem to recall apart from Coopers would be Nail, Little creatures, James Squire and Feral.

I should probably clarify, it's not that there isn't a big craft scene, it' more that I don't think many of the beers I've tried since I've been here have been particularly impressive – nothing to the standard of Cloudwater, Pollys etc. They may well be out there, but I've just not found them!

1 minute ago, sh#t waffle said:

I should probably clarify, it's not that there isn't a big craft scene, it' more that I don't think many of the beers I've tried since I've been here have been particularly impressive – nothing to the standard of Cloudwater, Pollys etc. They may well be out there, but I've just not found them!

I guess you will just have to keep on doing field studies to find the holy grail of amber ale

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Fuck me, does that one top right say 11%?

Put hairs on your chest that young man.

It does. 

I’ve had it in the fridge since Christmas and haven’t had the balls to take it on yet but my OCD kicked in at the lack of symmetry with the cans so added it to the picture then hastily shoved it to the back of the fridge again out of sight. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

It does. 

I’ve had it in the fridge since Christmas and haven’t had the balls to take it on yet but my OCD kicked in at the lack of symmetry with the cans so added it to the picture then hastily shoved it to the back of the fridge again out of sight. 

Haha!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2022 at 06:52, Remmie said:

When I was over in Perth they were teaming with independant breweries and had loads of varieties of craft beers (in fact I tried 100 different new beers in 2 weeks according to my beer tasting app), I'd be pretty surprised if they were ahead of Sydney in this field. The more established names I seem to recall apart from Coopers would be Nail, Little creatures, James Squire and Feral.

Just back from visiting my kids in Melbourne and Brisbane and was impressed with the variety of ales svailable. Especially compared to here in SA.

On 08/06/2022 at 19:29, sh#t waffle said:

Think this might be the best supermarket beer I've had, love it - £3 from Tesco.

40E3BA7D-6F5A-45C9-8631-4EA1F92E1FF9.jpeg

I noticed Tesco's have a whole new bunch of top shelf beers. I got that one and this one, which I preferred. I've also picked up a new brewdog (Almost famous) which is ok. Plus a Beavertown hazy called solarflare at 8% and a vocation DIPA I can't recall the name of also at 8%. I've not tried the last 2 yet. 

IMG20220619181612.jpg

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I noticed Tesco's have a whole new bunch of top shelf beers. I got that one and this one, which I preferred. I've also picked up a new brewdog (Almost famous) which is ok. Plus a Beavertown hazy called solarflare at 8% and a vocation DIPA I can't recall the name of also at 8%. I've not tried the last 2 yet. 

IMG20220619181612.jpg

I’ve been whizzing through their new offer recently. Think my store gets them early.

I don’t want to alarm you but they seem to be dramatically running down the range, in my local store at least. Might go and panic but tomorrow as I usually do a big shop on a Tuesday 

33 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

I’ve been whizzing through their new offer recently. Think my store gets them early.

I don’t want to alarm you but they seem to be dramatically running down the range, in my local store at least. Might go and panic but tomorrow as I usually do a big shop on a Tuesday 

I did notice when I was there there were no stouts/porters, which seemed weird. There was about 20 beers all together in the individual craft section, of which about half were older ones (like Brewdogs Mr President and Buxton king slayer, which I love). 

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

IMG20220619181612.jpg

Funnily enough, the cans I had of the one I raved about after the first week were not as good - still nice, but nothing to write home about. Thought the Beavertown one was really average – and haven't had the Brewdog one.

25 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

Funnily enough, the cans I had of the one I raved about after the first week were not as good - still nice, but nothing to write home about. Thought the Beavertown one was really average – and haven't had the Brewdog one.

Shame about the Beavertown one, I was really looking forward to that. I've not had much of their stuff outside of the stock gamma/lupaloid (which I like), so was hoping for something a bit special. 

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Shame about the Beavertown one, I was really looking forward to that. I've not had much of their stuff outside of the stock gamma/lupaloid (which I like), so was hoping for something a bit special. 

Logan Plant sold his controlling stake a while back and the output has gone way down to the point where they’re just a commercial brand now and not really trying to innovate anymore.

He did at one point do some really good stuff under Beavertown X, or something like that which he oversaw. They did the small batch limited release stuff which was really good, but I’ve not seen any for a while. 

Edit: Now called Tempus 

https://beavertownbrewery.co.uk/collections/tempus

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Logan Plant sold his controlling stake a while back and the output has gone way down to the point where they’re just a commercial brand now and not really trying to innovate anymore.

He did at one point do some really good stuff under Beavertown X, or something like that which he oversaw. They did the small batch limited release stuff which was really good, but I’ve not seen any for a while. 

Edit: Now called Tempus 

https://beavertownbrewery.co.uk/collections/tempus

I didn't know Logan Plant had gone, in fact I thought I was only reading last week about his involvement! Maybe it was an old article. 

Those stock beers have stayed ok. In fact I was only saying to a mate last week, they've maintained consistency in them, so you know what you're getting, unlike brewdog where a beer just changes personality overnight and you can't really trust the label.