You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Steven Gerrard Is Our Captain"

billybonzo

Best player in the world without doubt, has developed into a super captain(I did'nt always think that) and dare I say it possobly the best player ever to play for the club.

Yes you dare. I have been saying the same for a while.

He has been brilliant this year; the times I have seen some of his team mates hammer passes at his knees and he just kills it and gets on with it.

We are truly blessed

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is going to be our next Steve Gerrard?

Thankfully the lad is only approaching 29 in May but in a years time he will be 30 and his powers will start to slowly diminish. With the way he plays the game, I can see him being pretty knackerd by the age of 33. That means we have about 4 years left of Gerrard at his very best.

Is anyone else absolutely terrified of a Liverpool with Steven Gerrard? I know we have replaced Souness. Hansen, Keegan and Kenny in the past, hell we even replaced Owen with someone better but I can't think of another player who has contributed as much on his own to any team... maybe Maradona for Argentina and Napoli.

I don't see many Gerrard's out there, he is inspirational, loves the club, is world class and our get out of jail card on so many occasions. I am not writing him off but we need to find someone soon that will give us a fraction of what he does...

Who is going to be our next Steve Gerrard?

Thankfully the lad is only approaching 29 in May but in a years time he will be 30 and his powers will start to slowly diminish. With the way he plays the game, I can see him being pretty knackerd by the age of 33. That means we have about 4 years left of Gerrard at his very best.

Is anyone else absolutely terrified of a Liverpool with Steven Gerrard? I know we have replaced Souness. Hansen, Keegan and Kenny in the past, hell we even replaced Owen with someone better but I can't think of another player who has contributed as much on his own to any team... maybe Maradona for Argentina and Napoli.

I don't see many Gerrard's out there, he is inspirational, loves the club, is world class and our get out of jail card on so many occasions. I am not writing him off but we need to find someone soon that will give us a fraction of what he does...

The boy from Brazil!!! Se llama Lucas

The Best Player In The World?

At the "World Player Of The Year" awards last season, five men lined up to be photographed; and in the following days press, one paper ran a story using that image, adding the sub heading of "The best players in the world....and Xavi". Not only is that grossly disrespectful to a player of Xavi's calibre, but highlights the lack of footballing knowledge within the industry to make such a remark. Flair and entertainment seems to dictate who the best players are it seems, and nothing to do with raw ability. When was the last time a defender was deemed to be the best player on the planet?

Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka, Torres and Xavi were the five players involved, with Xavi being the only midfielder amongst them. He's not a defensive midfield player, but a creative player with a superb touch and vision, balance of a gymnast and makes things happen; yet he was dismissed as inferior to the rest by the press because he doesn't score as many goals.

Steven Gerrard just missed out on that top table last year; I don't think he will do this time around. But doesn't that fly in the face of the point being made above? That midfield players are never classed as the best players in the world, that it's always attackers? Maybe not.

In recent weeks, Zidane has publically stated he believes Steven Gerrard to be the best player in the world. Raul and his Real Madrid side applauded him off the pitch at Anfield, and he's now respected worldwide for the brilliant talent that he is. This praise has all been drawn for his goalscoring and attacking play in the role he now occupies behind Fernando Torres.

He is no longer a midfielder.

Zidane himself used to play between the midfield and attack, just like Kaka, Messi and Ronaldo. Gerrard is now held in a similar regard to those named, if not held in even higher regard throughout the world. He is so because of the attacking nature of his game. Would he be recognised as the best player in the world playing in central midfield? Not for me. Yet still some deluded people still seem to think his best position is central midfield. Thank god Rafa Benitez seems to disagree.

Torres has spent most of this season on the sidelines, but is the best striker in the world in my opinion. As a Liverpool fan most would expect me to have that view, but taking off my blinkers, I still stand by that statement. Who out there is better than Fernando Torres?

Ronaldo hasn't had half the season he had last year, yet he's still one of the most skillful and talented footballers on the planet. I can't stand his arrogance, or his posturing and gesturing, but he is a world class player of which there is no denial.

Messi is out of this world, and the arguement is often put forward in comparing these two players when discussing the best player on the planet. Ronaldo or Messi? For me; Messi wins hands down every single time.

The question people should now be asking when this topic rears it's head; Messi or Gerrard?

These two are now head and shoulders above anything else in the modern game. They have everything. Messi's brilliance on the ball as he glides through defences week in week out, showing strength, balance and trickery in equal measure. The ball does literally stick to his feet. Every time he picks up the ball you expect fireworks. For me, he's the best player since Maradona, and is still only a baby. He could become the best player of all time. He's that good.

Zidane is also up there for me as an all time great; so for him to pour the accolade on Gerrard you have to take note.

1. Messi

2. Gerrard

The rest don't really matter at the minute.

Paul Jones

Fanzine Fanzone - Times Online - WBLG: The Best Player In The World?

This stuff about "Is he the best in the world?" would make a great piece in the fanzine. How about it, Dave? I'm thinking something along the lines of eight different writers all giving their views on the question. What do you think? Just needs a snappy title to pull it all together. Something to do with hot topics. "The Burning Question", maybe? It's got a bit of a ring to it.

This stuff about "Is he the best in the world?" would make a great piece in the fanzine. How about it, Dave? I'm thinking something along the lines of eight different writers all giving their views on the question. What do you think? Just needs a snappy title to pull it all together. Something to do with hot topics. "The Burning Question", maybe? It's got a bit of a ring to it.

Fantastic idea!!

I think it's time I got a shot at the burining question Dave. I've put my name down!

For me I would not swap him for anyone. That is not an empty statement and I would go as far as to say he is the best Liverpool player I have ever seen.

To think he could be Liverpools greatest ever player, that is some accolade.

I fucking love him.

Quite an emotional thread this and a very emotive article in the first post. I absolutely love him and every time I hear his new song I burst with pride. What a player we have. If anyone still doesn't appreciate him, both his skill and love for the club, you'd really better start now because he won't last forever and you'll kick yourself hard when he's gone.

• 1 year later...
His top ten moments are on LFC TV - channel 434.

Just showed his ping against Olympiakos. "Awhhhhh yaaa beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!"

The man's a hero at worst.

Watching it myself mate, took the words out of my mouth.

Fuckin hell, looking back at these moments makes you realise just how lucky we are and how much of a colossus he has been for us. When it's mattered, when the backs are against the wall, time and time again he has dragged us kicking and screaming through. We'll only realise that when the sad day comes and he hangs up his boots. One hell of a chasm that lad will leave.

Watching it myself mate, took the words out of my mouth.

Fuckin hell, looking back at these moments makes you realise just how lucky we are and how much of a colossus he has been for us. When it's mattered, when the backs are against the wall, time and time again he has dragged us kicking and screaming through. We'll only realise that when the sad day comes and he hangs up his boots. One hell of a chasm that lad will leave.

Yeah, it's when you watch things like that there is when you actually realise how much we should appreciate him and it is a shame, because alot of the time he doesn't get the appreciation he certainly deserves.

I watched the treble DVD a couple of days ago. Even back then he was still scoring goals from all over the pitch - including a couple of superb headers, so it makes it even more irritating that he takes so many of our set pieces from crossing positions. I don't think there's a better header of the ball in our squad, far from it in fact.

Collosus is right.

First off no one that has played in at least the last ten years is better then Messi.

The set pieces thing with Gerrard is annoying but I don't think it's all down to him being poor at them. The squad has got very small the last few years. Could be a bit better now though with Poulson and Raul.

That said there is no one I'd rather have standing on the edge of the box or even in it.