You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Mersey Beat Down - Echo Arena 28th March 2009

Kev Saunderson

Anyone else going to this? I'm really looking forward to it. It has a great fight card.

--

On March 28 at the magnificent Echo Arena, Hayemaker Boxing begin a thriving association with the city of Liverpool as they present an evening of championship boxing in the 2008 Capital of Culture.

Headlining HAYEMAKER 6: ‘The Mersey Beatdown’ will be the hard-to-call British super-middleweight title showdown between current champion Brian Magee and former champion Tony Dodson.

Southpaw Magee, 32-3 (22 KO) and a former European title challenger, won the prestigious Lonsdale belt last time out against Stevie McGuire. Looking as good as ever, Magee chopped McGuire down with body shots inside eight rounds to lift the crown.

Watching on with mixed emotions was Liverpool hero Dodson. An ex-British champion who had to vacate the title because of injury, Dodson has always craved the chance to win back his old belt.

Co-main event features the flamboyant pairing of Ryan Rhodes and Anthony Small in an intriguing British light-middleweight title clash.

Champion Rhodes, 41-4 (27 KO), is currently enjoying the form of his career, thanks to a massive 2008 that saw him scoop British and WBC International title honours. Looking better than ever before, Sheffield hero Rhodes is only one or two bouts away from a shot at world title glory.

Similarly ambitious is Deptford’s Small, 21-1 (15 KO) and one of the most interesting characters on the British circuit. Nicknamed ‘Sugar Ray Clay Jones Junior’, Small has the gimmick and the physical tools to grab the attention of fans and opponents alike.

As well as being a night for pivotal championship deciders, HAYEMAKER 6 also marks the eagerly awaited professional debut of Liverpool’s Olympic hero David Price.

Heavyweight Price won a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and is now being tipped to become Britain’s brightest heavyweight prospect in the pro ranks. A former three-time Senior ABA champion, Price is a 6’8 heavyweight of whom big things are expected.

A strong Merseyside flavour continues through the HAYEMAKER 6 undercard, which includes a vital contest in the promising career of local lad Tony Quigley. He challenges the awkward Paul David for his English title in a 10-rounder that could ultimately decide the next challenger for the prestigious British super-middleweight belt.

Another Merseyside favourite appearing on March 28 is super-featherweight Derry Mathews, a former WBU featherweight titleholder and one of the most exciting talents in Britain. Still only 25 years of age, Mathews looks to bounce back from a devastating knockout defeat to Martin Lindsay when he returns bigger and better as a super-featherweight at HAYEMAKER 6.

A British title eliminator and an all-Liverpool clash get the juices flowing in the form of John Watson’s lightweight clash with Martin Gethin and Joe McNally’s bout with Graham Delehedy.

Rounding up the rest of the HAYEMAKER 6 card will be outings for standout prospects George Groves and Michael Maguire, as well as the latest appearance from Curtis Woodhouse, the former pro footballer now lighting up the professional boxing scene.

All in all, HAYEMAKER 6: ‘The Mersey Beatdown’ is a domestic fight card not to be missed. On March 28 at the Echo Arena, Liverpool, Hayemaker Boxing will turn the 2008 Capital of Culture into the 2009 Capital of Boxing.

Line up subject to change.

Looks a cracking bill Kev. I believe tickets are £28 upwards according to the Echo tonight.

I am going to get the lads from work to go and make a night of it.

Ticket Prices: £125.00, £75.00, £48.00, £28.00 + booking / handling fee - Credit Crunch Offer: 4 £75 tickets for £225 (only pay for 3 tickets) Subject to booking / handling fee

Ticket Prices: £125.00, £75.00, £48.00, £28.00 + booking / handling fee - Credit Crunch Offer: 4 £75 tickets for £225 (only pay for 3 tickets) Subject to booking / handling fee

If I was unscrupulous I would get the other 3 lads to order £75 tickets , collect the moolah & get mine for nowt.

Lucky I wouldn't do that , honest.