You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia / New Zealand

Hooch

Well I'm certain I'm fucking off this summer. I have a vague plan, I've worked my money out, I've even got a a couple of trips bookmarked.

It's going to be one of the above. So I have a few questions for the GF if anyone can help.

Just how cold does Sydney get in July etc. which is their winter?

Is it a good place to go?

What about New Zealand? This is a slightly cheaper option but I have no idea just how different it would be to Australia? This is going to sound very ignorant but English is spoken by most there, no?

Also any other advice on doing this from people who have been there and done it would be appreciated. Cheers!

I went to NZ in June & July of 2007. It's ace. Anything specific you want to know just ask.

It's full of extremes from top to bottom, the north can be pretty mild and Auckland in the far north (which as cities go by the way is absolutely shit, has nothing about it at all, but NZ isn't a place to go if you like cities anyway) can be quite tropical and humid but not more than 15-20c. Whilst in the far south and mountain areas, some snow and freezing temperatures can be expected. But it never gets truly cold. The only really bad thing about going in winter is that the days are shorter and it'll be dark by 5pm.

Sydney is great. Winter there is like a warm spring day in the UK. Make sure you see the Blue Mountains.

NZ. Much prettier than Oz. We spent Christmas in Christchurch. THe nicest city I have ever been to. Also in the Canterbury region there is so much stunning scenery. Make sure you visit Arthurs Pass, Kaikoura, and the great volcanic lakes etc. Oh and the views of Lyttleton from the cable car ride up the mountain are stunning.

i have a cousin in new zealand(christchurch) his daughter knocked on my door last october out of the blue.she was studying at cardiff university.hoping to visit them sometime soon if i can get the money together.work with fellers who went to sea and if you ask them the best/nicest place they have been new zealand comes high on the list of replies.

Guest The Chimp

It all depends what you're after Hooch. That's winter down here and so if you want some warmth - I wouldn't be going to NZ in all honesty. Sydney is OK that time, but the more North you go the warmer it will get. If I was coming over (and I'm a Scouser by the way), I'd have a look at Darwin, Kakadu and the Red Centre. From thereon in it probably depends what you're after. If its beaches - Broome over in WA or Cairns/Daintree/Whitsundays in Qld. Sydney Harbour is great. My brother was just over and we went up the Bridge and met Jocky Hansen there with his wife and daughter. Melbourne is simply a fantastic city but it'll be a bit nippy. Feel free to PM me, and if I can help with anything I will. For now though - here's a little video of Oz for you to see where you might fancy.

Sydney is ace but very touristy, head north to the territory at that time of year. Reasonably warm and unlike anywhere you'll ever go.

Then you can drive down from Darwin to Adelaide, then over to Melbourne and back to Sydney. Depends what youre after, plenty of aussies on these boards that can help.

Just dont drink VB when you get here

Also Lara Bingle wanted to know where you are

[YOUTUBE]GZg1PcCTZyM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks lads. Couple of PM's coming your ways.

The reason I'm thinking sydney is only because of a website I found which offers extra help on my trip if I were to start there. Heres the link: Australia Work Down Under - Find paid work in Australia

These put you up in a hostel for 7 days paid for and help you find work. Or am I just better off doing it myself?

Guest The Chimp

What work you after Hooch? Always happy to help out a fellow monkey-man.

Also, Nath how are you going!? Cheap flights from Adelaide to the GC with Tiger. Offer still there for you and the Mrs if you fancy mate.

Edit: You're spot on about the VB there.

What work you after Hooch? Always happy to help out a fellow monkey-man.

Also, Nath how are you going!? Cheap flights from Adelaide to the GC with Tiger. Offer still there for you and the Mrs if you fancy mate.

Edit: You're spot on about the VB there.

Cheers for the offer

I flew from Adelaide to Melbourne with them recently.... the flight there was delayed 3 hours the flight back was delayed 4, useless twunts.

Have started a new job, so when im heading to GC will let you know trust me.

Still enjoying it then?

Seriously VB is cat piss as is XXXX

Guest The Chimp

Yeah it's all good cheers, although going over to WA in July to see what that's like, and thinking maybe even of Cairns. Nothing wrong with this place, just that I get itchy feet after a while - my poor Mrs puts up with a lot.

While Sydney in winter is a lot more temperate than here (obviously) I wouldn't entirely go with the comparisons with our spring/summer.

It does get nippy in winter, and the weather is much more variable. As someone else said, you're better going a bit further north if you want to be able to rely on the weather at that time of year.

Spring/Autumn are the best seasons in the south of the country IMO. They really are like a good English summer. Mid-high 20's most of the time, so warm enough to enjoy it without getting to the point where its too hot to do anything but sit near air-con.

depends on what you want to do. If you've got a trade you can't fall off for work, there's loads.

we put an add in the local rag. labouring, painting, decorating, gardening etc. all work considered and a mobile number. we were knocking work back we had that many calls. that website looks a bit of a scam really. If you get of yer arse and look for work you'll find it.

good luck. Aus is great. Plus if you work the winter out there then you'll have some cash to have a break in the summer.

Well I'm certain I'm fucking off this summer. I have a vague plan, I've worked my money out, I've even got a a couple of trips bookmarked.

It's going to be one of the above. So I have a few questions for the GF if anyone can help.

Just how cold does Sydney get in July etc. which is their winter?

Is it a good place to go?

What about New Zealand? This is a slightly cheaper option but I have no idea just how different it would be to Australia? This is going to sound very ignorant but English is spoken by most there, no?

Also any other advice on doing this from people who have been there and done it would be appreciated. Cheers!

I think most people in Australia and New Zealand speak English...

:lol:

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...