You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was out for a few drinks with Christian, of TLW fame, tonight and we were chatting about Rafa, his position and why it seemed under threat. After a few minutes, I just exploded into a ten minute impassioned rant about the whole lunacy of this situation.

I realised there was something I needed to get off my chest and I needed to do it right now.

Maybe I feel more comfortable saying this from a position of strength following the results we've had in the last two games, but there is no way, no way on this earth, that we should be thinking of replacing Rafa Benitez as manager of our Football Club. It is absolute, unadulterated lunacy. I'm sick of the unwarranted abuse he's taking and I'm sick of the shortsighted horseshit I'm hearing from the mouths of a lot of our own supporters that would make even our fiercest tabloid critics and TV pundits cringe.

I don't know what people expect from the man, but to be within four points of United at this stage of the season and to be the most feared team left in the European Cup hat is a scenario we'd have all take at the start of the season.

People talk about the dropped points, the mentality, the inability to kill teams off, but that can be put down to one thing and one thing alone. The absence for one third of this season of the Gerrard and Torres dynamic. With those two fully fit and raring to go all season we'd be clear at the top now, there is no doubt in my mind about that. Number nineteen would be beckoning as we speak. As it stands we're still in with a shot, but it's unlikely.

We're not lucky enough to be gifted with the resources that allow us to have 5+ £20m midfielders or three £30m strikers like Manchester United have. Or leaving the likes of Deco and Essien on the bench. Or Having the choice between Anelka and Drogba.

Granted, Rafa could have performed better in the transfer market this summer, but with our budget, absolutely everything is a gamble, everything is scrutinised to the nth degree, because for us to compete with United and Chelsea these signings just absolutely have to work out. Some have. Some haven't. The result is that we're almost there, but not quite. United can easily write of £36m with Hagreaves and Nani, can afford for Berbatov to have been no more of a success than Keane was at Liverpool. We can't.

Sure we can all point to faults this season. His shabby treatment of Alonso, maybe Keane also (although I couldn't give a monkeys about him), his negative 'don't lose' approach in games and team selections that have not paid off. I agree with most of these criticisms. Yes he's stubborn. Yes he frustrates us a lot of the time. I agree that with a little more of a positive attitude we'd have been better off in terms of points, but by the same token, how many points has he won us with team selections we've thought unorthodox? Newcastle away, anyone? He is not perfect by any means. He's not without fault, but he is unquestionably the best man for this job at this moment in time and he has my love and confidence when it comes to the crunch. The last two games are evidence of that.

Some people say "we're not moving forward, it's the same problems knocking us back, failing to win against the shit teams" (Someone I consider a very close friend of mine said that to me this weekend) But we have improved. Look at our record against the other three top sides this year. Unbeaten with 13 points from a possible 15. When was the last time we did that? So we HAVE improved and that's why we're closer to the top. I agree our problems have been against weaker opposition at home, but I put that down to the absence and lack of fitness of the best striker in the entire world and the lack of world class cover we're able to provide for him. People will say that if we'd been more positive etc... etc... and maybe they're right. But that's just not Rafa's way. While castigating him for that, people fail to compliment him for how organised we are, how well structured, how good we are at defending leads, how good we are at outsmarting the opposition, how good we are at grounding out results, coming back from behind (something else we've improved on immeasurably this year. Twice against United!), how good we are when we don't have the ball. How we do, in one way or another, "control the game" against everyone we play. He's not perfect. He has his faults, but he is by far the best man for this job.

People speak of Rafa's politicking, his use of the fans' affection, his manipulation of the media, but let us not forget that the man is swimming in an ocean of sharks here, taking a strain that no manager in our history (other than Kenny post-Hillsbrough) has ever had to deal with. If there's one man that should come out of this ridiculous mess with his position in tact it's Rafa Benitez. For him to even have us challenging with all that's gone on around him in the last two years is a miracle. The fact that we're still in the hunt for the title? Unbelievable. And who can blame him for trying to align himself one way or the other? People speak of him as a fraud or a liar. Please? There may be an element of self-preservation at the heart of his actions, but Rafa Benitez is a football man who cares more than anything else about winning games for Liverpool Football Club.

