You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aurelio...

1892-LFCWasBorn

Guest RafaIsRafa

He was immense tonight, like he is in every big game. The list of wingers in his pocket grows and grows. For all the stuff about his passing (and he is very decent on the ball) its his defending thats his best asset, cant remember any game where a match is ended and thought he's had a complete mare against a winger.

Deserves a chance for Brazil but in a cruel way I hope he doesnt get it.

Not many left backs out there I'd want over him to be honest. I'd say Evra and maybe Cole, but for a composed, tactical European performance he's brilliant. Some people (Code 72 step forward) have been knocking his free-kicks. If they are from 25+ yards he shouldn't take them, but from 18-24 yards I reckon he's our best shot at a direct free kick, as he gets much more swerwe (sp?) on the ball than Alonso or Gerrard. Problem is that we get so few attempts in that area, so he hasn't really got to exercise what is his specialty. Not sure if there are any youtube clips from his Valencia days, but the season Carew broke through I watched a few Valencia games, and he scored some brilliant free kicks. A range thing as well as a confidence thing (he knows he only gets one attempt with us, as Gerrard will be breathing down his neck for the next attempt...). Look at Ronaldo, he's having 4 or 5 pops at those ludicrous shots of his every game, no wonder one comes off from time to time.

Another important aspect is the inswinging free-kicks/corners I think. We're virtually the only top team in Europe that use more outswinging (is that a word, I guess you know what I mean) set-pieces than inswinging. For teams of small stature it has the added bonus that if you direct them towards goal you don't necessarily have to touch the ball to create a goal, the keeper will be greatly troubled if it goes straight through the pack of players in front of him...

Okay, I'll be back with more set-piece blabber another time. Thought I'd share some of my thoughts with you.

PS! Re-read it and it sounded like Gerrard couldn't score from inside 25 yards. Not exactly, but he wont be able to bend it over the wall, more like the ball being pushed to one side and he whacks it (Portsmouth last year - I'm the man celebration-like...).

Guest RafaIsRafa
When fit

Yep, thats the annoying thing in it? I think he's top top class, he's tenacious, good on the ball and very good defensively but you only get about 10-15 top class class games a season out of him, the rest is spent injured or playing and looking a little rusty after injury.

A massive shame but swings and roundabouts I suppose, he wouldnt of been going on a free from Valencia if he was fit all the time.

Always said I'd take Aurelio over any other Lb in the country, it's a fantastic point about his performances in big games. Despite his lack of pace, no winger has ever handed him his arse, and I think his general play is good. I wish he'd get forward more because he's got very good technique and a good delivery.

Hope he can stay fit.

He's miles better than his opposite number, ex manc Heinze. I was delighted his move to us never came off, even though Rafa wanted him so much.

Aurelio is a much better LB.

Good shout, but I would have been more than happy with Heinze at the time and we thought we had a problem at LB - still do. Fab is still injury prone but as is said the quality we were hoping for is now starting to show with a bit of a run.

Hope he's not going to be slated next time we has a poor result...........

S