You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ah well' date=' there you go. Pretty much as the tricolour might be seen. Before you jump on the oppression bit my family were effectively kicked out of the republic but i dont deny oppression of the other side.

Its an argument you or me aint going to win on a ****ball forum.[/quote']

True

It is always tit for tat' date=' how stupid are the politicians that they thought it would be a good idea to ban the Union Jack from the City Hall at this time of the year?

Should have waited till January when everyone is coming down off there Christmas high and couldn't give a fuck.

I for one will never tire until I see the Union J emblazoned where it should be until the day I die, For God N Ulster.[/quote']

Your one of the people who should be kept up there when its chipped off and paddled towards the arctic. Why people even remotely give a fuck if a flag flies or not.

Britain dosnt want you!

We cant afford you!

There is only one solution

Your one of the people who should be kept up there when its chipped off and paddled towards the arctic. Why people even remotely give a fuck if a flag flies or not.

Britain dosnt want you!

We cant afford you!

There is only one solution

To be fair, if you were deciding to chip Northern Ireland off and paddle it towards the north pole it wouldnt be safe to do it based on that lads views.

The "britain doesnt want you" might be an accurate comment, the "we cant afford you" could apply to many counties or areas of england or britain.

You might not like it, but many of those people that want the flag flying consider themselves as british as you are.

To be fair' date=' if you were deciding to chip Northern Ireland off and paddle it towards the north pole it wouldnt be safe to do it based on that lads views.

The "britain doesnt want you" might be an accurate comment, the "we cant afford you" could apply to many counties or areas of england or britain.

You might not like it, but many of those people that want the flag flying consider themselves as british as you are.[/quote']

When he says ' we can't afford you ' I thing he means Southern Ireland as his location is Dublin.

• 6 years later...

Halfway through the Peter Taylor Trilogy of books on the troubles and they are absolutely superb. Highly recommend them to anyone interested in such matters. In turn based on the view from the IRA side, the Loyalist side and the British side. 

First one is called The Provos: The IRA and Sinn Fein:

The Provos: The IRA and Sinn Fein https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0747538182/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_T-JuCb4VBNZJB

Second one: Loyalist. 

Loyalists https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0747545197/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_raKuCbRS45YGB

Third one: Brits: The war against the IRA. 

Brits: The War Against the IRA https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/074755806X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_McKuCbP145F0

The BBC/Peter Taylor also made a documentary based on each book which is well worth a look. The Loyalist and Brits one are on YouTube but they’ve taken down the Provos one, I’ve found it on Vimeo though. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

If you really want to understand 20th century Ireland, or most of the 20th century, the book to read is Ireland, 1912-1985: Politics and Society It's a doorstop so you would really want to understand 20th century Ireland, but it's brilliantly written and delightfully acerbic. I'd even recommend the six pages in the LOOK INSIDE! link on Amazon. The evisceration of a certain political ideology's humbuggery is glorious.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deiseach said:

If you really want to understand 20th century Ireland, or most of the 20th century, the book to read is Ireland, 1912-1985: Politics and Society It's a doorstop so you would really want to understand 20th century Ireland, but it's brilliantly written and delightfully acerbic. I'd even recommend the six pages in the LOOK INSIDE! link on Amazon. The evisceration of a certain political ideology's humbuggery is glorious.

£35.99! Think I’ll put that on the to do list.

• Upvote 1