With regards to the Academy, it is a real shame that no young players are following Gerrard and Carragher into the first team. I think it's felt in Liverpool maybe more than anywhere, because of the immense local pride felt in the team, the "me and you vs the world" ethos that remains so prevalent. But at the end of the day. The plight of a local youngster or internal wranglings over who signed who means absolutely nothing to me if the first team are doing well, which in the main this season we have been (closer than we have been to the top in 7 or 8 years at this stage, flying in europe without our best player for most of the season ).

It took me moving away from Liverpool to realise this. To realise that I was too close to the situation and couldn't see the woods for the trees. When I was 19-20 and watching the Liverpool under-19s, I was writing articles campaigning for the likes of Mark Peers and Neil Prince to be given a shot in the first team. Players like Richie Partridge, John Welsh, David Raven, David Mannix, Darren Potter were being grossly mistreated according to me 5 years ago, but I was letting my heart rule my head far too much. Who even bothers to mention these lads now. I couldn't even tell you where most of them are playing. Despite my protestations, they just weren't good enough and the only one I stand by is Mellor. If it wasn't for his injuries he could have had 60. 70. 80 goals for us by now.

My point is, in this day and age, the first team is first, second, third and fourth. Look at United, Chelsea and Arsenal and how many top quality lads they've brought through their youth system since the turn of the century.

Castigating Rafa for this is to do the same to Ferguson and Wenger the two most successful managers in the modern era. Are they "Cunts" to their fans too for not giving local youngsters more of a chance? No.

But no, our fans, fans who have labeled him a genius at times, who savoured Istanbul as their most cherished memory, who have sung his name with all the gusto they could muster from their lungs are now turning their backs on him and slinging as much mud as they can possibly gather at this man. And for what? Because we've dropped points at home? Because we're not miles clear at the top of the league when up against two sides that vastly outrank us in terms of resources, as well as being without the best striker in the world for most of the season? Give me a fucking break. I'm ashamed of the treatment he gets and I'm sick to my back teeth of listening to it.

Anyway, this is the most I've written about football in a long, long time, but felt it needed to be said. I love Rafa and I do believe he can bring us the title one day, if it's just not to be this year. And I firmly believe that a sixth European Cup is on its way here come the end of May.

Viva Rafa.

Edited by Chris

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such an impassioned post deserves a more thoughtful response than the one I am about to give. I don't agree with all of it, but it's an excellent and enjoyable read.

It is noticeable that so many of Rafa's critics (and, yes, I do count myself as one of these over the past few months) have simply not appeared on the forum after the last two results. It's shameful to say, but i am convinced that for some people the prospect of Liverpool losing is actually preferable to basking in our succees of late, and i find that utterly unfathomable. Bear that in mind when they appear after the next bad result...

Such an impassioned post deserves a more thoughtful response than the one I am about to give. I don't agree with all of it, but it's an excellent and enjoyable read.

It is noticeable that so many of Rafa's critics (and, yes, I do count myself as one of these over the past few months) have simply not appeared on the forum after the last two results. It's shameful to say, but i am convinced that for some people the prospect of Liverpool losing is actually preferable to basking in our succees of late, and i find that utterly unfathomable.

All his detractors have been here mate, enjoying the results. Chris I will reply my own essay tomorrow in a constructive way but people have wanted Rafa to change for a reason... I too though want him to have a new contract as I can't see anybody coming in, being the best in Europe AND winning the league so soon. He himself though has to accept that he is part of the club not THE club.

All my thoughts, perfectly encapsulated in one post. i doff my cap.

Its all about perspective. all i wanted at the start of the season was for us to be there with a chance towards the end of the season. Thats where we are.

Really good impassioned read that Chris, and deserving of a much longer response, but I need to get to bed.

A bit of a cliche, but it's been a real roller-coaster ride watching the reds this year and there's no way you could or would have written that after the Boro and then City results and performances. I'd love Rafa to be the man who delivered what we are all desperate for, but I'm still unconvinced that he can change his ways and let us play with the freedom required to win against the lesser lights. It will always be safety first football. I cannot fathom how we can approach a game the way did against Real Madrid, but against City we were so timid until the final 15 minutes when we showed some urgency and looked like winning the game. Is Rafa only able to inspire the players to perform in the big games?

