You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It's political correctness gone....erm...

dirty_sanchez

21 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

‘Toilet’ would probably solve it too. 

Yeah. I've been in plenty of places where the bog is more or less like you'd have at home - a small room with a lockable door. That meets everyone's requirements  (as far as gender is concerned) with no fuss.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:10 AM, aRdja said:

Thoughts on this?  PC gone mad or much ado about a unisex toilet?

I just had a look at that on Twitter.  Some of the replies are boss. The dominant theme is "I would be worried about my child using a bog if there was a weirdo outside filming the door".

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:48 PM, Strontium Dog said:

Funny you should say that, as the women's toilets in our workplace are notoriously filthier than the gents'.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:20 PM, Geoff Woade said:

Same at mine, for some reason a woman decided to use an empty crisp bag and leave it on the floor next to the toilet instead of just going in the toilet. Brave new world we’re living in it seems.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:24 PM, AngryofTuebrook said:

Same in ours. Some agricultural horrors go on in the ladies.

I had no idea about this, I'd always assumed the Gents must be the filthiest.

Raises an interesting question though - would a Trans toilet be cleaner than both, or the sum of all dirtiness? 

Lots of comments from women on Twitter about loos being a safe place from creepy blokes (Lifey for example).  Maybe let the women decide.  It’s a tough one. My experience of them has been in pubs and work so different from maybe stations or public places where there are more weirdos. (Blame Adam Rutherford for my turnaround!) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I had no idea about this, I'd always assumed the Gents must be the filthiest.

Raises an interesting question though - would a Trans toilet be cleaner than both, or the sum of all dirtiness? 

Me too. Or should it be @metoo? Whenever I went to the women's toilet at work, it was much more pleasant. Same with flats / houses, with only men living in them.

8 hours ago, rico1304 said:

Lots of comments from women on Twitter about loos being a safe place from creepy blokes (Lifey for example).  Maybe let the women decide.  It’s a tough one. My experience of them has been in pubs and work so different from maybe stations or public places where there are more weirdos. (Blame Adam Rutherford for my turnaround!) 

I think they have a Korean Web show about that safe place -- nice clean bathrooms, no creepy blokes, hi resolution cameras, the whole bit.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, rico1304 said:

What a world, in which women have to hide in a stinking shitbox just to feel safe. 

Denying bogs to trans people is clearly not an answer to that.

The major issue to the toilet thing is letting people with working male genitalia use female toilets.  Of course, having working male genitalia does not  mean that these would be used to sexually assault anyone but I can see the root of some of the objections is genuine concern.   

It's a very tricky issue. Roll on 2050 when all 10,000 genders are recognised and all public toilets are individual, monitored and managed by nanobots who will genetically engineer your genitalia according to which door you pick. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

The major issue to the toilet thing is letting people with working male genitalia use female toilets.  Of course, having working male genitalia does not  mean that these would be used to sexually assault anyone but I can see the root of some of the objections is genuine concern.   

I don't get the concern. A woman is no more or less at risk from assault in a bog than anywhere else (and I don't think there's a single verified report of a woman being assaulted by a trans person in a big). And women's bogs are all individual lockable cubicles, so it's nobody's business what the person next door is pissing through. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

It's a very tricky issue. Roll on 2050 when all 10,000 genders are recognised and all public toilets are individual, monitored and managed by nanobots who will genetically engineer your genitalia according to which door you pick. 

Why is there an issue with people with male genitalia using the toilet?

It’s a lockable cubicle - unless I have not been in the proper women’s toilets where they all sit around a communal piss pot talking about their vaginas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I don't get the concern. A woman is no more or less at risk from assault in a bog than anywhere else (and I don't think there's a single verified report of a woman being assaulted by a trans person in a big). And women's bogs are all individual lockable cubicles, so it's nobody's business what the person next door is pissing through. 

I think the concern is that women see bogs as somewhere safe, a refuge from blokes. If any bloke can wander in without challenge because he self ids as trans they feel less safe.  

43 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

I think the concern is that women see bogs as somewhere safe, a refuge from blokes. If any bloke can wander in without challenge because he self ids as trans they feel less safe.  

I still don’t really get the logic of that argument. 

There won’t be any blokes just wandering into the women’s toilets, any more than normal (let’s face it, we have all done it at least once when pissed).

Or will there?

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I still don’t really get the logic of that argument. 

There won’t be any blokes just wandering into the women’s toilets, any more than normal (let’s face it, we have all done it at least once when pissed).

Or will there?

As a bloke it’ll have zero impact on me, other than looking sheepish when a bird has to use the shitter after I’ve destroyed it.  

I think the view is that at the moment a bloke walking into the ladies is immediately noticed and that ‘risk’ may put off some dodgy blokes from going in. If it’s normal for them to be seen in ladies bogs the risk is perceived to be greater.  

Im struggling to see how advocates of safe spaces in uni’s etc want to get rid of safe spaces.  

• Upvote 1

My first experience of unisex toilets was on a school trip in Belgium. We were in some cafe in Bruges and I had some syrup pancakes for breakfast. Fuckers went right through me. Hurried downstairs to the toilet and the most beautiful flemish female specimen ever to sniff the froth off a Leffe was washing her hands.

Anyway I was too occupied with emptying my body sharpish to acknowledge a woman there and locked myself into the cubicle. I waited a minute or so until I heard the door go and proceeded to deliver a full blown shitbreak from american pie explosion. I was sweating and everything. Next thing I heard my mates voice and asked him if he saw that fit woman who just left the bathroom. he just said "yeah". I then said something along the lines of "I'd love to fuck her" or whatever a 15 year old lad would say about such a beauty when I heard him start laughing. Turns out she had been there the whole time doing her make-up in the mirror or something and the door noise was him coming into the bathroom to wait for the cubicle. I refused to leave for about 15 minutes. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, rico1304 said:

Surely the problem is with the world outside the bog.

And I don't see David Walliams with an Edwardian frock and a parasol strolling unchallenged into any women's bogs any time soon. 

Do you agree with the American right-wingers who are trying to force trans women to use men's bogs? (I hope not, because that is obviously a much greater risk.)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Surely the problem is with the world outside the bog.

And I don't see David Walliams with an Edwardian frock and a parasol strolling unchallenged into any women's bogs any time soon. 

Do you agree with the American right-wingers who are trying to force trans women to use men's bogs? (I hope not, because that is obviously a much greater risk.)

Apparently, using women's is equally risky.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/pa5nxz/2-women-charged-with-kidnapping-and-sexual-battery-after-following-trans-woman-into-a-bar-bathroom

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Why is there an issue with people with male genitalia using the toilet?

It’s a lockable cubicle - unless I have not been in the proper women’s toilets where they all sit around a communal piss pot talking about their vaginas.

As a bloke I wouldn't consider myself qualified to comment on their safe spaces or how they feel about it. It's clear though that there are women who feel uncomfortable with the situation and I can sort of understand why. 

It's an established social rule that the genders are separated in toilets that this new wave of accepted other genders has upset. I guess in a few decades we'll laugh to our grandchildren about how people didn't used to shit in one communal pot

5 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

As a bloke I wouldn't consider myself qualified to comment on their safe spaces or how they feel about it. It's clear though that there are women who feel uncomfortable with the situation and I can sort of understand why. 

It's an established social rule that the genders are separated in toilets that this new wave of accepted other genders has upset. I guess in a few decades we'll laugh to our grandchildren about how people didn't used to shit in one communal pot

Is it? Unisex toilets have been around for as long as toilets have existed. This is a very fucking fringe issue, at best