You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Redundancy Notice...

Anubis

• 1 month later...

We found out today that due to Network Rail cutting their output by 33% this year our company is going to be laying off 25% of the production staff. Looking for voluntaries first (I reckon that might hit 10% at best) and then it will be compulsaries. No idea how they will be deciding who is for the chop.

Way to get out of a recession during environmentally troubled times, you fucking genius'; cut back on rail-renewal.

We found out today that due to Network Rail cutting their output by 33% this year our company is going to be laying off 25% of the production staff. Looking for voluntaries first (I reckon that might hit 10% at best) and then it will be compulsaries. No idea how they will be deciding who is for the chop.

Way to get out of a recession during environmentally troubled times, you fucking genius'; cut back on rail-renewal.

So much for financial stimulus eh? One would have thought now was the time to finally get us some bullet trains, bridges and shit.

I get this distinct impression any Gordon Brown-sponsored FDR-style stimulus will mostly disappear into the pockets of consultants who look a bit like Mathew Wright.

matthew-wright.jpg

So much for financial stimulus eh? One would have thought now was the time to finally get us some bullet trains, bridges and shit.

I get this distinct impression any Gordon Brown-sponsored FDR-style stimulus will mostly disappear into the pockets of consultants who look a bit like Mathew Wright.

matthew-wright.jpg

I think this might actually be a Network rail thing and not an MP thing though. Someone said that they'd read Hoon wasn't happy at what was going on as it looks like NR are using this as an excuse to slice down the contractors to a size they think is best. I fucking hope I miss the bullet.

Funny though, there's a fella in my team who's about sixty and has been on for about forty years. He was pleased as punch today, xmas came early.

Is £60.50 all they pay over there? You should get yourself over to Ireland 206 euro a week for our lazy dole scum here! It's a lazy arse's paradise.

Here, why don't you do me a favour and fuck off. People talk about the degradation of society and all the "scum" that are around nowadays but I think its as equally shambolic how easily people throw around the word "scum" and "sub-human" and the likes.

So, your basically saying that the massed ranks of newly unemployed people are "scum" are ya? It is looking increasingly likely Im going to have to leave this country now to try and secure work. Please don't refer to me and the thousands of others like me who were born a couple of years too late to suck frantically at the teet of the Celtic Tiger (buying second properties artifically creating a unsustainable construction bubble that was bound to burst) as "scum."

I actually do take your point though, I do think it is probably too high and probably a disincentive to work in minimum wage jobs.

Just have a wee bit of manners in future.

I reckon that if this had happened a couple of years down the line I'd have hotfooted it to Aus with the cash but I'm not up for that yet. I'll just keep my job that I really like if that's okay? Please?

I heard there's going to be 20 going at our depot. I don't know if that's true or just hearsay. Good luck, mate.

Here, why don't you do me a favour and fuck off. People talk about the degradation of society and all the "scum" that are around nowadays but I think its as equally shambolic how easily people throw around the word "scum" and "sub-human" and the likes.

So, your basically saying that the massed ranks of newly unemployed people are "scum" are ya? It is looking increasingly likely Im going to have to leave this country now to try and secure work. Please don't refer to me and the thousands of others like me who were born a couple of years too late to suck frantically at the teet of the Celtic Tiger (buying second properties artifically creating a unsustainable construction bubble that was bound to burst) as "scum."

I actually do take your point though, I do think it is probably too high and probably a disincentive to work in minimum wage jobs.

Just have a wee bit of manners in future.

Jesus, take a chill pill. It was posted as tongue in cheek. I fully realise the seriousness of the situation for everybody. No job is safe these days as well as my own.

I heard there's going to be 20 going at our depot. I don't know if that's true or just hearsay. Good luck, mate.

It's going to be one in four so that figure is probably not too far off. I'm hoping a lot of the old timers take the volountary but I'm not banking on it. If it goes on performance and managers at a local level give input into who to keep I should piss it but if it's a purely financial thing decided further up my five years isn't that much to pay off so I'd be more twitchy.

Didn't know you were still there to be honest mate.

Cheers SM. It's not that I don't think I'd find work, it's that it simply wouldn't be as good as I've got it now and I might end up with something really rubbish with a lot of travel given this will be industry wide so a lot of competition is out there (with more years of connections).

I'm also now rather happy that I don't have a mortgage looming over me.

• 5 years later...

Seems as though my boss has been laid off but nobody has heard from him. Apparently that's how it rolls with managers, you get taken for a conversation Mafia style and are never seen again. The company is making a profit too - let the good times roll. Really do hate this shit, it's no way to live. 

Been laid off twice, and both times was asked to arrange and perform training modules for my replacements overseas, after getting the news.

Had to laugh at how brazen that is.

Good luck to those under the threat. This is not to be glib as I know all about the pressure it can put you under, and that in many instances it's solely a negative, but sometimes you do look back glad it happened and better off, once the dust settles and you get sorted again.

Been laid off twice, and both times was asked to arrange and perform training modules for my replacements overseas, after getting the news.

Good luck to those under the threat. This is not to be glib as I know all about the pressure it can put you under, and that in many instances it's solely a negative, but sometimes you do look back glad it happened and better off, once the dust settles and you get sorted again.

I've been thinking about retraining as something else lately but it seems there's no industry safe, if the greater economy can screw you out of a decent wage and career by fair means or foul it will. There's absolutely no place safe anymore. 

That is so cold - don't think I could do it.