You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dirk Kuyt

El Rojo

What a huge performance from the bench this evening.

Looked like the Dirk Kuyt of the first 10/12 games of the season during his cameo tonight - a period when he was easily in our top three players every match.

Will be a massive boost if he can push on from his huge contribution tonight.

The goal will do him the world too.

Player plays well when playing in his best position.

Has this ever happened before?

I still don't think he's good enough, but I've always felt that if he was allowed to be a striker who led the line and didn't have to do so much work in the wrong areas of the pitch then we'd get far more from him. He should be doing his work in the penalty area, not the right wing.

he is vital for our team, maybe he shouldnt start every game and we definitely need a pacy, tricky player on the right but for guts, fighting to the death and the ability to play in a few positions and score goals in big games he is not bad for 9 mil.

How do his stats compare to other wingers ths year?

I hold my hands up - I was one of the ones bitching when his number came up instead of Nando's. But then I suppose that is the curse of playing with the best striker in the world. No matter what you do, you're never going to be the golden boy.

Dirk was a monster tonight. I still think Rafa's decision-making leaves a lot to be desired, but a big thank you from me to the players for pulling him out of that hole.

He is what he's always been. A good and very important player.

How many more massive goals does he need to score before people give him a bit more respect? He's dragged us out the shit so many times. He's no world beater, but he deserves his place.

Lot's of people would rather hve Babel in the team right now. Amazing.

lets not get carried away good goal and should have had 2 as first goal was on side, he played well, but he is a squad player and a squad player only, his attitude is fantastic but his play is not, he has been average to crap all season, he is an ok footballer with limited ability

He has been playing on the right and has scored the same amount of league goals as some top strikers (6). Looking at the below he is doing alright. Plus that liege goal was vital!

1 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 14

2 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United 11

Robinho Manchester City 11

4 Amr Zaki Wigan Athletic 10

5 Kevin Davies Bolton Wanderers 9

Steven Gerrard Liverpool 9

Jermain Defoe Tottenham Hotspur 9

Darren Bent Tottenham Hotspur 9

Frank Lampard Chelsea 9

Djibril Cisse Sunderland 9

Robin Van Persie Arsenal 9

Gabriel Agbonlahor Aston Villa 9

13 Peter Crouch Portsmouth 8

Michael Owen Newcastle United 8

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal 8

Carlton Cole West Ham United 8

17 Benedict McCarthy Blackburn Rovers 7

Fernando Torres Liverpool 7

Stephen Ireland Manchester City 7

20 Ricardo Fuller Stoke City 6

Tim Cahill Everton 6

Jason Roberts Blackburn Rovers 6

Matthew Taylor Bolton Wanderers 6

Craig Bellamy Manchester City 6

Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United 6

Wayne Rooney Manchester United 6

Obafemi Martins Newcastle United 6

Kenwyne Jones Sunderland 6

Roman Bednar West Bromwich Albion 6

Marcio Geovanni Hull City 6

I hold my hands up - I was one of the ones bitching when his number came up instead of Nando's. But then I suppose that is the curse of playing with the best striker in the world. No matter what you do, you're never going to be the golden boy.

I think it's more a case of the curse of being played in each and every minute of every game (well, almost) by the manager, whether you're in form or not.

You can fault Kuyt for his lack of ball skills, but it's Rafa who picks him even though he's not playing up to par. After a while, folks' frustrations boil over to the extent that seeing him on the pitch induces helplessness and resignation from the non-believers.

I'll admit to being one of those fans who are puzzled/frustrated by Rafa's trust in Kuyt, but fair dues to the chap today, he played well and was crucial in us getting back into the game.

Maybe if he is allowed to play as as striker like he did in Holland, and not an energiser bunny, he'd be better? He had more zest about him tonight, and thats because he was playing upfront without having to worry about running round like a dickhead in defense and midfield.

That's not what you say when he plays upfront alone, is it?

That's not what you say when he plays upfront alone, is it?

He never plays upfront, he runs around like a kid from the soft school, wasting energy. He would never have done that finish today if he had been on from the start because his legs would be gone and he'd be running on fumes. Stop him running around in defense or midfield as an extra man, and he may impress me like in his first season.