You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Why I Back Lucas 100%

Lofts

Lucas isn't fantastic but he is certainly good enough to be the 4th place midfielder who basically gives the big boys a rest in minor games.

I think the hate aimed at him is exacerbated as he is seen as keeping the local lads

( particularly Jay Spearing ) out of the team. If this is the case surely the criticism should be aimed at rafa & the lad should be spared when out on the pitch in a red shirt.

I feel this is very unfair pressure to be put on a young lad plucked out of his environment & finding his feet at a massive club away from friends/family and seemingly asked to change his game as well.

He has made bad mistakes this year but so does every player . His 2 main mistakes have also come when he has been left in emergency situations when more experienced players have given the ball away badly & left us exposed.

I think Rafa has erred by not playing the young Liverpool lads ( Spearing / Darby ) in the Hokey Cokey cup which would have assuaged the fans who could then see them getting some chances & released the pressure on Lucas a bit.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day we all know Gerrard, Carragher, Torres e.tc are quality so if he praises them it is good but it doesn't tell us anything we don't know ourselves. But when he praises Lucas and Kuyt it tells us a lot about Rafa himself, it is an insult to the fans intelligence if he expects us to buy that kind of bullshit. Keane didn't get any of this, it is double standards and anyone who can't see it is deluding themselves.

Lucas isn't fantastic but he is certainly good enough to be the 4th place midfielder who basically gives the big boys a rest in minor games.

I think the hate aimed at him is exacerbated as he is seen as keeping the local lads

( particularly Jay Spearing ) out of the team. If this is the case surely the criticism should be aimed at rafa & the lad should be spared when out on the pitch in a red shirt.

I feel this is very unfair pressure to be put on a young lad plucked out of his environment & finding his feet at a massive club away from friends/family and seemingly asked to change his game as well.

He has made bad mistakes this year but so does every player . His 2 main mistakes have also come when he has been left in emergency situations when more experienced players have given the ball away badly & left us exposed.

I think Rafa has erred by not playing the young Liverpool lads ( Spearing / Darby ) in the Hokey Cokey cup which would have assuaged the fans who could then see them getting some chances & released the pressure on Lucas a bit.

My criticism is aimed at Rafa rather than Lucas, it is not Lucas's fault he is not good enough. It is the manager who chooses to pick him and it is the manager who wouldn't be arsed if a Gerrard type player slipped through the ranks as long as he got one over on Parry.

You comparing Lucas to Hamann?

No, I'm saying for years people didn't "get" Didi, didn't understand why he was important. I spent a couple of years trying to explain to people how important he was, eventually they got it. The tactical screening role was one they didn't understand. It just shows that it is possible for us to have blind spots to the role a player plays in the larger scheme of things.

At the end of the day we all know Gerrard, Carragher, Torres e.tc are quality so if he praises them it is good but it doesn't tell us anything we don't know ourselves. But when he praises Lucas and Kuyt it tells us a lot about Rafa himself, it is an insult to the fans intelligence if he expects us to buy that kind of bullshit. Keane didn't get any of this, it is double standards and anyone who can't see it is deluding themselves.

So basically , if Rafa praises the guys you like thats OK , if he tries to raise the morale of guys who's confidence is on the floor that's bad - I see.

Lucas ( A young lad trying to make his way in the game in a totally foreign environment ) has had some bad times & been booed by his own supporters , but has never stopped trying , showed any frustration & actually thanked the people who actually hadn't booed him for their support via the Echo.

Keane ( An experienced guy who's been through the mill ) acted like a prima donna soft-arse , produced some displays that would have had Lucas strung up from the ticket office roof , clearly told his manager to fuck off on the pitch & has slagged us off every day since he went.

No, I'm saying for years people didn't "get" Didi, didn't understand why he was important. I spent a couple of years trying to explain to people how important he was, eventually they got it. The tactical screening role was one they didn't understand. It just shows that it is possible for us to have blind spots to the role a player plays in the larger scheme of things.

Tell me the role Lucas plays in the larger scheme of things.

My criticism is aimed at Rafa rather than Lucas, it is not Lucas's fault he is not good enough. It is the manager who chooses to pick him and it is the manager who wouldn't be arsed if a Gerrard type player slipped through the ranks as long as he got one over on Parry.

Absolute bollocks

So basically , if Rafa praises the guys you like thats OK , if he tries to raise the morale of guys who's confidence is on the floor that's bad - I see.

