You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

19 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this 'new generation' just seem like Warrington types with shamrocks shaved into their heads rather than hard-core terrorist groups organised into cells with quatermasters, intelligence units, bazookas and generally well financed and very slick?

They were building a huge bommy on a council estate last week and started throwing shit at some Sin Fein heavy hitter when he came down to call for calm. Place was a veritable festival of Kappa tracksuits.

I think it's gonna be okay. 

A hard border is going to cause mass trouble,  no two ways about it.   More needless deaths. 

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Ive not pressed play on that Mal but if you want a serious well thought out response then my answer is Yes and Yes. 

Wait until you hear them talk.

Did you ever watch "The Windsors" on Channel 4? The girls playing Beatrice and Eugenie were hamming up the "useless posh airhead" accents for comedy effect: these two are the real thing. 

I watched it last night and it was quite interesting but really just a rehash of what we all knew. I thought there would be a bit more insight into the loyalist/unionist side of things but, other than seeing Paisley buying some ice creams, it was just the usual stuff.

Guest Pistonbroke
19 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

The most sinister images of the Troubles are the ones of Gerry Adams eating an ice cream. 

8EB3149E-D620-4CD0-A0A5-2A750316E57C.jpeg

2CFEFF6F-8614-46F5-9E6F-410313585A35.jpeg

92F37209-30C4-4C38-A105-F8E937716C2D.jpeg

He's also shit at darts now. 

• 10 months later...

Just read they’re making a film based on this book. Looks interesting. 

The Road to Balcombe Street https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0789029138/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CefbFbWHB1KGZ

The Road to Balcombe Street: The IRA Reign of Terror in London is the highly detailed account and analysis of law enforcement negotiation lessons learned from the infamous hostage standoff between the London Metropolitan Police (the Met) and four members of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) in the winter of 1975. With eye-witness and first-hand testimony, this book examines the events leading up to the clash and their political context as well as how both sides handled the hostage situation and the strategies and tactics used by the police to safely diffuse the volatile situation. 

Comprehensive and readable, The Road to Balcombe Street: The IRA Reign of Terror in Londonlooks at not only the six days making up the standoff but places the confrontation in unique historical context by giving a detailed summary of IRA activity in London in the years leading up to the siege. In addition, this vital study explores the aftershocks arising from the apprehension of the IRA team as well as the hostage negotiation lessons learned in the conflict.

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...
On 08/03/2009 at 01:40, DjDamyard said:

The troubles were over with (well, the worst of it) when I was born... But from different movies I've seen and things I've heard... Uh-oh.

Who is to be blamed?... Politicians or....? :S

Fucking hell were you 12 when you posted this?