You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why Steven Gerrard struggles to have the complete love of the Kop

Nomad

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the fuck is this?

The perfect example of ambivalence to Gerrard came in Istanbul. After he scored Liverpool’s opening goal, he turned to rouse the crowd, gesturing with his arms for fans to turn up the volume. The volume rose, for sure, but there was an irritated growl behind it: we didn’t need lesson in support from him. Afterwards, he hogged the cup, with only Jamie Carragher wresting it away for any length of time. Not the Liverpool way. Not the work of a captain, either.

What utter shite. I don't remember this "growl" he refers to. Utter utter bolox in that piece. There is no doubt that Gerrard is not thought of in the same light as Carra, but no one is. And no one probably ever will again. Gerrard is a close second in the love he receives fronm the Kop. And the "Hollywood balls" thing is just a criticismof some decisions he makes. Christ, every player gets that kind of criticism o bad decisions

That piece sounds like it was written by a Manc or bitter pretending to be a Liverpool fan to try and stir up shite. Terrible old bolox.

Don't really follow, which part is laughable?

What the fuck is this?

The perfect example of ambivalence to Gerrard came in Istanbul. After he scored Liverpool’s opening goal, he turned to rouse the crowd, gesturing with his arms for fans to turn up the volume. The volume rose, for sure, but there was an irritated growl behind it: we didn’t need lesson in support from him. Afterwards, he hogged the cup, with only Jamie Carragher wresting it away for any length of time. Not the Liverpool way. Not the work of a captain, either.

What utter shite. I don't remember this "growl" he refers to. Utter utter bolox in that piece. There is no doubt that Gerrard is not thought of in the same light as Carra, but no one is. And no one probably ever will again. Gerrard is a close second in the love he receives fronm the Kop. And the "Hollywood balls" thing is just a criticismof some decisions he makes. Christ, every player gets that kind of criticism o bad decisions

That piece sounds like it was written by a Manc or bitter pretending to be a Liverpool fan to try and stir up shite. Terrible old bolox.

that part

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
What the fuck is this?

I think it's bang on the money, alot of lads I know locally who go the game feel the same way.

Also think the comment about his arrest making him a little more endearing to the natives is spot on.

And trust me, Tony is definately no Manc or Blue on a wind up.

I think it's bang on the money, alot of lads I know locally who go the game feel the same way.

Also think the comment about his arrest making him a little more endearing to the natives is spot on.

And trust me, Tony is definately no Manc or Blue on a wind up.

Yeah, I know he isn't. But he makes this sound like Gerrard is almost hated, and is certainly the most unpopular of the players. He's not by any stretch. I don't see Gerrard as the true fan on the pitch anymore after all the Chelsea shite, but I certainly love the fact he plays for us and I know he'd go headfirst through a wall for the shirt on match day.

The stuff about Istanbul is shite though. I was there, and I'd be pretty sure you were and there was no undercurrent in any cheering and I didn't begrudge him running around with the trophy either. It's just another case of Liverpoool bashing. You never see this about that snidey spa-lipped cunt up the road.

There was a lot of Stevie Me and The Ego stuff bandied around at the time of the Chelsea interest. Some of his comments didn't help either, about how he'd have to consider his future here if we didn't progress to his approval.

Things have improved vastly since then, and he's often been one of the few uplifting things about the club (with Torres) during recent times. He's matured and leads by example and inspiration rather than shouting and chasing referees and generally being a twat like Terry.

That writer still clearly has a beef with him though. Unhelpful and mischievous article at a time when everyone need to pull together.

And that line where he effectively has a go at him for showing a bit of passion in Istanbul (the goal celebration) is cuntish.

Well first off the Attaturk is a big stadium. Where he was sitting,it may have appeared that way and I have to admit where I was sitting there was a few " who the fuck does he think he is?".

Whats more is that Gerrard clearly does not recieve the adulation his talents merit. Everyone realises that he's a great player but as a man a lot of fans don't really have any time for our skipper. If he played for any other club, he'd more than likely be treated with a lot more love by their fans.

Even in saying that , I don't blame our fans. Gerrard's behaviour for a few years was shocking even if he has matured beyond all recognition.

For me I can never forgive him for what he said to Shreeves in the Ataturk that night about ten minutes after the final whistle.

I just think a lot of scouse reds judge him on how they would be captain and on former captains.

" How can I leave after a night like this"?

I have never forgotten what he did with the whole Chelsea situation, I've forgiven him, but never forgotten it.

That 24 hours after which he handed in the transfer request just made me feel sick and used. Watching the TV and every story using the footage from the Euro Final was a killer.

He may have scored some crucial goals that season, and played a key part in Istanbul, but he was a massive dickhead that season.

I don't get the context of this though - some valid points in 2005 maybe but why the fuck drag it all up now?

Probably off the back of the Top 50 list that was published over the weekend

That year when I was on holiday, I was talking footie with some fans, and we where talking about our favourite players.

The fella in question was a Celtic Fan and he said 'Bet yours is Steven Gerrard' me and the other people from Liverpool laughed and said 'Nah, Jamie Carragher'

With Jamie Carragher and the locals, they can relate themselves to him, I just can't seem to do that with Gerrard.

Yeah, I know he isn't. But he makes this sound like Gerrard is almost hated, and is certainly the most unpopular of the players. He's not by any stretch. I don't see Gerrard as the true fan on the pitch anymore after all the Chelsea shite, but I certainly love the fact he plays for us and I know he'd go headfirst through a wall for the shirt on match day.

The stuff about Istanbul is shite though. I was there, and I'd be pretty sure you were and there was no undercurrent in any cheering and I didn't begrudge him running around with the trophy either. It's just another case of Liverpoool bashing. You never see this about that snidey spa-lipped cunt up the road.

I understand what your saying, but I can also understand how it could be seen in a different light, we all interpret things in different ways.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong

And in regards to the comment in bold, your forgetting one thing

We have standards