You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The value of A in relation to Fanny is:

A = 61 -2 Fanny (squared)

///// ---------------------

//////////////// 2

In case you wanted to know.

On the issue of PC; people who are uneasy with their opinions on other races, sexes and bummers piss me off. It's usually people who have no real grasp on how to address other sections of people that over-react and adopt these laughable stances. You don't need a special code on how to treat black people; you just treat them like people...it's not hard.

Spot on

I miss the old Noos. I don't like this new one who tries to fit in with the forum. Be honest now, how long did you hover over that button thinking "Should I?, Should I really do it? Will Cath tell me off? Will Thants cry a little inside? Oh I just don't know" Before you manned up and pressed that fucking button.

As I neither seek nor wish for your approval, Officer Dribble, what you like and don't like is about as concerning to me as whether or not you give reach-arounds when you're slipping your tiny cock into some bloke's arse.

For the record, I didn't hover over the button before posting this either.

ps. You been negged motherfucker, in anticipation of the neg coming my way.

Just been for some dinner with a mate who was made redundant a while back, and he was telling me how he applied for a PR job with the Greater Manchester Police force.

He said that in the application form he was required to write three whole sides of A4 describing how he'd combated racism and homophobia in the work place.

All he had was the fact he'd hired an asian bloke when he worked in Birmingham. He didn't get the job, and received another three page personalised response outlining how he'd failed to highlight how he'd failed to combat racism and homophobia.

Baffling, It wouldn't be so bad if these organisations didn't just pay over-the-top lis service to it, but as he himself said: "I wouldn't mind, but when I was a kid GMP were throwing half of Hulme down the stairs."

PR PC gone mad.

• 7 years later...

A good article about the history of "Political correctness" as a right-wing myth in The Guardian (where else?)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump?CMP=fb_gu

It's a long read, so here's a summary.

It starts with the lovely word exonym.  "Politically correct" is an exonym - a word that is only ever used to describe others, never oneself.  Just about nobody keeps a straight face and boasts of their own political correctness.  The phrase has generally only ever been used pejoratively.  It was hardly used at all (outside left wing circles) until the late 80s, when a conservative-orchestrated backlash against liberalism in American Universities created a buzzword.  Although the national (and international) campaign against the PC-bogey was initiated by conservatives, liberals enthusiastically joined in, stamping on anything they deemed to be hostile to "free speech".

After 9/11, the focus of right-wing hostility shifted from PC to Muslims.  More recently, the more extreme right-wingers have reignited this trumped-up (pun intended) notion of "PC gone mad" to denigrate all forms of resistance to their politics and to promote their own racism, homophobia and misogyny as "common sense".

As Black Lives Matter and movements against sexual violence gained strength, a spate of thinkpieces attacked the participants in these movements, criticising and trivialising them by saying that they were obsessed with policing speech. Once again, the conversation initially focused on universities, but the buzzwords were new. Rather than “difference” and “multiculturalism”, Americans in 2012 and 2013 started hearing about “trigger warnings”, “safe spaces”, “microaggressions”, “privilege” and “cultural appropriation”.

This time, students received more scorn than professors. If the first round of anti-political-correctness evoked the spectres of totalitarian regimes, the more recent revival has appealed to the commonplace that millennials are spoiled narcissists, who want to prevent anyone expressing opinions that they happen to find offensive...

These pieces committed many of the same fallacies that their predecessors from the 1990s had. They cherry-picked anecdotes and caricatured the subjects of their criticism. They complained that other people were creating and enforcing speech codes, while at the same time attempting to enforce their own speech codes. Their writers designated themselves the arbiters of what conversations or political demands deserved to be taken seriously, and which did not. They contradicted themselves in the same way: their authors continually complained, in highly visible publications, that they were being silenced...

The anti-PC liberals were so focused on leftists on Twitter that for months they gravely underestimated the seriousness of the real threat to liberal discourse. It was not coming from women, people of colour, or queer people organising for their civil rights, on campus or elsewhere. It was coming from @realdonaldtrump, neo-Nazis, and far-right websites such as Breitbart.

The result of this pervasive mood of opposition to political correctness is that a Fascist, who shuts down debate by dismissing all criticism as Political Correctness, has been elected President.

The most alarming part of this approach is what it implies about Trump’s attitude to politics more broadly. His contempt for political correctness looks a lot like contempt for politics itself. He does not talk about diplomacy; he talks about “deals”. Debate and disagreement are central to politics, yet Trump has made clear that he has no time for these distractions. To play the anti-political-correctness card in response to a legitimate question about policy is to shut down discussion in much the same way that opponents of political correctness have long accused liberals and leftists of doing. It is a way of sidestepping debate by declaring that the topic is so trivial or so contrary to common sense that it is pointless to discuss it. The impulse is authoritarian. And by presenting himself as the champion of common sense, Trump gives himself permission to bypass politics altogether...

The opponents of political correctness always said they were crusaders against authoritarianism. In fact, anti-PC has paved the way for the populist authoritarianism now spreading everywhere. Trump is anti-political correctness gone mad.

Have you not seen? It was a complete piss take but didn't stop it being published and then jumped on by the usual suspects.

I hadn't heard, but I see now that a notorious hoaxer has claimed credit for it.

Trust the Guardian to publish something like that sincerely.