You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boycott Setanta.

ScottyT

Burley is too eager to sound 'authoritative' to keep up an agenda against anyone. So he contradicts himself about fifty times per match. He's got a laughable desire to sound like Andy Gray Mk2, even to the point of calling everyone 'son' like he's twenty years older then he actually is. He doesn't even have his own front teeth any more so he's not worth punching.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burley wasn't too bad, he just tries too hard to play the straight talking hero. He was goaded into it after the game by the other wankers, including Mcmananam.

The presenter on there is one greasy cunt. His first question after the game to Macca was "so do you think Benitez will be happy after that"

No, I imagine he'll be jumping off a bridge, you daft twat.

Burley wasn't too bad, he just tries too hard to play the straight talking hero. He was goaded into it after the game by the other wankers, including Mcmananam.

The presenter on there is one greasy cunt. His first question after the game to Macca was "so do you think Benitez will be happy after that"

No, I imagine he'll be jumping off a bridge, you daft twat.

Hard to say if the straight talking is put on for impact or not. think its just unusual to be so openly critical of players. he'd do well on RTE in Ireland

At the end, at least Burley gave us a bit of credit for coming back and winning the game, more so than Sherwood, who was seething. That comment about the fans and the manager knowing that this squad of players is in no way good enough to win the League was the worst of a woeful bunch. I thought Mcmanaman looked embarrassed at times by the prick next to him.

Setanta can fuck off. I've had enough.

One of Burley's mistakes - not unusual for relatively new pundits - is he comments too quickly, sees the replay, realises he's wrong but can't admit it, so says things like, 'Well...maybe there was a tiny bit of contact....but he made a meal of it'. Yesterday, for example, he moaned that Skrtel 'had no reason to complain' then saw on the replay he was being held by Nugent and just mumbled.

One of Burley's mistakes - not unusual for relatively new pundits - is he comments too quickly, sees the replay, realises he's wrong but can't admit it, so says things like, 'Well...maybe there was a tiny bit of contact....but he made a meal of it'. Yesterday, for example, he moaned that Skrtel 'had no reason to complain' then saw on the replay he was being held by Nugent and just mumbled.

True. on Hreidarsson's goal I think it took a deflection and gave Pepe an overly hard time even after the replays. still should have done better mind

What really annoyed me was there was no credit to either team for putting on a good spectacle, it all just revolved around sticking the knife straight into Benitez from the minute the match ended.

Yeah the 2nd half was entertaining. ironically some of our most entertaining games are when we go a goal down. the first half was dyer in fairness, was really getting annoyed at all the cheers coming from the next room from people watching the Irish egg chasers

why you surprised at Mcmannamans response dont forget he left Liverpool under a cloud, and last season on the first demonstration when everyone stayed on the kop didnt he say" I dont know what the fans are moaning about" he is an average player played good against lower sides and is a blue through and through!

why you surprised at Mcmannamans response dont forget he left Liverpool under a cloud, and last season on the first demonstration when everyone stayed on the kop didnt he say" I dont know what the fans are moaning about" he is an average player played good against lower sides and is a blue through and through!

Nah he was a top player, comes across as an arse though - always did. I actually get the impression he considers footy fans to be beneath him, and I reckon if you met him in the street he'd try and stuff your cat into a cash machine before opening fire at you - like Patrick Bateman.

In fact he is Patrick Bateman, Bateman with a fanny head. I can imagine Christian Bale saying everything McManaman says.

christian-bale04.jpg

"I've never said I wanted to leave Liverpool. I love this city, and I'll always keep my base here, along with my Valentino suits and Oliver Peoples glasses."

Nah he was a top player, comes across as an arse though - always did. I actually get the impression he considers footy fans to be beneath him, and I reckon if you met him in the street he'd try and stuff your cat into a cash machine before opening fire at you - like Patrick Bateman.

I met him a few times. His sister was married to a mate of mine. He was always sound.

christian-bale04.jpg

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."

That was what Gerrard said to the DJ in Southport, wasnt it?

Setanta is rubbish but there will always be pundits who hate us. Plenty of other teams get the treatment too. We do get praised aswell but people choose to ignore it. To be fair that is our first win on setanta, i think, (heard that somewhere!) so the pundits probably do think we are rubbish as i doubt they watch our other games.

I am sure if Sherwood was doing the newcastle game he would have praised us.

Even Gray praises us at times and his defining moment will be olympiakos which i find hilarious!

Setanta is rubbish but there will always be pundits who hate us. Plenty of other teams get the treatment too. We do get praised aswell but people choose to ignore it. To be fair that is our first win on setanta, i think, (heard that somewhere!) so the pundits probably do think we are rubbish as i doubt they watch our other games.

I am sure if Sherwood was doing the newcastle game he would have praised us.

Even Gray praises us at times and his defining moment will be olympiakos which i find hilarious!

I am sure he wouldn't have

In fact he is Patrick Bateman, Bateman with a fanny head. I can imagine Christian Bale saying everything McManaman says.

christian-bale04.jpg

"I've never said I wanted to leave Liverpool. I love this city, and I'll always keep my base here, along with my Valentino suits and Oliver Peoples glasses."

Top player ha ya avin a laugh , he only ever done it against the second division clubs for us, ipswich, bristols bolton VERY OVERATED

I remember watching Stephen Fry's programme in America and he was speaking to a professor of Theology at Harvard University. He commented that the American people didn't like complexity and only focused on simple solutions to big dilemmas, even when the complex answer is the right one.

I think to an extent, the same thing applies in this country and it certainly applies in this country.

Basically, the mass football coverage in this country is directed towards idiots. Everybody has the simple scapegoat- ie zonal marking, rotation etc- to be the focus of their coverage because it appeals to the mass markets of idiots watching. Nobody offers up detailed, well-thought out supportive arguemts in favour of zonal marking (or even detailed, well-thought out criticisms of zonal marking for that matter) because people would switch off. It's much easier to have the same old lazy criticisms like "space doesn't score goals" without much else added to it, because it's what the public wants.

It's the same thing in the media. If you ever have the misfortune to listen to Talkshite, there's no in-between in their debates, it's one extreme v another to get people to phone in to either vent their spleen or either support a ludicrous argument. There's not much thought involved, but it appeals to the masses.

When I went to Italy last year for our match against Inter, I brought home a couple of copies of Corriere Dello Sport as souvenirs and they had seven or eight pages dedicated to tactical discussion and analysis following our match and with interviews. In this country, most of the football coverage in the papers had an angle on it to create interest (so and so going back to old club, so and so trying to prove old manager wrong, mind games blah blah blah). Again, it's what the masses like, stuff that doesn't take a genius to write and is easy to understand, rather than intelligent praise or criticism.

This is probably the main reason why I don't really get involved in threads about Sky, Setanta, the tabloids etc because they have a mass demographic to satisfy. As Paul Weller said, "what the public wants is what the public gets" and it's certainly the case with football coverage in this country. I don't think it's worth getting worked up over anymore.

So true