Anything is possible this season (we made the Mancs look tired on Saturday, let's hope all the games start to catch up with them) and it would be crazy to get rid of a manager who wins the European Cup (we aren't Real Madrid) if that were to happen. However, despite the high we are on after this week, i still have the same nagging doubts I had before.

I've said for a while he needs to be judged at the end of the season. The last week has been phenomenal though and shown me that we are a team that could be on the brink of something special. I'm not 100% convinced he can get us there like i was in the past, but i'm a lot more positive about him after the last 2 performances. That sounds a bit knee jerk but it wasn't just getting 2 wins against Real and the Mancs, it was the nature of our play and just how fuking good we looked with Torres and Gerrard back. The difference is really frightening when they are in the team and (relativly) fit. The stat that showed they'd started 9 games together in the league really surprised me and when you consider the difference they've shown they make this past week, it does paint this season in a slightly different light.

Providing we don't fall bak into the shit result/performance pattern we fell into at the turn of the year, i really can't see a reason to fuck him off in the summer. I believe we can push United all the way and do really, really well in Europe again. I didn't have that belief as much 8 days ago, but it really has been a stupendous week that has shown we can play at the top level against the top sides under Rafa. We just need to keep it up for another (hopefully) 14 games and then give him the chance in the summer to do what he should have done at the end of last season and make the signings that push us over the line.

Really good impassioned read that Chris, and deserving of a much longer response, but I need to get to bed.

A bit of a cliche, but it's been a real roller-coaster ride watching the reds this year and there's no way you could or would have written that after the Boro and then City results and performances. I'd love Rafa to be the man who delivered what we are all desperate for, but I'm still unconvinced that he can change his ways and let us play with the freedom required to win against the lesser lights. It will always be safety first football. I cannot fathom how we can approach a game the way did against Real Madrid, but against City we were so timid until the final 15 minutes when we showed some urgency and looked like winning the game. Is Rafa only able to inspire the players to perform in the big games?

Anything is possible this season (we made the Mancs look tired on Saturday, let's hope all the games start to catch up with them) and it would be crazy to get rid of a manager who wins the European Cup (we aren't Real Madrid) if that were to happen. However, despite the high we are on after this week, i still have the same nagging doubts I had before.

I think this is a key difference between people who are more optimistic and those who are less so. Some seem to think the only way to beat these teams is to play with more "freedom", others think you can do that it in many many ways with better players, better tactics, etc etc.

Why are you so sure that "freedom" is the only answer?

I've said for a while he needs to be judged at the end of the season. The last week has been phenomenal though and shown me that we are a team that could be on the brink of something special. I'm not 100% convinced he can get us there like i was in the past, but i'm a lot more positive about him after the last 2 performances. That sounds a bit knee jerk but it wasn't just getting 2 wins against Real and the Mancs, it was the nature of our play and just how fuking good we looked with Torres and Gerrard back. The difference is really frightening when they are in the team and (relativly) fit. The stat that showed they'd started 9 games together in the league really surprised me and when you consider the difference they've shown they make this past week, it does paint this season in a slightly different light.

Providing we don't fall bak into the shit result/performance pattern we fell into at the turn of the year, i really can't see a reason to fuck him off in the summer. I believe we can push United all the way and do really, really well in Europe again. I didn't have that belief as much 8 days ago, but it really has been a stupendous week that has shown we can play at the top level against the top sides under Rafa. We just need to keep it up for another (hopefully) 14 games and then give him the chance in the summer to do what he should have done at the end of last season and make the signings that push us over the line.

Was going to rep you, but have to spread it. Not only for a good post, but mostly for your ace Sopranos signature..

Great post, agreed. When it comes to people who've given Rafa so much shit not so long back though, I don't feel anything bad towards them because the lows we've had were really low sometimes. The problem has probably been the way that we challenged so strongly for so long, then it kind of slumped with draws and then finally seemed to end our hopes with the defeat against M'brough. I remember the Pompey away match being the worst case of several people kicking off too, but it's down to the same thing, we looked so sure to have the ability to go on and win the league, then it went badly wrong in places. As you said in your own words though, it just shows that he has his faults like anybody else, and some of us probably got too caught up looking at the negative side.