Lucas ( A young lad trying to make his way in the game in a totally foreign environment ) has had some bad times & been booed by his own supporters , but has never stopped trying , showed any frustration & actually thanked the people who actually hadn't booed him for their support via the Echo.

Keane ( An experienced guy who's been through the mill ) acted like a prima donna soft-arse , produced some displays that would have had Lucas strung up from the ticket office roof , clearly told his manager to fuck off on the pitch & has slagged us off every day since he went.

how about Kuyt then, a limited player who he says is always fantastic? Keane hasn't said a bad word about us as far as I know. Explain him playing well and then being dropped just when their where little signs his confidence could be on the rise. Explain how this never happens to kuyt no matter how bad he plays, I guess his opta stats are better when is comes to yards ran, big deal! Rafa knew what he was doing with Keane, he is a smarmy character is Benitez.

how about Kuyt then, a limited player who he says is always fantastic? Keane hasn't said a bad word about us as far as I know. Explain him playing well and then being dropped just when their where little signs his confidence could be on the rise. Explain how this never happens to kuyt no matter how bad he plays, I guess his opta stats are better when is comes to yards ran, big deal! Rafa knew what he was doing with Keane, he is a smarmy character is Benitez.

Will you fucking stop it with Kuyt, the entire universe knows your opinion of him.

If you carry on I'll have to name you 'Bradawl' a small boring tool.

To be fair he was getting stuck in on Wednesday night and putting the effort in - which is the least you expect. He maybe goes in over hard sometimes though as he feels he has to make a point of it, but it's a positive thing if he's wanting to work hard.

Can't be having this stuff from Benitez about how we'll miss him though, and even Lucas must know he's taking the piss with the fantastic player comment!

Tell me the role Lucas plays in the larger scheme of things.

This isn't about Lucas per se. It's about how a player can add things to the TEAM without necessarily being appreciated by the fans.

I've posted about Lucas' qualities often enough, I'm tired of repeating them.

This isn't about Lucas per se. It's about how a player can add things to the TEAM without necessarily being appreciated by the fans.

I've posted about Lucas' qualities often enough, I'm tired of repeating them.

Not about Lucas? What's the title of the thread?

Absolute bollocks

Ok how about this for a scenario, there is someone on Merseyside who is going to be the next big star in the same way Carragher Gerrard, Fowler, Mcmanaman, Rooney have all gone on to be.

He hasn't signed professional forms for anyone but is assessing his options and as is usually the case the talent gets spotted early so all the big clubs from the North West are in for him. His parents see that Purple Nose give his young players like evans, wellbeck that ginger one (I can't remember his name) and others a chance. They see Moyes gives rodwell, baxter, gosling (came from plymouth I know but still gets games) a chance.

He looks at Liverpool and sees what a mess it is there and even though he is a big Liverpool fan and his parents are Reds they send him to United or Everton and we miss out, because Plessis, Lucas, Degan (would have done but for the fact he is crocked) and other second rates get a look in before any local talent. This is what is going to happen and even players like stephen wright and don matteo who we made tidy profits on will go elsewhere.

If you can't see what he is doing will have a serious effect on our future then I can't help you but you will see it for yourself years down the line when the next bunch of talented players from round here will be showing there heart and spirit at other clubs other than our own.

We are not exactly flush with cash so Rafa should stop chucking it away and start trying to integrate some of academy players into the squad as back up and then spend the money saved on players who are good enough for the first team. He won't tho as he wants to win his personal war.

Edited by JMARKH

Guest Ibetitsme7
It took years for some "fans" to realize how good a player Didi was.

it takes some fans years to realise anything. Eventually even the likes of you might realise Lucas is dogshit IN THIS LEAGUE. Try to concentrate on those three words in caps. He is too slow to be effective IN THIS LEAGUE.

anyone who knows their shit knew what a top player Hamann was. He was probably the outstanding player in the league in any position in one half-year period at Newcastle. He was a genuine box-to-box midfielder up there, getting forward and scoring goals as well as all the passing and tackling he got on with. What maybe some fans didn't get was why when he came to us we lost all that by Gerard "oh shit we're playing Rochdale lets try to sit back contain them and hit them on the break" Houllier sitting him just in front of Hyypia and Henchoz. Seemed like a waste of a player who could have contributed more going forward than that, unlike more destroyer types like Sissoko and to a large extent Mascherano.

I meant the point I was making, was a general one about differences in perception of players.

You said people couldn't see what Hamann brought in the grander scale. Did you mean us simpletons can't see what Lucas brings/will bring in the grander scale by making that statement?