You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Steven Gerrard Is Our Captain"

billybonzo

"Steven Gerrard Is Our Captain"

Steven Gerrard is our Captain

Steven Gerrard is a red

Steven Gerrard plays for Liverpool

A scouser born and bred...

As myself and the other travelling Liverpool fans sang this ditty in admiration of our captain on Saturday afternoon, he turned around and applauded as he strolled in direction of the tunnel, head held high, chest puffed out and leading his men from the battlefield triumphant.

Before the game, he gathered his troops on the edge of the centre circle; a rallying cry from the leader to his obedient soldiers. They huddled together and hung on his every word, before breaking away and pondering the lyrics of the mans battle cry. Steven Gerrard approached Lucas and Mascherano, called them together and gave them another few seconds of inspiration and encouragement; clenching his fists and fuelling the fire within. He took it upon himself to go around each and every player, ensuring they were as fired up for this game as he was.

"Steven Gerrard is our captain". How very apt.

I have been one of his biggest critics over the past few years; not because of his ability as a footballer, as that has never been in doubt, but for his leadership qualities and suitability to the role of captain of Liverpool Football Club. I have not been alone in those thoughts, with many declaring their vision of Jamie Carragher donning the armband being an ideal. Let the vocal leader on the pitch wear that black band around his arm and drive the team when required. We just didn't see those qualities from Gerrard. For me, he just didn't perform and inspire in games where he was needed most. He "went missing" in games when players all around were looking for leadership.

The greatest example of this for me was a the final group game of the 2004/05 European Cup campaign, when Olympiakos came to Anfield. It may seem strange to some for me to highlight this game as an example of a weakness in Gerrard's armour, but watch the game back again and I think you'll agree with me. People will always remember his magnificent strike that won the game, the strike that put us 3-1 up and sent us through to the knockout phase of the competition. It was typical Gerrard; popping up with a wonder strike to drag the side from the brink of failure. But what about the previous 80 minutes or so?

We trailed 1-0 at half time and were never in the game. Our captain was hiding and just didn't look interested. "I don't want to wake up tomorrow morning in the UEFA Cup" he stated before the game, but was doing anything but looking true to his word. I was seething with his performance that night. The lesser players were looking for inspiration and leadership, but it was nowhere to be seen. It took the introduction of two amateurs in Neil Mellor and Florent Sinama Pongolle to change the game that night. Their infectious desire, energy and eagerness turned the game around and dragged us back into it. 0-1 became 1-1. 1-1 became 2-1 and we were back in with a shout. Gerrard suddenly became interested again. The rest is history.

Some may deem that assessment unfair, and accuse me of forgetting all the wonderful moments that man has given to us. Believe me, that assessment could not be further from the truth. But I just didn't see him as captain material. The Chelsea sagas just strengthened that view. This season however, he has turned everything around and has become everything you would want from a captain.

His actions on Saturday, before and during the game, finally confirmed that we have a real leader of men as the captain of our side. There are no more doubts in my mind that he is the real deal, and the one player that everyone else in the squad looks up to. He leads them. He is their General.

He is fast approaching the peak years of his career, and has matured into one of the best players in the world; maybe even the best player in the world if you listen to Zidane; and he is far more qualified to judge than I. The likes of Messi and Ronaldo grab the headlines, but is Steven Gerrard the best player on his planet? He seems to think so, and who am I to argue? He certainly eclipsed the over rated Ronaldo on Saturday afternoon.

I've argued for several years, and wrote a previous article on the issue, that Steven Gerrard is not a central midfielder. We constantly hear from the so called experts that he needs to play in the middle of the park in a 4-4-2 to be seen as his best. "Play him in his best position" they cry. Maybe some of them may eventually begin to realise that he is now playing in his best position if they've watched the games again Real Madrid and Manchester United this week? Playing in the hole with the world class Fernando Torres in front, and the two central midfield players behind, allowing him freedom to roam and create havoc. Playing in central midfield he has the shackles on. Playing behind the front man he is a menace, a constant attacking threat. I think the past week proves that beyond all doubt.

