You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Player Managers

diamondjoe

I was listening to some chelsea fan slabbering on about England's brave John Terry taking over as manager when they gave Big Phil the bullet. Is a player manager even feasible in the modern premiership given the demands of the league, champions league etc? or is it a recipe for one big cock up?

I hope they sack Hiddink and make mongo a player/manager. He will have to cry twice after every loss.

To answer your question, if the player is important to the club and is expected to play week in week out, it will be one massive cock up.

Can probably be done at a lower level if you have a decent older manager / director of football type sounding board ( I think Ince used Ray Matthias ) but at the top level I don't think it's feasible any more with the pressure of money and fans.

If a guy like Scolari can't get more than 7 months what chance would a novice like Terry have ?

One of the young managers who I really rate , Roberto Martinez , wouldn't take the job as a player-manager at Swansea and said he would insist on managing only when the job was offered. I think he was correct.

I was listening to some chelsea fan slabbering on about England's brave John Terry taking over as manager when they gave Big Phil the bullet. Is a player manager even feasible in the modern premiership given the demands of the league, champions league etc? or is it a recipe for one big cock up?

I don't think the "demand" are any more or less than they have ever been. Just because football is "modern" it doesn't make it any more or less demanding and pressured than it was back in the day. In fact back in the the day, the footbal was "modern".

There's no difference whatsoever in managing today than there's ever been. Do you think Alex Ferguson has a different approach to management than he did when he started out 30 years ago? I doubt it very much. The game hasn't changed and neither have the pressures. It's only media coverage and sensationalism that has changed. Deep down the game is exactly the same as it's always been.

Part of the "re-branding" of football, with the dawn of "the Premiership", was to paint it as an almost a completely different game. Well guess what, it isn't! A Snickers is still a fucking Marathon, and just cos you remove a few teams from the first division, it doesn't make it "The Premiership", it's still just the top division of football.

Anyway, I'm ranting about something totally off topic because that "pressures of the modern game" really annoys me, like the game is any different.

Back to the post title - there's only ever been one player manager I can think of that had any success - Kenny Dalglish - and he was dropped in at the helm of an unbelievably well-run, organised, united and already highly successfully team and club.

I'm not taking anything away from Kenny there, what he did was unparallelled and frankly staggering, but the environment around the manager has to be almost perfect and it was for kenny.

Since teh days of Shankly the club had been run in the same way, with the same aims, with the same principles. It was sewn in to teh very fabric of the club and all the next manager did was hold the reins and get the team playing. When people talk about "The Bootroom" or "The Liverpool Way", this is what I think of. One message, one aim; Win trophies.

That certainly isn't there at our club right now, and it's certainly not there at Chelsea.

What Kenny did was fucking incredible.I was trying to put in to context for my bird just last week actually - I related it to say, Sami Hyypia being told after we'd won in Istanbul that he was now the manager. Not only would he have taken the job, but he'd then lead us to the double!! And he'd score the goal that gave us the league title at Stamford Bridge at the end of the season!!

It was pure Roy of The Rovers stuff and it'll never happen again, because no club anywhere in the world, has the set up to support it, like we did back then.

So no, it couldn't work anywhere now. But then it couldn't have worked anywhere else but at Liverpool back then either.

I don't think the "demand" are any more or less than they have ever been. Just because football is "modern" it doesn't make it any more or less demanding and pressured than it was back in the day. In fact back in the the day, the footbal was "modern".

There's no difference whatsoever in managing today than there's ever been. Do you think Alex Ferguson has a different approach to management than he did when he started out 30 years ago? I doubt it very much. The game hasn't changed and neither have the pressures. It's only media coverage and sensationalism that has changed. Deep down the game is exactly the same as it's always been.

Part of the "re-branding" of football, with the dawn of "the Premiership", was to paint it as an almost a completely different game. Well guess what, it isn't! A Snickers is still a fucking Marathon, and just cos you remove a few teams from the first division, it doesn't make it "The Premiership", it's still just the top division of football.

Anyway, I'm ranting about something totally off topic because that "pressures of the modern game" really annoys me, like the game is any different.

Back to the post title - there's only ever been one player manager I can think of that had any success - Kenny Dalglish - and he was dropped in at the helm of an unbelievably well-run, organised, united and already highly successfully team and club.

I'm not taking anything away from Kenny there, what he did was unparallelled and frankly staggering, but the environment around the manager has to be almost perfect and it was for kenny.

Since teh days of Shankly the club had been run in the same way, with the same aims, with the same principles. It was sewn in to teh very fabric of the club and all the next manager did was hold the reins and get the team playing. When people talk about "The Bootroom" or "The Liverpool Way", this is what I think of. One message, one aim; Win trophies.

That certainly isn't there at our club right now, and it's certainly not there at Chelsea.

What Kenny did was fucking incredible.I was trying to put in to context for my bird just last week actually - I related it to say, Sami Hyypia being told after we'd won in Istanbul that he was now the manager. Not only would he have taken the job, but he'd then lead us to the double!! And he'd score the goal that gave us the league title at Stamford Bridge at the end of the season!!

It was pure Roy of The Rovers stuff and it'll never happen again, because no club anywhere in the world, has the set up to support it, like we did back then.

So no, it couldn't work anywhere now. But then it couldn't have worked anywhere else but at Liverpool back then either.

Repped.