You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players we have sold who have done well.

grazywalker

His attitude was fine when he was here.

Hasn't Houllier admitted recently that not signing him was a mistake, and he allowed his personal feelings towards Anelka's brothers to influence his decision? Someone told me that the other day, I can't remember where he said it though.

Yes, I think he said it on some new DVD about Anelka. It irritated me a bit as, at the time, Houllier said something like, 'As for why I didn't sign Anelka...well, he knows why...' and sort of winked as if to hint at some strange personality trait or dodgy incident. This pretty prosaic answer makes that seem even more like one of Ged's face-saving factoids.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His attitude was fine when he was here.

Hasn't Houllier admitted recently that not signing him was a mistake, and he allowed his personal feelings towards Anelka's brothers to influence his decision? Someone told me that the other day, I can't remember where he said it though.

Yeah, apparently his brothers were shopping him around trying to setup deals elsewhere. Houiller got pissed and told them to do one. It's weird that after all this time both Thompson and Houiller have mentioned it in the last month or so.

Anelka's still banging a fair few in, but rumour control suggests he had to go because of his attitude at the time.

Beardsley on the other hand was a regretful loss, and again rumour control suggests there were domestic issues ijvolving other players that led to him leaving Liverpool - if true, then the club could have prevented his loss. But what do I know?

Its a crock of shit.

Matt Busby. You could argue that leaving Liverpool was a step towards him becoming a successful manager with Man Yooo.

Jimmy Case - The only player Sir Bob thought"we may have let go too early" and he made us pay twice knocking us out the cup - can't think of any others Bob let go who prospered.

Going even further back - Fat John Morrisey whose sale caused ructions between Bill Shankly and the board and allegedly led to one of his many "resignations"

I'm sure i've read Gerrard say his attitude was spot on whilst he was here too. A real balls up that one. So too was Rafa's decision to go for Morientes over Anelka at the time.

I didn't think Anelka was in the frame when we signed Morientes. I thought that Morientes was second choice to Berbatov, but then we drew Leverkusen in the CL and they were (understandably) reluctant to sell to us.

Beardsley on the other hand was a regretful loss, and again rumour control suggests there were domestic issues ijvolving other players that led to him leaving Liverpool - if true, then the club could have prevented his loss. But what do I know?

How well known / reliable is that? I never could and never will understand why he was sold for such a pitiful amount (even in those days). I only remember Souness cryptically referring to established players not showing enough desire to win, or something like that. I took that to mean maybe Beardsley wasn't up for the overly physical training sessions that were imposed at the time.

Friedel and James are exactly the same players as they were when they were here. Neither is nor or ever was remotely near good enough for us, they're both still making the howlers they made while we had them, but they're not publicised as much. The standard is WAY lower at the clubs they're with so they can get away with concdeding 2 or 3 and not get slaughtered.

Friedel and James are exactly the same players as they were when they were here. Neither is nor or ever was remotely near good enough for us, they're both still making the howlers they made while we had them, but they're not publicised as much. The standard is WAY lower at the clubs they're with so they can get away with concdeding 2 or 3 and not get slaughtered.

I agree niether were good enough to be Liverpool goalkeepers in the long term. But both have certainly improved overtime as individual players owing to maturity and moving out of the spotlight. James still makes the same mistakes/howlers as he did previously; although it's slightly less frequent now. Freidal has improved due to playing games and maturing as a goalkeeper. They've both done well since leaving us.

How well known / reliable is that? I never could and never will understand why he was sold for such a pitiful amount (even in those days). I only remember Souness cryptically referring to established players not showing enough desire to win, or something like that. I took that to mean maybe Beardsley wasn't up for the overly physical training sessions that were imposed at the time.

I saw an interview with Souness some years ago where he talked about some of the players he sold (who he admitted he shouldn't have done). Whe he 1st came in he knew there were a lot of players who'd gone stale and didn't fancy being involved in the rebuilding of the side, so he spoke to each of them indivdually and asked "do you want to play for liverpool". Apparently, if there wasn't an instant response of yes, Souness was working to ship them out right away. He said he couldn't understand why anyone would not be 100% committed for Liverpool, as a player he knew when he'd had his day at Liverpool and needed to move on and did, but before that was 110% and couldn't understand anyone not being the same. He said with hindsight, with some of the more senior players he should have worked with to convince them their future was with LFC. While Souness was a poor manager for us, I understand his reaction to this - although it's probably a reflection of why he was a poor manager.

I agree niether were good enough to be Liverpool goalkeepers in the long term. But both have certainly improved overtime as individual players owing to maturity and moving out of the spotlight. James still makes the same mistakes/howlers as he did previously; although it's slightly less frequent now. Freidal has improved due to playing games and maturing as a goalkeeper. They've both done well since leaving us.

That's because his decision making is poor when under extreme pressure. PLaying for shite like Pompey means he doesn't play under such intense pressure quite so often. He makes just as many blunders for England as he ever did with us, because the pressure is greater.

I saw an interview with Souness some years ago where he talked about some of the players he sold (who he admitted he shouldn't have done). Whe he 1st came in he knew there were a lot of players who'd gone stale and didn't fancy being involved in the rebuilding of the side, so he spoke to each of them indivdually and asked "do you want to play for liverpool". Apparently, if there wasn't an instant response of yes, Souness was working to ship them out right away. He said he couldn't understand why anyone would not be 100% committed for Liverpool, as a player he knew when he'd had his day at Liverpool and needed to move on and did, but before that was 110% and couldn't understand anyone not being the same. He said with hindsight, with some of the more senior players he should have worked with to convince them their future was with LFC. While Souness was a poor manager for us, I understand his reaction to this - although it's probably a reflection of why he was a poor manager.

I think a lot of the issue with Souness was that he had spent time in a foreign football culture

Because of the ban English football had fallen behind in certain habits.

The old Lfc way of going out on the piss no longer worked.

Firstly as Carra points out in his book because competitors were starting to clean up their act (ie/ Fergie getting rid of McGrath)

Secondly because FIFA was quickening the game up, most obviously thru the back pass rule which made it more athletic.

Souness was shocked at the Old Guard

The Old Guard "showed their medals" & also remembered that Souness had got stuck in himself (what was the story of his hotel bar bill when he was being put up by the club when he 1st signed?)

Souness was ultimately right but you are correct that it is a sign of his lack of managerial skills that he couldn't motivate his players to believe in the idea.