You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

With stronger beer it's simple, just drink it slower and don't be knocking it back like it's 4%. You can get all these in Tesco so I'd start with a few of these, especially the Innis & Gunn. If you try one; make it that.

Innis & Gunn, 6.6%.

innis-gunn-original.jpg

Erdinger Dunkel, dark wheat beer, 5.6%.

Erdinger_Weisbier_Dunkel.JPG

Sapporo, 5%

Sapporo%20Beer.jpg

Sierra Nevada pale ale, 5.6%

DSC09142.JPG

• Upvote 1

Guest Super Sub

With stronger beer it's simple, just drink it slower and don't be knocking it back like it's 4%. You can get all these in Tesco so I'd start with a few of these, especially the Innis & Gunn. If you try one; make it that.

Innis & Gunn, 6.6%.

Posted Image

Erdinger Dunkel, dark wheat beer, 5.6%.

Posted Image

Sapporo, 5%

Posted Image

Sierra Nevada pale ale, 5.6%

Posted Image

Would you say they are better than the likes of Peroni and Heinaken or are they just good for a change?

Would you say they are better than the likes of Peroni and Heinaken or are they just good for a change?

They are much nicer than Peroni and Henineken in my opinion though they would be wasted a little if you were just drinking them to get smashed as opposed to enjoying them at a more leisurely pace.

Leffe is nice as well as Cloggy says, they sell a few different variations of that in Tesco as well.

Guest Super Sub

I`ll be guzzling my home brewed stout. Was supposed to be a 6 percenter but the fuckin yest died so it is some where between 1.5% - 2%. I am calling it the Yeast Killing Session Stout.

How can you tell what percent it is? Do you just see how many it takes to get you pissed or something?

• 1 month later...

Really not a fan of Guinness, not fond of the "ashy" taste, but on Saturday I tried a few of these...

guinnessporter3_3026961b.jpg

The West Indies Porter in particular was fucking lush. More reminiscent of maybe Theakston's Old Peculiar than regular Guinness. The Dublin wasn't bad either. Gonna have a mooch down to Morrisons later on and get some more.

• 1 month later...

You definitely can't go wrong with Leffe for a blonde, it's a lovely smooth drink. And I've just gone and repped every appearance of Erdinger Dunkel back there, cracking beer.

Into Belgians right now, and I was on these over the holidays. LaChouffe is light, smooth, very drinkable with a subtly complex palate, and will bugger you right up the wrong'un at 8% alcohol. Youd never know it from the taste though, it goes down like magic. One of the best Belgian pales I've had in years.

La_Chouffe_Braserie_D_Achouffe_900.jpg

• Upvote 1

Who does the best beer in the world? I'd struggle to choose between the Germans and the Belgians. 

For Lager South East Asia seems to make some absolute crackers, though hard to pick just one nation.

American craft ales are becoming really big over here, I do really enjoy them and this looks to being slowly replicated in the UK.

The Aussies do some belters as well, but all are pretty far behind Germany & Belgium in my opinion.

I was drinking La Chouffe last night. Found a pub near me that has it on draft. Beautiful beer. Kwak is lovely as well. I think they sell it in Bier.

Lucky bastard! I would dream of the day. The beer scene here in Canada is just pathetic for the most part, you're lucky to find bottles of anything interesting never mind taps. The exception being Quebec, there's actually some very nice stuff brewed there but its hard to find elsewhere.

It might be hard to choose, but if forced at gunpoint to choose between drinking German or Belgian beers solely for the rest of my life, I wouldn't hesitate to go Belgian. Can't go wrong either way though.

You found somewhere in UK selling Kwak? Kudos.

There are pubs in London that have been selling it since before 2000 Rem. The Belgian or Dutch pubs certainly have. I never really enjoyed the Kwak as much as other Belgian strong beers. Once you get over the funny glass, the taste is a bit industrial.

Agree with you that Belgian beer is the best in the world though, in terms on quality and variety.

The Hop Inn in Ormskirk probably has Kwak. It certainly has Le Chouffe. Great little pub. Would be surprised if the Ship & Mitre didn't have them both.

There was another pub near me selling Le Chouffe bokbier on tap last month. Might have to see if there is any left. It is a dark winter beer made for the Dutch market and is 6.66%. Mc Chouffe is good as well. Dark brown rather than blonde.

Have to disagree about Kwak tasting industrial. Lovely beer even if I do prefer Le Chouffe. I would rather have a Kwak than a Duvel.