You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rush vs Lineker

Top of the Kop

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always remember reading Ray Houghton's Liverpool Notebook Diary for the season 1988-89 and for the 89 Grand National the players all went down to the racetrack and Barnes had lost a few quid on the horses and offered Hansen a wager that he would beat him over 100 yards in a race and Hansen even gave Barnes a 10 yard start as well. Hansen had been out with that awful knee injury ALL season and hadn't kicked a ball to that point. Ironically his first game of the season was going to be the week after at Hillsborough but anyway the race happened and Hansen beat Barnes by 10 yards in the race despite giving Barnes that 10 yard start. Barnes wasn't exactly a slouch so I guess that goes to show how quick Hansen was. Even at 34-35 years old.

Lets see, Rush scored over 100 more goals than Lineker despite over a quarter of Linekers goals been penalties, Rush did'nt take penalties if he did he'd have double the goals Lineker did.Rushie every time,shame on whoevers idea it was to debate this.

He took a handful but missed a few, didn't like taking them anyway and relinquished the job.

I was lucky enough to see Rush at his peak, and I wouldn't hesitate to rate him above Lineker both as a footballer and goal scorer. Once he got over his shaky start for us he was devastating - hard-working, quick-thinking and a superb finisher (I've never seen another player pass the ball so clinically into the net). He also had all the technique needed to score 'perfect' hattricks, he had two good feet and was generally effective at heading, and, as has been said, his movement and work rate outside of the penalty area was pretty much faultless. Lineker was a much more limited striker, but, in his own way and on his day, a brilliant match winner. He attacked space in the box - he did that incredibly cleverly and ruthlessly. He was lazy - he wasn't a link-up player, he didn't really play ones and twos, he didn't even try to defend from the front and, if he didn't much care about a run-of-the-mill match he'd sleepwalk through it, but he got decisive goals. Two England memories stick in my mind - one in the 1990 world cup against Cameroon, when he fought, cheated and showed some guts to win the game, and then when he could have beaten Bobby Charlton's record (was it against Russia at Wembley?) but was so smug and unprofessional he blew it. The thing is, while I knew they were both good, I never ever wanted Lineker at the club. Perhaps the best way I could distinguish between them is to say Rush looked like the ultimate 'Liverpool' striker, whereas Lineker looked like the opposite.

Lets see, Rush scored over 100 more goals than Lineker despite over a quarter of Linekers goals been penalties, Rush did'nt take penalties if he did he'd have double the goals Lineker did.Rushie every time,shame on whoevers idea it was to debate this.

Well Lineker has a slightly better goal average than Rush but like you say he also took Penalties.

In terms of goalscoring Rush wasn't the same player when he returned from Italy. I'd say as a pure goalscorer Lineker was better, but Rush was the better overall player.

Robbie Fowler at his peak was better than both of them at their peak, in terms of goalscoring and all round play.

Agree with that. Don't know about the Italy thing, before my time.

Lineker was my favourite none-LFC player when I was a kid, he was a brilliant professional on top of being a great player.

Agree with that. Don't know about the Italy thing, before my time.

Lineker was my favourite none-LFC player when I was a kid, he was a brilliant professional on top of being a great player.

And never booked, an amazing record for somebody playing in modern times when you get booked for almost anything.

In the late-ish 80's ITV (I think) had a short lived program where a panel of journalists, retired sportsmen, etc. would discuss 2 current sportsmen and then vote on who they thought was better. One of the first ones was Rush v Lineker.

I think Rushie won by 9:1 or something like that, and the whole idea was that "knowledgable" unbiased people would be on the panel. I remember being surprised as it wasn't long after Lineker's brilliant season for Everton but was already at Barca. So, even at the time, the consensus seemed to be that was Rush was better.

Rush played on too long but Linekar retired too early. I doubt Linekar would have played right mid for Leeds. Rush was not English that's his problem

That is certainly true - had he played for Ing-ur-land innit, we'd hear from everyone whoever was even now that he was the greatest player since Mobby Bore - even more so if he hadn't played for us but say...a London club, or one not too far up the Lancs...

Lineker on the other hand was very good - but physically a chicken who wouldn't head the ball if he could avoid it and gave the impression that tackling would cost extra. Had he been Welsh, Scottish or Irish a lot less fuss would be made about him.

I used to find it laughable when Lineker used to shake his head in a schoolmasterly manner on MOTD when Klinsmann was shown diving, because Lineker used to try every trick in the book to get penalties. Maybe he was offended by the lack of subtlety. It was quite an achievement not to get booked, but then again, he always avoided any defender who looked like they might clatter him, and he was placid enough to make Tim Henman seem volatile.