You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

Not a great fan of very dark beers. Fine for a contemplative pint but too sweet and heavy for a session.

Harvey's do brew excellent beer as you so rightly point out and as they are only 10 miles away I ought to throw in a vote for their Sussex Best Bitter (an excellent session beer).

20081023164429_best.jpg

Yes, Sussex and Harveys Bitter is part of the blood. I'm due a trip to Lewes for a session by the Brewery.

You in Brighton? There's a few on here.

Try to get hold of Kings too, it's the offshoot brewery from the old King and Barnes Brewery in Horsham. Lovely stuff.

Yes, Sussex and Harveys Bitter is part of the blood. I'm due a trip to Lewes for a session by the Brewery.

Try to get hold of Kings too, it's the offshoot brewery from the old King and Barnes Brewery in Horsham. Lovely stuff.

If you want Harvey's Tom Paine is the way to go. Only in late July though but well worth the wait to go down the Nelson.

My honarable mentions go to:

Adnams Broadside

Dark Star Hophead

Sharp's Doombar

Blacksheep

Hepworth Organic blonde lager

Cotleigh Tawny Ale

Exmoor gold.

Quite like this bad boy:

494px-Kwak.jpg

Holy Fuck, completly forgot about this beer. Was drinking it in a pub down at the Galway races a couple of years ago. With the wee holder thing as well.

I think it was this drink which started me down the road of good quality beers too.

I drank about 10 cans of fosters the other night because I was skint and I was barely tipsy. Most of the mainstream beers are a complete waste of time.

Ah, King and Barnes. A name from the past. I must admit to not knowing about King's. Perhaps they don't export it to Brighton or I've never looked....

Enjoy the brewery trip. Funny that, despite living in Brighton for so long I've never done a Harveys trip.

Something for the summer maybe?

If you want Harvey's Tom Paine is the way to go. Only in late July though but well worth the wait to go down the Nelson.

My honarable mentions go to:

Adnams Broadside

Dark Star Hophead

Sharp's Doombar

Blacksheep

Hepworth Organic blonde lager

Cotleigh Tawny Ale

Exmoor gold.

Good choice.

The Nelson eh? One of my favourite pubs along with the BoT.

What's the crack with that Erdinger then? Lots of people seem to be recommending it.

its just got a great taste mate.

you can buy dark & white versions and they are both a quality taste very clean fruty taste, but still a nice heavy beer

id try the white first tho as it is much better

• Upvote 1

Good choice.

The Nelson eh? One of my favourite pubs along with the BoT.

The Nelson for when the Harvey's seasonal alse come in, The BoT is also good for a pint of black sheep and beer garden. Also Duke of Wellington is half decent pub and The Eddy just up from that, some good drinking to be had within a very short space. The Evening Star trumps the lot in that little central area though.

Ah, King and Barnes. A name from the past. I must admit to not knowing about King's. Perhaps they don't export it to Brighton or I've never looked....

Enjoy the brewery trip. Funny that, despite living in Brighton for so long I've never done a Harveys trip.

Something for the summer maybe?

You still get some K&B beers in Brighton, you have to look around for them. The K&B ale trail is ran every year and if you get over to the likes of Shoreham, Horsham, Worthing etc then you may find K&B a bit more likely.

Harvey's tour is excellent and the head Brewer, Mr Jenner really knows his stuff. Problem is that you have to book years in advance.

It took me about 2 years to get a spot for the lads at work. You have to write off requesting one, they then place you on a list. They expect to do a minimum of about 10 people up to 25. They only run tours a few nights a week for a few months of the year so it takes a while for places to come up. Its very popular so expect to wait for maybe 3 years or so.

You get shown around brewery, everything is explained, then the end the tour in cellar where you get a glass to sample the ales ( I did about 7 halves as I was running the tour and didn't want to seem piggish, but also wanted to buy the head brewer a pint as thanks), but the lads did about a dozen glasses. I took a party of 20 or so, I'd say assemble a decent drinking team and get you name down asap.

