You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Candidates to take over from Rick Parry as Chief Executive

StevieH

The manager is accounatable to the CEO right? Why then does the CEO not have a right to oversee the football side too? Who decides on the managers performance? Recruitment of youth coaches etc? If the manager does all that then do we lose those staff if he leaves and have a skeleton left?

The Manager is accountable to the board of directors. A Chief Executive should be commercially aware and be forward thinking on the commercial activities of a football club. He should be able to maximise profitability, the clubs cashflow and protect the clubs interest in expenditure.

Recruitment of youth coaches should be the responsibility of the Youth Academy Director.

Ultimately it is the supporters and board of directors who will decide on the performance of the manager.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Manager is accountable to the board of directors. A Chief Executive should be commercially aware and be forward thinking on the commercial activities of a football club. He should be able to maximise profitability, the clubs cashflow and protect the clubs interest in expenditure.

Recruitment of youth coaches should be the responsibility of the Youth Academy Director.

Ultimately it is the supporters and board of directors who will decide on the performance of the manager.

I will leave it there but say this, you will never recruit a CEO for a football club with a job advertised as "In charge of all Non Football Matters".... I thought we had Ian Ayres for that anyway.

I thought you wanted a DoF, TT?

They've done so well at West Ham, Chelsea and Spurs since you mentioned it. Ouch.

It depends how you define one, a lot of CEO's act like one e.g. Gill and Dein. Parry didn't know enough about transfers and the footballing side and that was his downfall... if Rafa had a good DoF he could work with we wouldn't have this shit storm e.g. he used to work well with McPartland who acted as a DoF when he was here.

I will leave it there but say this, you will never recruit a CEO for a football club with a job advertised as "In charge of all Non Football Matters".... I thought we had Ian Ayres for that anyway.

A lot of Chief Executives are from Accountancy backgrounds. A Chief Executive should not be involved football related matters like recommending player signings or sales for example, but should be capable of negotiating new contracts for players and other staff and sealing deals for new signings & departures in a prompt manner once recommendations have been made by the manager and approved by the board. He should also be capable of overseeing the move to the new stadium.

It depends how you define one, a lot of CEO's act like one e.g. Gill and Dein. Parry didn't know enough about transfers and the footballing side and that was his downfall... if Rafa had a good DoF he could work with we wouldn't have this shit storm e.g. he used to work well with McPartland who acted as a DoF when he was here.

Rafa thinks he is a good DoF so it just wouldn't work, would it.

David Dein is a seriously powerful man in football. Remember Theo Walcott's surprise selection for the World Cup? Guess who instructed Sven to take him?

He holds a lot of clout at the FA. I can't see him wanting to work with another club though.

But I don't think it's our place to say who should get the job anyway. We're football fans, not business experts. Leave it to the professionals:

Hicks_Gillett.jpg

:whistle:

. Manchester City's Gary Cook seems to be doing a pretty good job there...

If doing a pretty good job means rivalling Kenyon as the most arrogant, most charmless and most hated man in world football, then, yes, Garry Cook's doing a good job. If doing a good job means besmirching the good name of Manchester City by proposing things like 'Manchester City 'energy drinks' and claiming that on-field results are less important than commercial opportunities, then, yes, he's doing a good job. Just lookat his antics over the Kaka deal when he claimed City withdrew for "humanitarian reasons" and he blasted Milan for "bottling it" (ironic given his energy drink strategy!).

Or is this another Garry Cook?

What about someone like Syeed from "The Apprentice"?

These guys were running global operations from their one bedroom flats, imagine what they could achieve with the right resources. We could have the next Alan Sugar running Liverpool Football Club. You know it makes sense.

Just heard Thommo on Soccer Saturday saying Ayres has done a fantastic job and is the best candidate.

Has Thommo lost all sense since he's started working with those gobshites?

Ayres already added 10m to the bottom line. For those of you that say we have to compete with Manure, that's what he's doing.

Dein would be an excellent choice of CEO. We dont want barwick. Apart from his ineptitude at the FA, have we not learned from having yet another 'fan' take over the CEO position.

Ayers is supposed to be a leading contender but I think we can do better. The only potential problem I can see to getting a 'top notch' CEO on board is the amount of control he'd want. And we've just seen the result of one power struggle at Anfield over an issue such as this.

Its possible we could potentially end up with a weak CEO which may cause just as much trouble.