You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

9 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

The booze totally over powers it, 

That's a shame. I was chatting with my mate just the other day saying the amazing thing about well made IPA's is how you've generally no idea how strong they are once you get about as strong as a punk, about 5.4 and up. I think you can generally tell when they're on the weaker side - or certainly by the time you've had half a pint - but it's really tough to tell what is happening with a well balanced strong IPA, to guess withing 1.5% I think is quite an achievement. 

I would have said that I didn’t like beer as ‘heavy’ (is that the correct term?) this but I loved it so much that when I couldn’t find any more locally I ordered that case directly from the brewery. If only we’d put that word burning stove in when we had the chance

15 minutes ago, Champ said:

I would have said that I didn’t like beer as ‘heavy’ (is that the correct term?) this but I loved it so much that when I couldn’t find any more locally I ordered that case directly from the brewery. If only we’d put that word burning stove in when we had the chance

There are loads of delicious Stouts nowadays with coffee and/or chocolate notes so don't be afraid to experiment though this one is amongst the very best

10 hours ago, Remmie said:

There are loads of delicious Stouts nowadays with coffee and/or chocolate notes so don't be afraid to experiment though this one is amongst the very best

I can recommend Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout 

20 hours ago, Champ said:

It looks a fine selection but there’s something about beer in cans that doesn’t have the same appeal for me

While I always liked good beer and didn’t settle for cans of carling, I wasn’t really into craft ale till last year.

I was suspicious of cans too. Paying £5 upwards for a single can seemed madness and the cam was part of the sticking point.

But after having tried a few I was happy to be proved wrong. Whilst there is an increased risk of it being ruined by the canning process, if it’s done well, kept chilled and drunk youngish so the hops remain fresh, then really it doesn’t affect the beer and is good.

Every year I call in at the Cromarty Micro brewery when I’m up in Scotland to pick up a supply of their award winning “Red Rocker” beer. This time I was lucky enough to chat to the head brewer while in their shop and after noticing majority of their beer range now available in cans I asked him why the change  According to him cans are the future, the quality & taste of the beer is not affected due to a plastic coating inside the can. He said beer quality in bottles is more likely to be affected by sunlight where cans are not, plus it’s cheaper for the brewery. Craft ale out of a can does take some getting used to though. 

• Upvote 1