You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why Steven Gerrard struggles to have the complete love of the Kop

Nomad

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been times in the past that I have felt like that ansd Gerrard has pissed me off,but I am over that now and fucking love Gerrard and we would be mighty fucked without him

Question to everyone who does feel that way still: Would you sell him ?

Course not, he's one of the worlds best players.

It's just a niggling thing at the back of your mind with Stevie, I really can't explain it, but every time I have a good discussion about him, the Chelsea Transfer Saga just seems to be one of the first things that comes into my mind.

It's understandable that he acted like a twat in the past, given how he carried the club on his back for so long, and still does. That kind of pressure and responsiblity can do funny things to people, and lets face it, he's not the biggest extrovert in the world is he.

I fucking love Steven Gerrard, I've completely forgiven him for all the shite that happened a few years ago. I don't see what more he could have done to make up for it all. I don't hold him in the same esteem as Carra, but that's because Carra is a complete one off and I doubt we'll see anyone like him again.

I understand those who still have a beef, but personally I let it go a long time ago.

I agree with much of the above - some of it's right but it is also fanciful in places. There's a bit of grit in the eye with Gerrard - if he was like Emlyn Hughes or Kenny on the pitch, instead of this strangely saturnine and sometimes rather aloof creature, he'd be so loved it would be almost unbearable, but he's still gloriously impressive. The Chelski flirtation really did hurt, and so did, over a much longer period, the fact that the media used his brilliance as a stick with which to beat the rest of the team, but I think there's more warmth in the relationship now than there's ever been. When you consider the pressure he's been under for so long it's amazing he's so normal - the fact he might seem, to us, a bit abnormal is far less surprising.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
There has been times in the past that I have felt like that ansd Gerrard has pissed me off,but I am over that now and fucking love Gerrard and we would be mighty fucked without him

Question to everyone who does feel that way still: Would you sell him ?

Of course you wouldn't, well not unless it was for a figure that City were willing to pay for Kaka.

I suppose a more pertinent question would be, would I swop him for anyone else, and the answer would, without a doubt, be would I fuck.

The lad is one of the best players in the world, that has never been in question.

But his percieved aloofishness and arrogance hasn't at times endeared him to the natives.

Yeah, I know he isn't. But he makes this sound like Gerrard is almost hated, and is certainly the most unpopular of the players. He's not by any stretch. I don't see Gerrard as the true fan on the pitch anymore after all the Chelsea shite, but I certainly love the fact he plays for us and I know he'd go headfirst through a wall for the shirt on match day.

the Chelsea shite...who can blame him for being tempted by the richest club in the world by arguably the best manager in the world. why would you stick with a SHIT team just because you're a boyhood fan...its worked out alright now, with hindsight, but if we had lost in Istanbul and in Cardiff v West Ham in may 2006 and he had gone to Chelski you wouldn't blame him for moving. As much as it would break my heart i couldn't blame him. There's a difference between being a passionate fan thinking with you're heart or being a rational professional in pursuit of a successful career.

It's similar to the Barry Saga now IMO

In terms of the article though, i agree, its utter bollocks, How arrogant of stevie to rally the crowd after a goal in a European Cup Final?!...he should have just accepted defeat gracefully and not tried to give the fans hope....tosser

I dread to think where we would be without Gerrard over the last few years although it does annoy me when the commentators/media bring up we rely on him but the truth is we do rely on both him and Torres which is why we need goals to come from elsewhere as well.

Tony Evans is a Liverpudlian, but also a prime example of modern sport journalist: take a half truth, a dream induced notion or some similarly flimsy idea and build it up until it becomes a solid 'fact'. To suggest that Gerrard is so unpopular with Liverpool supporters is an absolute nonsense. To infer that Steven Gerrard evokes an Owen-esque level of indifference or outright dislike amongst Kopites is complete and utter rubbish.

Tony Evans may himself have an envious resentment of Gerrard's style, attitude or the wealth he has accumulated from his God given talent. Who knows? The fact that he produces a piece of such bilious subjectivity suggests, to me, that Evans himself is far from fond of our captain.

Big fat, sweaty guy resents talents, lifestyle and icon status of skilled, millionaire athlete with well fuckable wife. Writes shite about said athlete to make himself feel better about his own life. That's much more probable, although I am only suggesting as much on the strength of actually having seen Tony Evans. Everything after 'Big fat, sweaty guy....' I am only assuming. It probably isn't the truth but it could be passed of as such in The Times.

I actually now quite like Gerrard too by the way.

But I'll never forgive him for what he did to us two summers in succession, and I think he needs a large dose of humility drumming in to him. But then, I suppose it's his arriogance that makes him the player he is. So we'll meet at that impasse and just get on with things I guess.

I'll be honest though, it's only in the last few months I've been able to snig his name at the match again. I felt a bit dirty about that for a while.

He's the wife who cheated on you, but she's just too damn good in bed to fuck her off completely. Proper muck. Deep throat. Pissing. Dirty Darts. All that good stuff.

I like that. Ergo, I like Gerrrard, cos he's a boss mucky cunt.

Strange article at a strange time. I love the lad, but I think not liking him is considered somehow fashionable in some quarters. i,e "if you knew what I knew mate, you'd feel the same - nudge nudge wink wink"

I judge players by what they do on the pitch, he could kill dolphins for sport in his spare time for all I care, as long as he performs then he'll have my support.

I actually now quite like Gerrard too by the way.

But I'll never forgive him for what he did to us two summers in succession, and I think he needs a large dose of humility drumming in to him. But then, I suppose it's his arriogance that makes him the player he is. So we'll meet at that impasse and just get on with things I guess.

I'll be honest though, it's only in the last few months I've been able to snig his name at the match again. I felt a bit dirty about that for a while.

He's the wife who cheated on you, but she's just too damn good in bed to fuck her off completely. Proper muck. Deep throat. Pissing. Dirty Darts. All that good stuff.

I like that. Ergo, I like Gerrrard, cos he's a boss mucky cunt.

Brilliant. Fucking brilliant.

Tony Evans who wrote that article is a massive Liverpool fan.

Just to clarify. I know he is. And I've read his stuff before and liked it, in particular the top 50 players of which while I disagreed with a lot of it, I loved how it was written from a fans perspective. (See the McManaman comment as an example)

However, this piece felt like it was written by someone with an axe to grind and a hatred for someone to the extent that they get normal things and try and twist them against the person as some sort of wrongdoing. (For reference, read about 80% of posts on Rafa Benitez on every forum)