You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

I'd rather not eat than stop my beers intake ... I did my Northern Ireland Christmas Beer shopping this week...from 7 or 8 of my favourite Nordie brewers ...have about 100 beers or so ,probably 45 to 50 different types delivered to the Mother in Laws house...will be picking them up in 2 or 3 weeks time to transport to my shed...some of my favourite Cork & Dublin brewers have started their Xmas brews as well so gonna be an enjoyable 2 months coming up with new beers all over the place

Might stick up a few posts over the weekend of Irish beers from various brewers from different regions...might help some of my fellow Paddies & Nordies on here plus most of the beers are available in the UK or via online delivery so might even give some of the British lads some good ideas

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

My top rated Irish beers:

Screenshot_2020-11-12-19-42-49-650_com.untappdllc.app.jpg

Anything from White hag is really good Remmie , they are stalworths over on the West Coast and really know their stuff ....Picked up a few from them over the weekend Porterhouse are just a few miles from me and they are pretty decent as are O'Hara's.

There are much better Dublin Brewers in my humble opinion ( Rascals /Hope /oBrother /Lineman /Stone Barrel/ Whiplash etc) , I'll stick up some pics over the weekend

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Anything from White hag is really good Remmie , they are stalworths over on the West Coast and really know their stuff ....Picked up a few from them over the weekend Porterhouse are just a few miles from me and they are pretty decent as are O'Hara's.

There are much better Dublin Brewers in my humble opinion ( Rascals /Hope /oBrother /Lineman /Stone Barrel/ Whiplash etc) , I'll stick up some pics over the weekend

Yeah I've had a few from white hag, think beer52 did an all Irish case and I think I rated them. I'd like to try a few more Irish stouts that aren't Guinness 

Just now, Remmie said:

Yeah I've had a few from white hag, think beer52 did an all Irish case and I think I rated them. I'd like to try a few more Irish stouts that aren't Guinness 

Stouts ...ohhh man , there is so many amazing stuff from right acsross the Island ..think I stuck a few pics up last weekend . Craft central or Craftdirect are great for shipping to UK and the Nordie Brewers often do it direct ...Boundary in Belfast are off the charts when it comes to Stouts

For you stout drinkers out there, I've had this this evening, which I got from Tesco. 

It was mental sweet, too strong with the coffee flavour for me. It's designed to be a desert and it definitely is. I've never understood the point of these 1/3 of a pint you see in some craft beer places, but this is a drink has made me understand that. I'm glad I tried it, but I wouldn't be in a rush to have it again and if I got another 440ml can, I'd look to share it with someone. 

IMG_20201115_175116.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I love a good stout, but this is just a bit off the edge for me. It's almost like a good stout and someone has dropped a double Tia Maria in it. Which of course might still make it up your street!

Haha yeah, still sounds right up it! Strong, big coffee flavour and sweet is 3/3 hits for me

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Currently making my way through these, a Sunday treat...

467E8D0A-75F8-4E67-86F1-BCD5338A32DF.jpeg

Just finished the first and it was exceptional, so high hopes for the rest.

If anybody is interested these guys have the full range, well worth a look...

https://www.beermerchants.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Cascade

Beer merchants occasionally do a mystery Belgian beer box for £20 plus a fiver postage, not bad for 12 beers

4 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Beer merchants occasionally do a mystery Belgian beer box for £20 plus a fiver postage, not bad for 12 beers

Beer merchants are great, their ‘tap’ is one of my regular haunts, it’s Hackney, it’s filled with all sorts of folk. 

The taps are generally amazing and the fridges are stocked with great stuff from all over the world.

I think next Friday I’m going to pop down after work and load up on a load of Belgium stuff and have a decadent weekend drinking some heavy triples and quads. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

Are those prices per bottle? 

‘fraid so, yes.

Pricy, but as a one off I’m ok with it as they are genuinely lovely.

When you factor in ingredients, storage (can be years in barrels), shipment from the US which is expensive as hell and the mark up, it’s what it is.

In the US they’re about $10/12, but obviously I’m not there, so I’m ok paying it as a one off. 

If I had the disposable income to be spending big on beer, I reckon I could justify it to myself. I'd happily pay £15 for a decent bottle of wine and I drink beer more often, so why not shell out for a special one. 

Nowadays my income supports 4 of us rather than just me in my single days, so no chance. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

can't bring myself to spend that on a beer. it chokes me up spending a fiver on a can and i don't do that very often. 

21 minutes ago, Remmie said:

If I had the disposable income to be spending big on beer, I reckon I could justify it to myself. I'd happily pay £15 for a decent bottle of wine and I drink beer more often, so why not shell out for a special one. 

Nowadays my income supports 4 of us rather than just me in my single days, so no chance. 

Life’s a touch weird at the minute and I’m looking to get my kicks someplace.

Normally I wouldn’t, but I can’t do fuck all else during this shitfest, so why not?

I look at it like Rem, you’d pay for a decent bottle of red, so why not beer. 

Me and Her decided we were going to look at this as an opportunity to cook, indulge and keep our sanity this way. I’m building quite the cellar! 

I totally get why others would baulk though.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Life’s a touch weird at the minute and I’m looking to get my kicks someplace.

Normally I wouldn’t, but I can’t do fuck all else during this shitfest, so why not?

I look at it like Rem, you’d pay for a decent bottle of red, so why not beer. 

Me and Her decided we were going to look at this as an opportunity to cook, indulge and keep our sanity this way. I’m building quite the cellar! 

I totally get why others would baulk though.

I completely get that, but I can't justify it in my mind. And it's not the money exactly, as I wouldn't think twice on match day to go out and get bladdered, spend 100 quid or more and get nothing to show for it except a load of shit lager and a cunt of a hangover. But for me there's just loads of great beer you can buy at 3/3.5 and under a can, so I just can't get my head around it. I realise people will pay loads on wine too, but I don't do that either! haha. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I completely get that, but I can't justify it in my mind. And it's not the money exactly, as I wouldn't think twice on match day to go out and get bladdered, spend 100 quid or more and get nothing to show for it except a load of shit lager and a cunt of a hangover. But for me there's just loads of great beer you can buy at 3/3.5 and under a can, so I just can't get my head around it. I realise people will pay loads on wine too, but I don't do that either! haha. 

My rational since the start of lock down is I spend on the expensive stuff what I’d normally spend on a day/night out. I’m usually out a few times a week, so it adds up and I’m not losing anything in the grand scheme of things.

I get what you mean about justification, but you can say that about most things in life and, fuck it, we only get one go on the carousel. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Another way I might justify it to myself is if I drink less but spend the same money on beer I wouldn't lose out if I had 1 amazing bottle rather than a sock pack of merely good other beer. 

that's how i justify to myself spending 4 quid on a can when i know i can get a couple of decent craft 4 packs for 9 quid!

On 15/11/2020 at 18:18, Barrington Womble said:

For you stout drinkers out there, I've had this this evening, which I got from Tesco. 

It was mental sweet, too strong with the coffee flavour for me. It's designed to be a desert and it definitely is. I've never understood the point of these 1/3 of a pint you see in some craft beer places, but this is a drink has made me understand that. I'm glad I tried it, but I wouldn't be in a rush to have it again and if I got another 440ml can, I'd look to share it with someone. 

IMG_20201115_175116.jpg

My Tesco rarely has any of these 'craft' beers in.  Very annoying!