You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

Just opened the whole advent calendar in a pique of frustration at getting another supermarket available beer.

It gets a bit better, but still far below previous levels, with barring a few, beers I’ve had before, no special or exclusive, though they’ll argue a couple are for none subscription members.

Feels like they were emptying the shelves in the warehouse and threw in a few decent beers.

Disappointing and expensive. 

30 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Just opened the whole advent calendar in a pique of frustration at getting another supermarket available beer.

It gets a bit better, but still far below previous levels, with barring a few, beers I’ve had before, no special or exclusive, though they’ll argue a couple are for none subscription members.

Feels like they were emptying the shelves in the warehouse and threw in a few decent beers.

Gutted for you, that’s a premium price compared to most calendars and you should expect better.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

after months of drinking random shite too, it must be soul destroying. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It’s not that it’s bad, it just isn’t a patch on previous ones.

I have a fridge full of the good stuff though, don’t you worry! 

good man. i have not had a beer since thursday, i am getting withdrawal symptoms now. and this thread isn't helping. 

speaking of last week, i had this rather splendid barley wine at the goose island pub last week before and after the derby. it was almost like a brandy. 

image.png

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

good man. i have not had a beer since thursday, i am getting withdrawal symptoms now. and this thread isn't helping. 

speaking of last week, i had this rather splendid barley wine at the goose island pub last week before and after the derby. it was almost like a brandy. 

image.png

My mates dad used to make his own. I remember having a couple of pints one NYE before we went out when we were younguns, rotten. 

I bought the Tiny Rebel advent calendar and immediately got buyer's remorse as I find a lot of their beers overly novelty. Think I just ordered it because it came in a jazzy box.

But actually I've been incredibly impressed so far, even the flavoured ones have been more restrained and less sickly - and some of the non-flavoured ones have been fantastic. Had a Nordic IPA last night which was superb.

• Upvote 1

On 08/12/2021 at 15:12, sh#t waffle said:

I bought the Tiny Rebel advent calendar and immediately got buyer's remorse as I find a lot of their beers overly novelty. Think I just ordered it because it came in a jazzy box.

But actually I've been incredibly impressed so far, even the flavoured ones have been more restrained and less sickly - and some of the non-flavoured ones have been fantastic. Had a Nordic IPA last night which was superb.

Jinxed it by writing this – the last three days have seen some godawful blue raspberry sour (not sour in the least and instead tasted like an alcopop), a take on a shandy bass (which I was actually looking forward to but which was utter shite), and today a Florida Orange IPA 'inspired by' Sunny D. Not even really blaming Tiny Rebel as that's what they do, but still a massive let down after the first 11 days...

So I'm on a home made advent calendar, hand selected by my 10 year old daughter. I've had my first beer from it tonight (in fact my first beer since the day after the derby, which feels a bit insane). It is a pretty decent start. I can't taste any coconut or macaroon, but it's a pretty decent beer despite that. 

IMG_20211215_200300.jpg

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So I'm on a home made advent calendar, hand selected by my 10 year old daughter. I've had my first beer from it tonight (in fact my first beer since the day after the derby, which feels a bit insane). It is a pretty decent start. I can't taste any coconut or macaroon, but it's a pretty decent beer despite that. 

IMG_20211215_200300.jpg

Good stuff, looks too dark for me that though, I can only drink golden ales, anything approaching stout or other dark territory is too heavy for me and makes me do a few jack splats the next morning.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Good stuff, looks too dark for me that though, I can only drink golden ales, anything approaching stout or other dark territory is too heavy for me and makes me do a few jack splats the next morning.

I enjoy dark beers, although IPAs are my go to. These sweet stouts and porters that seem to be the rage with craft brewers, I rarely want more than one as they're just too sweet for me - in fact something like I've just had I would happily share with someone. 

Strangely this one was a little more carbonated than I'd expect, but it didn't spoil it. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

It’s one of my go-to beers on my Blade. 

01FAB18E-635B-4A7E-B694-2E6E0A5B0515.gif

I’ll give it try again @TheBitch @Barrington Womble, sounds like I may have misjudged.

EDIT - my next lowest is Double Punk 2.75 which is awful, really boozy and not in a good way. I think that may have been operator error on the rating. Will try again. 

Ive just put Mikeller Heated Seats on my Perfect draft, cracking session beer and very smooth.