The legend that his Raul ran over and shook his hand as he left the field on Tuesday night. At the end of the game, the entire Real Madrid side stood in the tunnel and applauded him back into the dressing room. If that is not a sign of great respect then what is? Being applauded like that by a Real Madrid side highlights more than anything the regard in which he is held throughout world football; the ultimate honour.

I don't think we appreciate just how good the man is. We can't see the wood for the trees at times, and will only really appreciate how special he is when he's gone.

Not only has he bloomed in his new role and become the world class player he's always promised to be, he's also grown into his role as a leader.

"Steven Gerrard is our captain"

You better believe it!

Paul Jones

Fanzine Fanzone - Times Online - WBLG: "Steven Gerrard Is Our Captain"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of us have been saying this about Gerrard even through the dark days of the Chelsea link and even through his barren run of form under Houllier when he was dropped, even when he had all those persional problems. I can't believe some wanted him sold, he was only a young lad but I understand why people were upset. He is one of us and has been that despite some character flaws - but nobody is perfect are they? For me he has always been a great captain and gave his all leading by example despite the clamour for Carra to be captain.

The Real Madrid applause is no surprise, Gerrard has always been held in high record around Europe, even more so than some of us have held him in the past.

Everybody knows that Gerrard would have been one of the best, he is in his peak years now and Rafa has benefitted from that. I doubt Rafa would be signing a 5 year contract if Gerrard hadn't been around - BUT Rafa must take huge credit for making him and even better player especially in attack.

He's really grown into the the role of captain as the years have gone on.

As far as his best position, I'm quite happy for him to play in behind Torres or as a central midfielder. Away against top opposition I think the free role suits him and us. Wouldn't swap him for anyone.

He,s such a complete player, this past week has elevated him above his peers throughout football. The big occasions arrived and he absolutely ran riot. May we see it many many many more times!!!! As you rightly point out, when he retires we will look back and realise we had been priviliged to have the worlds best player in our side, in our era.

Great article.

It's funny how my mates used to ridicule me when Gerrard broke through our ranks and I used to tell them this player is going to be the best in the world. OK it might have sounded a bit absurd at the time but watching him play with such desire, passion and raw talent made me believe that we really had a gem on our hands. And I was right.

I know that no player is bigger than the club and all that shite, but we are going to have one of the biggest tasks in our entire history when he decides to hang up his boots.

Fantastic player. A true living legend and a magnificent captain.

He could play in any outfield position (and he's probably a better keeper than Itandje). I'm not sure Messi or Kaka could sprint back 40 yards, slide in and win the ball cleanly, or plough into a 50/50 challenge.

Fantastic as they are, he's a more complete footballer.

Messi has 29 goals and about 20 assists already I think... I'd say Stevie is slightly behind Messi in the best player in the world stake at this moment. But ahead of Ronaldo and Kaka.

I dont care what your statistics say mate, Steven Gerrard is the best player in the world right now. Some of the greatest players of all time didnt have huge goal returns or numbers of assists, ZZ is one of those.

He could play in any outfield position (and he's probably a better keeper than Itandje). I'm not sure Messi or Kaka could sprint back 40 yards, slide in and win the ball cleanly, or plough into a 50/50 challenge.

I think this is what people miss about Pele, they look at him as a fantastic forward without the ball juggling skills of Maradona, but fail to realise his team-mates in that Brazil side acknowledged that he was the best player in the side in any position.

That's the magic of a very small group of very special players; they aren't just the best in their own position but could also be the best in any other position on the pitch if they wanted to.

I can't think of many who were that good and could play anywhere. Gerrard is a phenomenon of a player.

Bingo, and that is the difference.

I think this is what people miss about Pele, they look at him as a fantastic forward without the ball juggling skills of Maradona, but fail to realise his team-mates in that Brazil side acknowledged that he was the best player in the side in any position.

That's the magic of a very small group of very special players; they aren't just the best in their own position but could also be the best in any other position on the pitch if they wanted to.

I can't think of many who were that good and could play anywhere. Gerrard is a phenomenon of a player.

