You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England

Bob

I know the feeling of many on here regarding our national team. Many support it passionately but the vast majority (myself included) couldnt generally give a rats ass, and then there are those that want it to fail at every chance, but this thread is not about that.

My question is, does it cause you any feeling to see an england side with no representation from our club?

I know Gerrard would have played if he was not injured, but that is still but one. I had pretty much the same feeling towards the general successes of England at the start of the decade, however seeing so many Liverpool players in those squads and teams – think back to the demolition of Germany and the Mirror’s headline of Liverpool 5 - Germany 1 – couldn’t help but make me feel good about our team and in turn see the national side in a better light.

Would people prefer to see more English players in our side, and as a result more Liverpool players in an England shirt, or are people really not arsed in the slightest?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like internationals, but without a Liverpool presence my interest dips considerably, I'd like to have more English Players in the team

I'd love England to do well, but I find myself dispising at least half of the team.

I was cheering Spain on last night, as not only did they feature 4 of our players, but they played wonderful football - something I am not used to seeing at the moment I can tell you!

Many of my mates think I am crazy though, as when asked if I would rather have England win World Cup or Liverpool win the League or even League Cup - I always choose Liverpool

I like internationals, but without a Liverpool presence my interest dips considerably, I'd like to have more English Players in the team

I'd love England to do well, but I find myself dispising at least half of the team.

I was cheering Spain on last night, as not only did they feature 4 of our players, but they played wonderful football - something I am not used to seeing at the moment I can tell you!

Many of my mates think I am crazy though, as when asked if I would rather have England win World Cup or Liverpool win the League or even League Cup - I always choose Liverpool

I'd rather Liverpool scrape a last minute draw with West Brom than Ingurlund win the World Cup and The European Championships.

I don't just have apathy towards England. I genuinely hate England, like I hate Man U and Everton.

See them last night, dem supporters, in the stands, full of Arsenal and Barnsley supporters, arm in arm

"...And we all love clover, all over this land, they're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen"

One day in hundreds of years, a giant robot from the future will wipe out their existences from the space/time continum so they never existed but until then we'll just have to grin and bear it.

No question Liverpool are more important, but it is sad to see so many people despise the national side. Why? 'Cus our players risk injury or burn out? I get genuine pride from seeing our players strutt their stuff on the international stage, against the best the rest of the planet can put up.

And if UEFA get their way, before long we will need to employ the best of Englishment if we wanna remain a force in Europe. Martin O'Neill has been very clever.

The reason I'm not arsed about Ingurland is because of all the hype it gets and we just arent that good. Every game and competition, the media will say we going to win and everytime, we generally dont do anything in the competitions.

I'd have to agree with Scotty International football is dead, it is shit and boring. 8 shots on goal yesterday.

Also I hate the FA, ticket allocations for FA cups are shit.

The reason why I watched it last night was to make sure that our players didnt get injuryed and to see if any of the chavs and scum players did.

And then the main reason I'm not arsed about Ingurland is down to the fact I will not support players from the chavs, bitters and the scum. If Rooney scores I'm more upset then happy that we have scored.

if you don't have england internationals then your still going to have international player's who have just as much chance of getting injured. it's part and parcel of being a good side. every good club side has to contend with the threat of player's getting injured during international's. If you think not having any Liverpool player's playing for england is a good thing then you are deluded.

Last night i was actively supporting Spain without even thinking about it.

I realised this when they scored their first and i started cheering - weird.

If it had been a competitive game i'd have supported England, i think, but i am begining to despise them more and more. Terry and cuntish fans is a potent force of despicability

if you don't have england internationals then your still going to have international player's who have just as much chance of getting injured. it's part and parcel of being a good side. every good club side has to contend with the threat of player's getting injured during international's. If you think not having any Liverpool player's playing for england is a good thing then you are deluded.

Not true. It's often not the games themselevs taht cause the problems. It's the differing training methods, differing in intensity, speed, emphasis on different muscle groups etc.

See fernando Torres as a prime example of how a different training regime can seriously fuck you up when you're a top athlete.

But that's not why I hate Ingurlund. I hate them mostly because of the mentality of teh fans and because I simply can not and will not ever get behind shitbags like John Terry and Fwank Lumplard.

I'd rather saw of my own cock with a rusty spoon.

And give me one good reason why having our players play international football is a good thing. Just one.

The only one I can think of is that, if there's an international approaching, then they may just up their game for us. That's it. There are NO other benefits.

It robs them of rest. It means extensive travel. It means difernt training methods (going from zonal to man marking etc) which can disrupt upon return to club football. The standard of football is considerably lower than that in our own league, with the exception of one game every few years, where they're usuallly given a fucking lesson anyway and don't even compete. The injuries. The gobshite fans. The media pressure....

need I really go on??

Modern International football exists SOLELY to give people who support teams like Grimsby something to cheer about.

I support England but with with nowhere near the fervour that I follow the Reds.

Whilst obviously noting the unsavoury things ( fans / other teams players you dislike etc ) I would like to see England do well in European Championships / World Cup whether they have Liverpool players in the team or not.

On a broader point , are there any other countries that have large tracts of the population that hate the national team & revel in attacking it. ?

I can only see it as a mix of footballing tribalism & political / historical hate.

Not arsed about club connections really. Other than McManaman there weren't any prominent players in the Euro 96 team but I fucking loved that competition. My general apathy stems more from the fact modern footballers are arseholes. There are no seasoned pros deserving of my respect in that squad, in fact most of them probably aspire to be friends of Puff Daddy more than they do to be world cup winners.

I have more respect for Copello than the squad actually, I like him, and I like the fact the wags have been fucked off (although I think that was Mclaren)

Says it all really, the only two things I respect about the England setup are its foreign coach and the fact it's no longer a disgusting fashion sideshow.

I'd rather Liverpool scrape a last minute draw with West Brom than Ingurlund win the World Cup and The European Championships.

I don't just have apathy towards England. I genuinely hate England, like I hate Man U and Everton.

I feel the same.

England can suck on my fat one and I live by the age old adage of 'Were not English, we are Scouse'.