You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Redundancy Notice...

Anubis

there's plenty worse off than me. I've just finished a very good 12 month contract so I'm ok for a while, but having paid my stamp for 20 years I figure I'll have a little bit back.

You're right about the little bit. After paying tax for 30 years, I have been told I "might" get £60.50 per week. However, they will increase it if you claim to be a terrorist who hates the UK

SM I thought you were a criminal lawyer? Is that not recession proof surely??

Scary times man, I've been worrying about pensions lately for some reason. My boss retired two weeks ago with a final salary pension scheme, I haven't even got a basic one. Probelm is, I genuinely can't see the company existing in ten years (at most) so don't know what to do about it.

I got told Last week that my company will be making another 160 redudundant within the next 90 days, on top of the 300 they got rid of the end of last year. I was lucky to survive last time, so it's a certanty i will get the chop this time round. But these things happen in life and im determind not to let it get me down and make me ill.

SM I thought you were a criminal lawyer? Is that not recession proof surely??

All criminal law firms have taken a knock over the past few years, but I think the partners at ours didn't have the business sense to build enough of a safety net in the event of tougher times.

But these things happen in life and im determind not to let it get me down and make me ill.

Fingers crossed you're wrong about your position MAC, but that's the view I'm taking. There are people a lot worse off than me, with a lot more to lose. The worst thing you can do is let the worry eat at you.

I'm signing on tomorrow for the first time in 22 years. Do you still have to go to the DHSS or can you do it online these days?

My old man is going through the same thing and by all accounts, it depends if you get someone who knows what they're doing to make it all as pain free as possible.

The old man has had to sign on before, many moons ago, and says that there is a noticeable difference in the quality of service from then to now, same as most things I suppose.

Good luck anyways, hope you get something that suits you as soon as.

All criminal law firms have taken a knock over the past few years, but I think the partners at ours didn't have the business sense to build enough of a safety net in the event of tougher times.

Fingers crossed you're wrong about your position MAC, but that's the view I'm taking. There are people a lot worse off than me, with a lot more to lose. The worst thing you can do is let the worry eat at you.

Sorry to hear/read about your potential redundancy, if it makes you feel a little better, I've been wishing for mine for the past few years, though to my disappointment, the opportunity has not yet arisen. Yet.....

Can't afford to up sticks and leave, who can? Though at the same time, the company are reluctant to allow voluntary redundancy at the minute.

Sorry to hear about that SM, and everyone else on this thread who are facing hart times. It's not good lately is it.

I work in the private sector although on long term secondment to the public sector. Just this morning I've handed in an application form for a similar but better paid (and better perks) job within the public sector. My original thinking was that I'd be recession proof for a couple of years. But then I read that there will probably be spending cuts in the public sector in the next year or so and I realise that things may not always be greener.

Worrying shit.

I too work in the public sector, but we haven't got enough funding to keep me on. So March 31st is my last day then i'm signing on myself. Worked here for 4 years, but because it's annual contracts there's no redundancy pay.

Been looking for jobs since Christmas when it became evident that there was no money here, had one interview but didnt get the job. Last thing I want to do is sign on, but the clock is ticking.

Started down the Redundancy Road myself on the 6th . Claimed JSA online on the 7th and had my "interview"on the 11th. I will get JSA Conts £60.50 less my pension each week so I'm signing on for about £15 but I must prove I'm looking for work or I will lose it. First payment will be "sometime in March, as we're busy". Not that many employers looking for 61 year olds..............

Started down the Redundancy Road myself on the 6th . Claimed JSA online on the 7th and had my "interview"on the 11th. I will get JSA Conts £60.50 less my pension each week so I'm signing on for about £15 but I must prove I'm looking for work or I will lose it. First payment will be "sometime in March, as we're busy". Not that many employers looking for 61 year olds..............

Sorry to hear about that mate, times are tough for everyone but the way being on the dole makes you feel is shit.

good news, I've got another 3 months at Barclays as soon as the paperwork comes through, so what should i do about the dole interview?

I'm tempted to go anyway because I've paid in for 20 years so I fucking want my two days dole on principle.

amusing suggestions are welcome

good news, I've got another 3 months at Barclays as soon as the paperwork comes through, so what should i do about the dole interview?

I'm tempted to go anyway because I've paid in for 20 years so I fucking want my two days dole on principle.

amusing suggestions are welcome

As long as there has been a 'break' in employment, then I can't think there should be any problem mate.

I'd keep your JobCentrePlus interview, just to save you all the hassle and mind numbing inanity of it in 3 months time should you be in the same boat. While you are there just explain the situation, that you have an offer of work and they will or should tell you the procedure.

As long as there has been a 'break' in employment, then I can't think there should be any problem mate.

I'd keep your JobCentrePlus interview, just to save you all the hassle and mind numbing inanity of it in 3 months time should you be in the same boat. While you are there just explain the situation, that you have an offer of work and they will or should tell you the procedure.

what's amusing about that? thats all serious good advice. Booooo