You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

Good news...

Israeli researchers showed that consuming one beer (12 ounces) per day for one month produced changes in blood chemistry that are linked with a decreased risk of heart attack. These changes are most likely produced by the high polyphenol content of beer.

Drinking beer can help you avoid kidney stones. A bottle of beer consumed each day decreases the risk by 40%, according to a study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

According to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, women who drink moderate amount of beer on a regular basis have better cognitive function.

Great Oktoberfest. I had the immense pleasure of witnessing greatness yesterday when Joey Chestnut won the Brat-eating Contest for the seventh time by stuffing 67 hot dogs down his throat in ten minutes. Later today I will see 50,000 people set the world record for largest chicken dance whilst wearing chicken hats. What a country!

Beer's not bad either - Rheinegeist Truth IPA is favourite so far

Here is George Takei acting as last year's grand marshall

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just found this: http://www.camra.org.uk/press-releases/-/asset_publisher/R16Ta0pf6w5B/content/bristol-brewery-becomes-first-in-world-to-be-granted-camra-says-this-is-real-ale-accreditation-for-canned-beer

Moor is the first ale in a can to be certificated by CAMRA.  It's all about "micro-canning" - keeps the yeast live, and avoids carbonation.  Therefore, by definition it is real ale.  If it was "canned" it would lose this, but they managed to create a different kind of canning process.

• 4 weeks later...

Moor Beer from Bristol.

Apparently, CAMRA have given it their seal of approval, even though it comes in cans.

http://moorbeer.co.uk/about-us/

Anybody tried this?

I bought 12 cans of different types just in case I find one that I like.

Cans-Slider.jpg

Not tried that, I'm more of a cider fan but we do have a lot of good independent micro brewery's here.

What's the verdict then, mate?

The IPA - Hoppiness is a fine drink.  I would certainly recommend it.

I bought two of all but Confidence and Radiance (I think I missed a possible joke there).  I am slowly going to work my way through them (I have a few other beers from Christmas still to go through first), and the second can is for a second opinion.  Hoppiness is definitely a quality beer.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Paulaner is ace. I treated myself to some Schneider Weisse for this evening, 8.2% and sex in a bottle. 

schneiderweiss_tap6.jpg

Paulaner is ace. I treated myself to some Schneider Weisse for this evening, 8.2% and sex in a bottle. 

schneiderweiss_tap6.jpg

If it's sex in a bottle I'd like to think it's pronounced Paula Ner rather than Paul Aner?

Guest Pistonbroke

Paulaner could be the first name, sounds Eastern European for big titted whore. Anyway, the sex in a bottle reference was for the  Schneider Weisse which sounds Eastern European for a white fanny. 

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the wrong boozer to meet people on Wednesday night & panic bought myself a pint so I didn't look like a total oddball. This stuff was very nice & only cost £3.60 a pint, which is pretty cheap for the area I was drinking in...

F8010A2E-5056-B73B-0D97832927FB8246-supp