You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Supporting another team for family reasons

JohnnyH

Just thinking about Carraghers career and how his dad has followed him home and away when possible and cheered on our wins and triumphs despite been a Blueshite fan. My question is, do you think that if you had a kid and he went on to be one of the best and Captained Man Utd in the European Cup Final that you could completely, unequivocally, cheer Man Utd on to glory? Could you cheer them on AGAINST Liverpool? Could you celebrate them winning the league as it meant your boy would win it?

I could probably support him against anybody other than us , but blood would not be thicker than water if it was against LFC.

On a side note I read about one of the England RU players saying that his bird is Welsh & she has told him in no uncertain terms that she wants him to get battered on Saturday

Interesting question. I've never actually been able to support another team even though - probably like most of you - I've tried to 'adopt' certain sides when watching Spanish or Italian footy. I used to 'support' Juventus when Zidane was playing for them purely because I was a fan of him, so it would probably be the same sort of setup if it was my kid.

I'd want my son to do well and want him to win a medal, but if he wasn't playing I'd probably turn it over and watch land of the giants instead (I'm still in Gazetta mode here).

If I had the misfortune of (1) having a son who (2) was a professional footballer for (3) Manchester United, I'd spend most of my time wailing "woe is me". But ultimately if it was a case of my son vs my football club, there could only be one winner. Course, I'd be giving him strong words of career advice, presumably it would be his mother's bad genes that would make him make such an appalling life decision.

I think you change as you support your son in the footballing career from a young age, and the only thing you wan't is for him to succeed.

The question you should ask yourself is if Gerrards og Carraghers father would be a Chelsea or Manchester Utd fan if they changed clubs now.

I honestly don't see how any could stop supporting a club if they loved it so much. This isn't trying to brand me or anyone a super fan or anyone any less of a fan, but I don't think I could ever stop supporting Liverpool. No matter what. I mean, I'm pretty disillusioned at the state of affairs of our club at the minute, but LFC is my life, and it always will be. Nothing could change that.

I could probably start to support another team, but never as much as Liverpool. I mean, I support Juventus because like Liverpool, I've watched them since I was a kid, but as much as I like watching Juve, they, or any other team, could ever come close to what I feel for LFC.

Thought so. I thought the first post was saying he's a Blue but follows us home and away just to see Carra play.

No, I shoud have put the past tense bit clearer. What I mean is that given that Carras dad is now a red, could you change your suport to Man Utd as a result of your child playing for them for 10 years and becoming a hero to their fans.

I honestly don't see how any could stop supporting a club if they loved it so much. This isn't trying to brand me or anyone a super fan or anyone any less of a fan, but I don't think I could ever stop supporting Liverpool. No matter what. I mean, I'm pretty disillusioned at the state of affairs of our club at the minute, but LFC is my life, and it always will be. Nothing could change that.

I could probably start to support another team, but never as much as Liverpool. I mean, I support Juventus because like Liverpool, I've watched them since I was a kid, but as much as I like watching Juve, they, or any other team, could ever come close to what I feel for LFC.

I agree. But could it be that if you are all of a sudden dealing with a different club day in day out and wanting them to win all the time that the change to loving a different club just happens and you don't even otice it? Maybe like falling out of love with another women as a result of a new one?

Spot on. I could never change, I would want them to do well but i wouldnt get the buzz out of it as i do watching Liverpool.\

Also the thing about it is. The first thing i think about is Liverpool. During the day my daydreams, my thoughts everything is Liverpool and It's the last thing at night i think of before i go to bed.

I agree. But could it be that if you are all of a sudden dealing with a different club day in day out and wanting them to win all the time that the change to loving a different club just happens and you don't even otice it? Maybe like falling out of love with another women as a result of a new one?

I dunno, I guess that's the million dollar question. I mean it's easy to start to support another club, but I just couldn't imagine myself to ever stop supporting Liverpool.

No, I shoud have put the past tense bit clearer. What I mean is that given that Carras dad is now a red, could you change your suport to Man Utd as a result of your child playing for them for 10 years and becoming a hero to their fans.

No.

I'd also try to persuade him to leave.

I remember reading an interview from a few years ago with Raul and he said that when he was a kid, he was a big Atletico Madrid fan, and that his dad and his brother still are. The interviewer asked him what his dad and brother do then when Real play Atletico and Raul said that they want him to score a hat-trick, but for Atletico to win 4-3.

If the situation came about, I'd imagine I'd feel the same way.

Also the thing about it is. The first thing i think about is Liverpool. During the day my daydreams, my thoughts everything is Liverpool and It's the last thing at night i think of before i go to bed.

Save up and buy yourself a decent blowjob. You'll soon change your tune.

I've often wondered this about Carra's Dad. You are not telling me he still doesn't care about Everton after all those years following them home and away. I know JC doesn't give a shit but his Dad, nah not having that.

You've obviously never met him or seen him at the match.