You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All time great Managers?: Daily Mail

ToxtethTerror

utter cunt,[/b] so I'm dipping out now - save to say that if you factor in the quality of the man, I wouldn't have him in the top ten, nevermind number one.

Cunt of the highest order, one hell of a manager though, really badly pains me to say that, his ability to build teams is frightening, just when you think its over he builds a team stronger than the last and that sets him apart from any manager in modern history. Cunt.

Edited by TheBitch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally on the thread subject - Paisley without question;

I've argued over this with Mancs 'til the cows come home and even (shock) managed to convince them that I was right!!

How? Simple - I said whatever Fergie's done (or does) and he's done many things - some to be proud of, many to not; He will NEVER dominate at home and in Europe CONSECUTIVELY for as long or as thoroughly as Paisley did and win in the same period (9 years) the same number of honours Paisley did both at home and abroad.

Moreover, he has never (and will never now, not with only 2 to 3 seasons left at most) evolved a whole new 'house' football style for his club that combines the attributes of the best sides in England AND Europe (ie passion and possession; spirit and passing etc) as Paisley did as a member of our backroom staff for about 4 years after we lost to Red Star Belgrade in 1974 nor will he be an integral part of the previous managers success as Bob Paisley was for Bill Shankly for another 19 or so years before that and in doing so help raise said club from the status of say, Norwich City, Blackburn or West Ham (as we were when Shanks began with us) to THE best side in Europe bar none which we were unquestionably on Bobs retirement.

EVERYTHING Fergies done has been driven by and sustained by money and or the assistence of others - A string of men who made fine assistants and/or gave him the tactical knowledge he lacked in certain areas to win in those areas/competitions (i.e. Mclaren, Quieroz, Kidd and Knox etc), ready made teams bought to order (Ferdinand, Tevez, Berbatov, Carrick, Hargreaves, Yorke, Cole, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kanchelskis, Vidic, Evra, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Keane, Cantona, Dublin, Sheringham, Veron, Solksjaer, Heinze, Van Der Sar, Schmeichel, Bosnich, Irwin, Sharpe, Park, Rooney and Saha have ALL played major parts for United since 1992 onwards and were ALL bought either to stop others having them or because they played well against United - Saha, Cantona and Ronaldo are PRIME examples of this);

On top of this, of course there's Fergie's well known hairdryer and anger treatment whereby he bullies the FA, Referees, the media and anyone else who might make United's life enormously difficult (and all of whom did up until the end of season 1991/1992 but NOT afterwards, wonder why? Funny that) in order to nullify any action from them by scaring them into not acting and the natural 'favoritism' that United enjoy due to their size and influence anyway - with all that stacked against potential challengers (and I mean long-term challengers the likes of which they haven't had since the days of Dalglish with us over decades NOT the odd 4 year period or so), is it any wonder no REALLY long term rival dynasty has appeared since 1993? OR that Ferguson's done so well? Indeed, he'd have to have been a total moron not to have won and but for his total ineptness in Europe for much of that time, they could have won a lot more as well (be thankful for small mercies I suppose!!). I wonder how the Liverpool fans from the above mentioned semi-final v Palace at Villa Park in April 1990 who chanted "Fergie must stay" as United were engulfed in another newspaper scandal and awful league season (common back then) feel now? Not the same I'm sure.

Anyway, for Paisley to have built up an empire much like what Fergie has now but on FAR less money and with NONE of the intimidation and bullying that the whisky drinker has used - along with NO marketing machine and basically nothing but a rapier sharp football brain, a solid grasp of tactics, the 'brains trust' that was the boot room chock full of good lieutenants and future commanders and the Anfield barrage (of noise) was and is nothing short of miraculous given how long said empire endured and makes Bob the winner of ANY greatest manager ever competition hands down.

Bob Paisley stands alone in terms of what he won, the frequency with which he won it, his incomparable football knowledge and the longetivity of what he passed on to his successors. He is quite simply in a class of his own when it comes to acutal management and is clearly the best British manager of all by a long way, a VERY long way indeed.....................................

Spot on.

I wonder about Clough too. What he achieved at Derby and in his early years at Forest was unquestionably fantastic, but they declined rapidly from the early 80s, and but for a single season (87-88) when they tried to hang on our coat tails in a 'title race' they were a mid-table side who never challenged for honours for over a decade under his tenure, and ultimately of course he took them down.