You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

wellworths

windass

It's a great idea by the new owner. According to her the shop itself was making money even though the chain itself was badly run, plus she'll have the support of the nostalgia crowd and the 'bulldog spirit' brigade. I expect a visit from the Queen Mother soon - even though she's dead.

I hope it does well. Woolies was poorly managed and sold what people wanted for extortionate amounts. Who would want to go to Woolies to buy a DVD for £16.99 when Asda were selling it for £7-£8*. The new owners will know what sold well before Woolies closure and will probably concentrate on that part of the market.

* I can see HMV going the same way, all their new releases are pathetically overpriced. It's only their special offers like 4 for £20 that's keeping them afloat.

The best Woolies I've been to was in Pwhellhi (spelling ?).

It was the nearest thing to a department store there. We were camping last year and i remember what we bought - it was such a weird eclectic mix of stuff. Kids wellies, extra socks, plastic wine glasses, washing up bowl, charcoal, maltesers and a map. Ace. (I know - disorganised campers).

What the fuck?

I live in Dorchester, how do you know it's just opened here?

Is it that special news that it's on national news??

Novelty news item. At least it bumped Jade Goody off (off the news that is not off off). I think Chris Evans opened it didn;t he? He's had the woman on his prgramme on Radio 2 a few times. Pretty dull she is but Chris is really trying to big it up. He wanted the first 1/2lb of pick ' n mix and you can bet your bottom dollar he won't be back after the publicity has died down and the shop dies a sad but inevitable death.

Thought it was an admiral thing to risking her own dough and re hiring the old staff. The new name is shit though it should have been something more catchy like "Fuckyouwoolies" or " shove it up yer bollocks mr woolworth"

Given the landlord of the shop is also a shareholder I think he got first dib on the names. If you think about it, the name is a fuck you to the Woolworths management because her shop was making a profit but they fucked it up. It's a statement that the shop was in a healthy position.

Novelty news item. At least it bumped Jade Goody off (off the news that is not off off). I think Chris Evans opened it didn;t he? He's had the woman on his prgramme on Radio 2 a few times. Pretty dull she is but Chris is really trying to big it up. He wanted the first 1/2lb of pick ' n mix and you can bet your bottom dollar he won't be back after the publicity has died down and the shop dies a sad but inevitable death.

Yer he did, i went in yesterday, was in there for about 8 seconds and walked out again. Just the same as Woolies apart from they don't have the entertainment part now.