Yep, spot on Zig. Same as George Best also.

Agree with the first post analysis ( don't remember him being that poor against Olympiakos - but other than that ).

Can't really believe the Liverpool fans who still say they dislike him. He made mistakes , but how long can you hold it against a lad who has since then given you the best memories of your life ?

On a side topic , I much prefer the new Gerrard chant to the old one , as I always thought it was a bit childish - ' He's big & he's f****** hard' indeed.

I am sure he would as well.

Agree with the first post analysis ( don't remember him being that poor against Olympiakos - but other than that ).

Can't really believe the Liverpool fans who still say they dislike him. He made mistakes , but how long can you hold it against a lad who has since then given you the best memories of your life ?

On a side topic , I much prefer the new Gerrard chant to the old one , as I always thought it was a bit childish - ' He's big & he's f****** hard' indeed.

I am sure he would as well.

I prefer the new song and maybe its because im getting old but ive always felt songs about our own players shouldnt contain any language for no other reason a lot of the younger kids can sing this song with out gettin a bollocking from there dad. I always told me nephew that the song is Hes better than Frank Lampard instead of hes big and his fucking hard.

I think he's the best player around. Messi and Ronaldo will be in a good defenders pocket (like Aurelio) the minute they come up against them while Gerrard can rise to the challenge. I think all he ever wanted at LFC was quality around him and Rafa has delivered that

my assessment at the time was that gerrard did have a habit of disappearing in big games and not having the same type of influence as in other matches.

but in the last 2 years especially, i think he's probably been at his best in the biggest of games. i don't think it was a character flaw of the player necessarily as much as it was i think he may have gotten too wound up for those games and it adversely affected his play. i'm sure all of us have been in the situation where all you could think of was playing in a big game and the nerves were out in full force, but when it came time for the game to kick off, you realized you didn't feel quite right.

that nervous energy can have a detrimental affect, especially physically, on the performance. i'd have to say its probably maturation on his part but if you go over any big game the past few years, he's always stood up and been counted. especially against the mancs last week i thought he played out of his head. one of the best performances in my mind i'd seen from him. his movement, every first touch was directed and purposeful and he had the drive to make things happen.

in some cases i think his best games have been one's where he didn't necessarily even score goals. every player is due an off day every now and then as they are human like all of us, but for me i think he's been superb this season for us.

I prefer the new song and maybe its because im getting old but ive always felt songs about our own players shouldnt contain any language for no other reason a lot of the younger kids can sing this song with out gettin a bollocking from there dad. I always told me nephew that the song is Hes better than Frank Lampard instead of hes big and his fucking hard.

The best Gerrard song:

You're just too good to be true

Can't take the** ball off you

You've got a heavenly touch

You pass like** Souness to Rush

And when we're all drunk in the** bar

We can't believe that your ours

You're just** too good to be true

Can't take the ball off you

We** love you Stevie because you hate Man U

We love you Stevie...** you hate the blueshite too

We love you Stevie... you'r*e a red thru and thru

The best Gerrard song:

You're just too good to be true

Can't take the** ball off you

You've got a heavenly touch

You pass like** Souness to Rush

And when we're all drunk in the** bar

We can't believe that your ours

You're just** too good to be true

Can't take the ball off you

We** love you Stevie because you hate Man U

We love you Stevie...** you hate the blueshite too

We love you Stevie... you'r*e a red thru and thru

Is it not...

Pissed in the bar? And Ooooh Stevie Gerrard he fucking hates Man U?

Language in football songs is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. Its the Munich, Racist or Scumbag songs which need sorting out before songs with an occasional "Fuck" in them.

Is it not...

Pissed in the bar? And Ooooh Stevie Gerrard he fucking hates Man U?

Language in football songs is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. Its the Munich, Racist or Scumbag songs which need sorting out before songs with an occasional "Fuck" in them.

Yeah it is mate, but I'm a lazy cunt and pulled the lyrics off another site, it was all i could do to change the U and UR, to you and you're... but the song is still a cracker when shitfaced after a win