That's why it's such a wierd thing and something that I don't think too many of us should fall out over either, because even though we've had a week like this, you've got to remember some of the lows this season when it comes to understanding why people have been so pissed off. It still remains to be seen if Rafa can get this problem sorted out, which to most of us is probably one of the most eagerly awaited things too.

The other week I was also saying that I was really losing confidence in him, and even though it's taken this week to really get what he means to the club, there's still that doubt there, and that surely comes down to us lacking the strength of squad in part, because it can't be all Rafa's fault.

The big downer in all of this is whether or not he can even get things fixed after this season and in time for next, because with the fucks we have owning the club it's just not clear at all what's going to happen. If Rafa had the cash he'd probably have no problem at all getting the title, but with so many money problems and the ridiculous saga over the new stadium still rolling on, it leaves me wondering if we're going to be able to get things sorted for next season. Looks like he'll have to sell a few players and hopefully be given the cash to help him out with two proper top quality players, and if that happens and El Gaffa is still here, next season has a seriously good chance of being ours, and a confirmation that he was the right guy after all.

I think you speak for the silent majority with this post Chris and that isnt because we have beaten Madrid and United in the same week but because we are still competative with all the shit that has gone on for the last 3 years which would have seen most clubs collapse we all know he has made a few mistakes but that is normal no one gets it right 100% of the time and wont improve for a change of manager we have improved year on year and will continue to some decent signings in the summer will see us improve again

Rafa loves the club and he should be allowed to manage the club the war between the owners cant continue and they need to either unite behind the team and the manager or move on and let the club be owned by people who can do that

Have they? I don't want to pinpoint individuals, but one can search the forums and it's noticeable that two of his biggest critics haven't posted on here for over a week...

Wow, it sucks that that's the case, and that they weren't around here when things have gone so unbelievably well, but again, I think some of us have to remember that while we're so chuffed with what's gone on this week, maybe some others have felt....even if not the equal opposite, almost as equally annoyed and gutted at the low points. (because I just don't wanna even imagine the total opposite feeling to the high of these last two wins, surely people haven't been that mad.)

I do remember feeling like my soul had been stamped on after M'Brough though, and that wasn't far off. It's just been such a mad season already.

I have made my opinion known, I simply have not seen anything from him to indicate he will win the league. Say what you want about Torres/Gerrard, but it was Benitez who signed Keane and tried to break up that partnership early in the season. He is the manager who tried to sign Barry, and sell Alonso to pay for Barry, Alonso who has been our best player of the season. I can go on all day about the massive fuck ups he constantly makes, and hasn't made any attempt to rectify it. It feels like every season we're going to do well in the CL against some good side, and get a few good results then people will say "Maybe next season". I don't trust him at all, and I don't have any respect for him because I don't think he has whats best for the club at his heart, just whats best for Benitez.

Chris, superb post. The only sad thing is, those people who REALLY need to read (and get) it - won't.

I'm a firm believer that, in any walk of life (going beyond the bounds of footie here), its when the chips are down that people show their true character. For the first time in ages, we have mounted a consistant, and genuine title challenge. With that comes additional angst over every dropped point, etc, etc. In many ways, its harder to support your team when they are on the threshold of attainment, than if they had no real chance of ever reaching the "big one".

The depths to which some have leapt to every opportunity to abuse (not criticise, abuse) the manager and/or certain players really speaks volumes. There's no point in naming names - its not about that. But you lot, and you know who you are, need to realise that:

1) you've let yourselves down, shamefully (especially every single one of you sods who boo'ed a Liverpool player, AT ANFIELD)

2) you've been a royal pain in the ar$e in what has otherwise been a really enjoyable, roller coaster season (yes, enjoyable. I've waited years to see the men in red rediscover the ability to grasp victory from the jaws of defeat - again and again)

3) just as I said way back after the 3rd game this season, most of you will be kissing his ar$e and taking your UNfair share of credit for supporting the team, if he does land the big one.

If some DO find our victories hard to fully enjoy, because it makes their knee-jerk "fuck off Rafa" agenda less easy to spout - then I actually find some poetic justice in that. Good. Quite frankly, you shouldn't enjoy it as much.

Anyway, great post Chris.