It costs about £2.50 (probably a tad more now) but they give you a voucher for the same amount to spend in the John Harvey Tavern.

What's the crack with that Erdinger then? Lots of people seem to be recommending it.

Get on the Erdinger hammy, gorgeous pint. The Erdinger weissbrau is very similar to Leffe Blonde, but I think Erdinger is more of a 'first pint' pint if you get me.

You still get some K&B beers in Brighton, you have to look around for them. The K&B ale trail is ran every year and if you get over to the likes of Shoreham, Horsham, Worthing etc then you may find K&B a bit more likely.

Harvey's tour is excellent and the head Brewer, Mr Jenner really knows his stuff. Problem is that you have to book years in advance.

It took me about 2 years to get a spot for the lads at work. You have to write off requesting one, they then place you on a list. They expect to do a minimum of about 10 people up to 25. They only run tours a few nights a week for a few months of the year so it takes a while for places to come up. Its very popular so expect to wait for maybe 3 years or so.

You get shown around brewery, everything is explained, then the end the tour in cellar where you get a glass to sample the ales ( I did about 7 halves as I was running the tour and didn't want to seem piggish, but also wanted to buy the head brewer a pint as thanks), but the lads did about a dozen glasses. I took a party of 20 or so, I'd say assemble a decent drinking team and get you name down asap.

It costs about £2.50 (probably a tad more now) but they give you a voucher for the same amount to spend in the John Harvey Tavern.

Nice one RJ. As I mentioned Kings bought out Barnes recently, the Old Ale is part of the Hove Palmeira Square Threshers 3 for £4.99 ale offer. Bastards don't do it up Lewes Road. You can also buy a cask online for your parties for a resonable amount.

I've not tried the last 3 on your list, I'll look out for them. I've only recently got into the Golden Ale taste, via HopHead.

I presume you've been to the Hand in Hand too, a little pub up St James St. with it's Brewery downstairs. One of the oldest in Brighton.

RonYeatsRules,

Cheers, due to RJ's notes I doubt I'll make the brewery soon!

The BoT used to be great but the last owners put me off. I frequent mostly Hanover now if over my side of town. Great pub crawls.

I love beer me! Rep for everyone!

Karl, I'll have a look for the ale but I fucking doubt its in mine. The cunts.

Nice one RJ. As I mentioned Kings bought out Barnes recently, the Old Ale is part of the Hove Palmeira Square Threshers 3 for £4.99 ale offer. Bastards don't do it up Lewes Road. You can also buy a cask online for your parties for a resonable amount.

I've not tried the last 3 on your list, I'll look out for them. I've only recently got into the Golden Ale taste, via HopHead.

I presume you've been to the Hand in Hand too, a little pub up St James St. with it's Brewery downstairs. One of the oldest in Brighton.

RonYeatsRules,

The BoT used to be great but the last owners put me off. I frequent mostly Hanover now if over my side of town. Great pub crawls.

Hand in Hand is opposite my missus flat and we fequent it fairly regularly. It will be my local from July onwards all being well. Probably about 70 yrd or less away. Good times to be had.

Thanks, but working from home or London I don't actually have any workmates in Brighton who I can cajole into a trip and my regular drinking partners tend to favour lager :wow:

Ah well, I'll just content myself with a visit to the shop and get me plastic wotsit re-filled.

RonYeatsRules,

Blimey, talk about hijacking a thread :-)

Come in the Brighton mafia ....

Hand in Hand is a wonderful pub. On the other side of town to me but I get in there now and again.

I used to get in the BoT quite a bit but haven't been there for about a year. Mostly drink in the Good Companions or the Dyke Tavern as they're nearby and the Dyke is doing good bands on a Saturday now (there's an Ian Dury tribute band there on April 25th who are amazing). There's always the Prestonville, solid dependable, good food and a decent outside area.

I used to be a regular in The Greys when I lived in Hanover. Some ace pubs around there, pity about the parking!