You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I know the names of 5000 footballers and minor celebrities but learning a few pronouns to be respectful to struggling people is too hard.

How do you know I was referring to pronouns?

Anyway, all these pronouns are self determined. They can change at any time, you could be xcis when we first meet and ycis the next time. 99.9% of the population will be he or she. It's mental.

• 4 weeks later...

Programme about PC. Pretty good, worth catching up certainly.

Trevor fucking Phillips?  I think I'll pass.

Is this a fair critique?

Has Political Correctness Gone Mad? 

9pm, Channel 4

Trevor Phillips delivers another unhelpful polemic. He rehearses the canard that stopping minority groups being demonised has infringed ordinary people’s freedoms; trivial instances of uncertainty or ambiguity are held up as evidence that the effort to curb hate speech has overreached. This mythical suppression is then blamed, to the exclusion of other factors, for Brexit/Trump: he says we gave anti-immigrant views too little attention, not too much. Jack Seale

Trevor fucking Phillips? I think I'll pass.

Is this a fair critique?

Has Political Correctness Gone Mad? 9pm, Channel 4

Trevor Phillips delivers another unhelpful polemic. He rehearses the canard that stopping minority groups being demonised has infringed ordinary people’s freedoms; trivial instances of uncertainty or ambiguity are held up as evidence that the effort to curb hate speech has overreached. This mythical suppression is then blamed, to the exclusion of other factors, for Brexit/Trump: he says we gave anti-immigrant views too little attention, not too much. Jack Seale

703959_1.jpg

"It's political correctness gone mad I tell you!"

I need an app on my iPhone that updates me each week with the new words I cannot use and the replacements for them if necessary because I just cannot keep up.

I was raised to respect people no matter their gender, colour or race etc. It was a pretty simple formula, treat me ok and I will treat you ok. Now I am often left confused (not in that way) as to what to say or do in case I offend some 'minority majority' it's fucking stupid. 

So until I get the PC App I need so dearly I will just treat everyone with disdain, yeah I mean everyone no matter what or who they are. Well obviously not attractive women, I mean I'm not that daft. 

• Upvote 1

Trevor fucking Phillips? I think I'll pass.

Is this a fair critique?

Has Political Correctness Gone Mad? 9pm, Channel 4

Trevor Phillips delivers another unhelpful polemic. He rehearses the canard that stopping minority groups being demonised has infringed ordinary people’s freedoms; trivial instances of uncertainty or ambiguity are held up as evidence that the effort to curb hate speech has overreached. This mythical suppression is then blamed, to the exclusion of other factors, for Brexit/Trump: he says we gave anti-immigrant views too little attention, not too much. Jack Seale

From the Guardian?

I didn't know Trevor Philips was heavily involved in the Remain campaign.

The section with the uni students was good, as was the artist depicting 'MICIS'.

LGBTQIA?

Let's be honest, if it's a full Scrabble hand, it's not really an acronym any more.

https://www.socialworkhelper.com/2013/07/25/alphabet-soup-the-story-of-lgbtqia/

Lesbian: A female- identified person who is attracted romantically, physically, or emotionally to another female-identified person.

Gay: A male-identified person who is attracted romantically, physically, or emotionally to another male-identified person.

Bisexual: Individuals who are attracted to both men and women romantically, physically, or emotionally.

Transgender: Individuals whose biological sex is different than the gender with which they identify. Sometimes the term “born in the wrong body” is used, however this depends on the individual’s preference.

Transsexual: Transsexual individuals have physically altered their body in order to better match their gender identity. It is a term that refers to biology, not to identity necessarily, and it is indicative of a change in one’s physiology.

Queer: queer is an all-inclusive term referencing lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transpeople, and intersex persons.

*It was previously a derogatory term in the 1980s, however, it has currently been reclaimed when referring to the LGBTQIA community. Queer attempts to reject the idea that the labels of lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender are able to explain any one person’s identity.

Intersex: Someone whose physical sex characteristics are not categorized as exclusively male or exclusively female.

Asexual: A person who is not attracted to anyone or does not have sexual orientation.

It's reaching the point where it might just be easier to drop the labels and address to people by their names.

I've found a way of circumnavigating this issue by referring to everyone as a 'big fucking poof'.

Problem solved although my Mother in Law isn't over the moon about it.

I've found a way of circumnavigating this issue by referring to everyone as a 'big fucking poof'.

Problem solved although my Mother in Law isn't over the moon about it.

It might be that she's a big fucking poof, they get very odd when normal people try to help, but her problem is most likely that she's a woman.

• Upvote 1

I need an app on my iPhone that updates me each week with the new words I cannot use and the replacements for them if necessary because I just cannot keep up.

I was raised to respect people no matter their gender, colour or race etc. It was a pretty simple formula, treat me ok and I will treat you ok. Now I am often left confused (not in that way) as to what to say or do in case I offend some 'minority majority' it's fucking stupid.

So until I get the PC App I need so dearly I will just treat everyone with disdain, yeah I mean everyone no matter what or who they are. Well obviously not attractive women, I mean I'm not that daft.

You've managed to offend 43 million people there. Bravo

• 1 year later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45899784

Kleenex bins 'Mansize' tissues

_103910622_gettyimages-665498060.jpg

Kleenex is scrapping "Mansize" branding from its tissue boxes after 60 years on the shelves as consumers called it out for being sexist.

The company said the tissues would now be called "Extra Large".

The change comes as one customer questioned the firm after her four-year-old son asked if "girls, boys and mummies" can use them.

Kleenex didn't confirm a release date but told shoppers to "keep an eye out" for the new boxes.

Kleenex For Men first launched in 1956, offering an alternative to large cotton handkerchiefs that were still popular at the time, and claiming to "stay strong when wet".

Online critics tweeted Kleenex to ask them why its products still used the term "Mansize", saying "the world is changing" and that "it is 2018".