You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

5 hours ago, Elite said:

I had a few bottles of Punk IPA last night and although it was okay, I wouldn't be in a rush to have it again.  Too bitter for me.

I was just thinking back to the bitterness thing you didn't like with this. A lot of the craft beer will often be labeled with an IBU, which indicates bitterness (I think it's something like international bitterness units). It's not an exact science, but it's a good indicator and might be helpful to you. I think with an American type lager like a bud, that would be under 10. I would guess something like Estrella would be 15-20. The flavoursome Czech/German pilsners are i would guess maybe 20-25 normally. 

I've just looked up punk, because I don't think it's too bitter (but I drink lots of IPA so maybe dulled my taste buds) - it comes in at 40 IBU, which is pretty low for that style of beer, but obviously much more bitter than lagers. That Jamestown NEIPA I mentioned is just 25, so might be more suitable, but it won't taste like a lager! The brewdog standard like "hazy Jane" it is also just 25 IBU. The original version I much preferred is 50, but might disgust you! Haha. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've had a new beer to me today. From brewdog called duopilis. It's a oaty, cream DDH IPA. I really like it. It's only 4.7% and I think it's the 1st brewdog IPA under 5% I've ever thought was really good. Lovely creamy body, great hop aroma and flavour and not too bitter. Some nice sweet tropical notes. 

I had a couple of BrewDog stouts yesterday. Jet Black Heart and Coconut Shy.

The JBH was a beautiful pour, looked amazing in the glass and was very good. 

The CS was strong and a bit too much but worth the try regardless. 

I also had Mr President, amber coloured DIPA. Strong but didn’t taste it, really nice.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

I had a couple of BrewDog stouts yesterday. Jet Black Heart and Coconut Shy.

The JBH was a beautiful pour, looked amazing in the glass and was very good. 

The CS was strong and a bit too much but worth the try regardless. 

I also had Mr President, amber coloured DIPA. Strong but didn’t taste it, really nice.

I've had Mr president. I think it's one of the best brewdogs I've had, cracking beer

• Upvote 1

I'm gutted not to be out tonight. If we'd have been back in the ground I almost certainly would have gone out after and even as an 8pm behind closed doors had the pubs been open 100% I'd have been out. So instead it's settle for watching alone at home in my man cave. I'm out of homebrew IPA, so it's time to turn to the fridge. I've got a nice selection, how many I drink may depend on how the match goes! 

IMG_20201024_182136.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 27/10/2020 at 21:00, RJ Fan club said:

Just a few supermarket efforts I’ve not tried yet. 

AF6A14BF-3AFC-4807-B891-08201FB159D3.jpeg

Let me know how you get on with duopilis. I was not expecting much, I don't normally enjoy more session strength IPAs of any style, but it really worked for me. 

My brew dog advent calendar turned up yesterday. I've decided to do it over 2 months as with lockdown I'll be home.most of this month and might not be so much if we get out in December. So door number 1 was opened this morning, rather disappointingly it was a hazy Jane. Disappointing for me as while I think it's ok, I don't love it, and I've got a couple.of cans I've had a while and they're still there because immnot that fussed! 

IMG_20201031_133220.jpg

IMG_20201101_123820.jpg

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Let me know how you get on with duopilis. I was not expecting much, I don't normally enjoy more session strength IPAs of any style, but it really worked for me. 

My brew dog advent calendar turned up yesterday. I've decided to do it over 2 months as with lockdown I'll be home.most of this month and might not be so much if we get out in December. So door number 1 was opened this morning, rather disappointingly it was a hazy Jane. Disappointing for me as while I think it's ok, I don't love it, and I've got a couple.of cans I've had a while and they're still there because immnot that fussed! 

IMG_20201031_133220.jpg

IMG_20201101_123820.jpg

I liked it. 4 for £6 was a decent price.

As those 4 for £6 go its perhaps a 3rd choice. 

Behind, in this order 

CAFF5021-0DDD-4514-9AB7-6EAB05FC47E8.jpeg

0ECC2CB7-52D2-44D4-9EAE-6F27272C9E6D.png

10 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

I liked it. 4 for £6 was a decent price.

As those 4 for £6 go its perhaps a 3rd choice. 

Behind, in this order 

CAFF5021-0DDD-4514-9AB7-6EAB05FC47E8.jpeg

0ECC2CB7-52D2-44D4-9EAE-6F27272C9E6D.png

I've never seen either of those on the 4 for £6 in my supermarket. Which one do you use? I have Sainsbury's (not sure they do 4 for 6), Asda and Tesco (and they both do two 4 packs for 9). But I've never seen those. My Asda is shite to be fair, there's a big one at switch island I should maybe try. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've never seen either of those on the 4 for £6 in my supermarket. Which one do you use? I have Sainsbury's (not sure they do 4 for 6), Asda and Tesco (and they both do two 4 packs for 9). But I've never seen those. My Asda is shite to be fair, there's a big one at switch island I should maybe try. 

The Crash I’ve had in a big Tesco, but not seen the 4 pk for a few weeks. But it’s always on the loose 4 for £6 where you can mix and match. Went to a massive Tesco and found a 4Pk today. 3 down already 

the Duopolis is at Sainsbury’s.

Im down south these days. So naming branches wouldn’t help you. 

found Asda to be disappointing tbh. 

tesco and Morrison’s has the best craft ranges at the moment. No Mozzas down here. We’ll rare a rocking horseshit. In selected stores they’ve had omnipollo stout, £8 a pop 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

That’s the most bullshit collaboration ‘he said ‘yeah, whatever’ then me and a mate went and did stuff that didn’t infringe on intellectual property too much for IMBC.’

I like it!

I’ll get one and report back, though Carnival are a bit shite generally. 

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

That’s the most bullshit collaboration ‘he said ‘yeah, whatever’ then me and a mate went and did stuff that didn’t infringe on intellectual property too much for IMBC.’

I like it!

I’ll get one and report back, though Carnival are a bit shite generally. 

My mate bought John Dwyer a beer after Thee Oh Sees played the small room upstairs in the Paradiso and he wasn't a beer snob, just wanted a draught Heineken. 

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

My mate bought John Dwyer a beer after Thee Oh Sees played the small room upstairs in the Paradiso and he wasn't a beer snob, just wanted a draught Heineken. 

Are they only small room paradiso? 

They do really well in London, Troxy level.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I fucking love the Paradiso! 

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Are they only small room paradiso? 

They do really well in London, Troxy level.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I fucking love the Paradiso! 

They were the first time I saw them. They sell out the main room easily these days. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RJ Fan club said:

The Crash I’ve had in a big Tesco, but not seen the 4 pk for a few weeks. But it’s always on the loose 4 for £6 where you can mix and match. Went to a massive Tesco and found a 4Pk today. 3 down already 

the Duopolis is at Sainsbury’s.

Im down south these days. So naming branches wouldn’t help you. 

found Asda to be disappointing tbh. 

tesco and Morrison’s has the best craft ranges at the moment. No Mozzas down here. We’ll rare a rocking horseshit. In selected stores they’ve had omnipollo stout, £8 a pop 

I might give Morrisons ago once the boredom of the new lockdown kicks in.