You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man United 'Southern fans' myth exploded once and for all

Newport

Came across this when I was reading Brian Reade's column.

Man United 'Southern fans' myth exploded once and for all

By Steve Anglesey on Feb 15, 09 07:05 PM in 3pm

No further comment needed on this selection from the excellent Hammers website Westhamonline.net, which appeared in their away fans Q&A section ahead of last week’s match against Manchester United:

QUESTION: Do you prefer London games as you get home quicker after the match?

MAN UNITED FAN JOHN SIMPSON: Ha, ha – It is a myth that people from Manchester don’t support United, The majority of our Old Trafford support comes from Manchester, the only reason we get this label is because we are so well supported around the world which you’d expect of such a great club.

QUESTION: Where do you live?

MAN UNITED FAN JOHN SIMPSON: Chigwell, Essex.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/football-banter/2009/02/man-united-southern-fans-myth.html

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support Liverpool when my nearest clubs are either Leicester or Peterborough.

I was born in Liverpool.

My kids were born in Kettering but they will support Liverpool.

Sorry, but this whole 'look where he lives' shite is just that. Shite.

A red fan is welcome wherever they're from. I suspect it's exactly the same for other clubs*.

EDIT: *Except maybe Milwall or Leeds.

Chigwell - that's worthy of a Hancock's Half Hour put-down!

To be fair, as Beardo would say, often, any big club will attract more and more fans outside its area - I wince whenever they have reds in London studios and they're invariably cockney wideboys. It shouldn't be a surprise - it's just cheaper and more convenient to get Londoners into London studios - but it still rankles a bit. It works the other way, too: local news shows still act as though the industrial revolution never happened and everyone still lives where their family put down roots in 1660. I've a relation who now works in East Anglia, and every time the local news bloke pops up a la Alan Partridge and says, 'You'll all be delighted to hear that Colchester got three points at the weekend,' he'll scream, NO! I'M NOT!!!!. So there's always a danger of sounding like an embittered bluenose. Having said all of that, the southern manc has always been a genuine phenomenon, and an increasingly risible one at that. There must be some kind of mathematical equation someone can work out, based on distance from mancland combined with lack of football knowledge. The typical result will have 'RONALDO' on the back of his number '9' shirt.

I've always had a problem with southerners with no connection to Liverpool following us. The can give whatever reason but the basic fact is it's cos we're good and we win things and i wonder how many would keep supporting us when that ceased to be the case. If i was from down there i know i'd support my local team. It's different for Irish etc cos their leagues are almost amatuer standard.

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with that but it's how i feel. There's nothing worse than hearing someone shout 'Come own Liverpawl' in a big southern accent. Well, maybe the 4 cockney lad in front of me shouting 'Fack off Chewlsea' the other week. That really was cringe worthy.

I think the family tradition is vital. That certainly works for me. When I'm most emotional and we've just won there's every ghost of every late related red whirling round me. That's probably down to drink but I can't imagine how it feels if you just started supporting the club because they won a cup when you were eight or you liked the colour of the kit. There must be an emotional dimension missing.

I've always had a problem with southerners with no connection to Liverpool following us. The can give whatever reason but the basic fact is it's cos we're good and we win things and i wonder how many would keep supporting us when that ceased to be the case. If i was from down there i know i'd support my local team. It's different for Irish etc cos their leagues are almost amatuer standard.

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with that but it's how i feel. There's nothing worse than hearing someone shout 'Come own Liverpawl' in a big southern accent. Well, maybe the 4 cockney lad in front of me shouting 'Fack off Chewlsea' the other week. That really was cringe worthy.

Tough, doo-doo's, cos this southerner gets upto Annie 15+ times a year, and I ain't gonna support my local team, cos it's either Luton or Stevenage.

Would you Adam and Eve it.;)

If i was from down there i know i'd support my local team. It's different for Irish etc cos their leagues are almost amatuer standard.

QUOTE]

there's no difference surely?

Course there is most of the Irish league is semi-pro and amatuer. If you're gonna watch footy you'd want it be at least professional standard, you could go and watch local semi pro teams round here if you weren't arsed. My point is down south there are loads of teams people from down south could support but they pick us, a team they have no connection to, cos we're good.

The mancs attracted a mass of new support following the Munich disaster - people who followed them through pity and fame, and wouldn't normally have taken any kind of interest in football. They led the way in yuppie fans and engineered a media campaign to capitalise on their day in the sun which was second to none in impact, it managed to convince the world it was the world's 'biggest club' even while it was floundering in the old second division.

I've said it before, but that club is an inverted Keyse Soze. It's convinced the world it's a tradition-based footballing beacon, when it actual fact, it is just a gimp, which only recently managed to surpass the European record of Nottingham Forrest thanks to the penalty spot ineptitude of a certified mong.

LFC, on the other hand, formed its 'brand' and attracted its worldwide fanbase purely with the quality of our football - and managed this IN SPITE of our marketing department and not because of it. We are a football club - they are - and always have been - a brand no different from Coca Cola, a club which removed the words football club from its crest purely so it'd fit better on cups and pens.

They symbolise all that is wrong with the game - we symbolise all that is right.

Course there is most of the Irish league is semi-pro and amatuer. If you're gonna watch footy you'd want it be at least professional standard, you could go and watch local semi pro teams round here if you weren't arsed. My point is down south there are loads of teams people from down south could support but they pick us, a team they have no connection to, cos we're good.

I hear that but they could have picked Stevenage or Yeovil or Millwall but for the same reason as southerners they picked the top team of the time and chose to support them

fairs fair, im an OOT so im not having a go

I was born in Mill Road hospital in Everton (in Liverpool for all you plebs).

I now live in North Wales.

What am I?

PS. Don't say cool and handsome, cos I'm sick of that.

I was born in Mill Road. I now live in Knowsley, but follow Liverpool home and away.

Score.

The mancs attracted a mass of new support following the Munich disaster - people who followed them through pity and fame, and wouldn't normally have taken any kind of interest in football. They led the way in yuppie fans and engineered a media campaign to capitalise on their day in the sun which was second to none in impact, it managed to convince the world it was the world's 'biggest club' even while it was floundering in the old second division.

I've said it before, but that club is an inverted Keyse Soze. It's convinced the world it's a tradition-based footballing beacon, when it actual fact, it is just a gimp, which only recently managed to surpass the European record of Nottingham Forrest thanks to the penalty spot ineptitude of a certified mong.

LFC, on the other hand, formed its 'brand' and attracted its worldwide fanbase purely with the quality of our football - and managed this IN SPITE of our marketing department and not because of it. We are a football club - they are - and always have been - a brand no different from Coca Cola, a club which removed the words football club from its crest purely so it'd fit better on cups and pens.

They symbolise all that is wrong with the game - we symbolise all that is right.

The Asians that follow us are purely because we were the most succesful team in the world at the time and because we were regularly on TV. The Asian influx in Britains population in the 70's and 80's also had something to do with it too.

I hear that but they could have picked Stevenage or Yeovil or Millwall but for the same reason as southerners they picked the top team of the time and chose to support them

fairs fair, im an OOT so im not having a go

It doesn't actually bother me people that much but the whole 'Livepawl!' thing does make me cringe! I've got to say i'm a bit biased on the whole Irish thing but Liverpool have had connections to Ireland for years. In fact, even if you got the most anti-English places over there they're sound with you once they know you're scouse. The Irish have easily the most in common with scousers of any other group of people.

This topic has just reminded me off one of the few amusing things i saw on Soccer AM when Ray Winstone got onto that camp lad who presents it being from Cambridge but supporting the mancs. He absolutely ruined him.

Haha, I know a lad who lives in Ashton who was slagging Wigan off for not selling their full allocation for Old Trafford, according to him they have shit fans. It was lost on him that he lives 2 miles from Wigan and supports Manchester United

I lived in Ashton(-in-Makerfield) for 23 years and always supported Liverpool. No-one supported Wigan when i was a kid cos they won fuck all. I don't like it, but unless your family support the local side then there's no appeal in doing the same when you're a little kid. Although, conversely, my dad supports the shite!

... I can't imagine how it feels if you just started supporting the club because they won a cup when you were eight or you liked the colour of the kit. There must be an emotional dimension missing.

Yep, i've always thought that. I reckon i probably only started supporting Liverpool ( when i was 7 or 8, 1987-88 ) because they were always winning and more prominent in the media. And i'm sure our victories would mean even more to me if i was a scouser and me and my family had always lived in Liverpool. I do feel less a part of the club because of it, which sucks, even though i know i'll support Liverpool forever.

Someone hold me while i weep. :(

Yep, i've always thought that. I reckon i probably only started supporting Liverpool ( when i was 7 or 8, 1987-88 ) because they were always winning and more prominent in the media. And i'm sure our victories would mean even more to me if i was a scouser and me and my family had always lived in Liverpool. I do feel less a part of the club because of it, which sucks, even though i know i'll support Liverpool forever.

Someone hold me while i weep. :(

You're the start of a great tradition! It's like Roots. Someone holds a baby with a Gerrard bib on and chants at the sky. Centuries of frustration and anger, along with some bursts of joy, follow.:)

I was born in Mill Road. I now live in Knowsley, but follow Liverpool home and away.

Score.

I was born in Oxford Street Hospital, I grew up in Childwall and I now live in Huyton.

I was born in the same Hospital as John Lennon and could of been on the same ward as he was.

Shoots... Scores... Collects Trophy.