You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was quite looking forward to the arguements between the worst of Labour (Hoon) vs the worst of the Tories (May) vs that buffoon Farage. Watched a few minutes, but as usual, it was a cringeworthy comment from the floor that made me switch over to Newsnight.

Sorry to hijack, but Newsnight kept making me laugh. Ludicrous (I've never been able to spell that) graphics comparing the economy to a smoking gun - again and again and again. They love their shit graphics do BBC political division - it's become a parody of The Day Today, if that's possible. Then a wonderfully orange Labour croney woman - she'll be getting the cancer soon if se doesn't watch out.

Best of all, though, was some hedge fund manager trying to justify why "if we don't pay salaries of £1m, all the talanted people will bugger off elsewhere." He actually quoted that figure, saying that we'll never get the best people to stay in this country and run the banks if we don't pay them that amount, or they'll go and work in other industries. He had a smirk all over his features all the time he was talking. Vince Cable (a bit of a cock, but he seriously knows his shit) was opposite him, and basically asked him f he worried that the best financial brains would go and work in (eg) the public sector because the money in finance wasn't good enough; the hedge fund bloke said no, they'd all go abroad. To which Wark just said that as the yanks have imposed a salary cap now and salarres are tumbling everywhere else too, there'd be nowhere for them to go and earn that kind of money. That shut the smug cunt up.

I was quite looking forward to the arguements between the worst of Labour (Hoon) vs the worst of the Tories (May) vs that buffoon Farage. Watched a few minutes, but as usual, it was a cringeworthy comment from the floor that made me switch over to Newsnight.

Sorry to hijack, but Newsnight kept making me laugh. Ludicrous (I've never been able to spell that) graphics comparing the economy to a smoking gun - again and again and again. They love their shit graphics do BBC political division - it's become a parody of The Day Today, if that's possible. Then a wonderfully orange Labour croney woman - she'll be getting the cancer soon if se doesn't watch out.

Best of all, though, was some hedge fund manager trying to justify why "if we don't pay salaries of £1m, all the talanted people will bugger off elsewhere." He actually quoted that figure, saying that we'll never get the best people to stay in this country and run the banks if we don't pay them that amount, or they'll go and work in other industries. He had a smirk all over his features all the time he was talking. Vince Cable (a bit of a cock, but he seriously knows his shit) was opposite him, and basically asked him f he worried that the best financial brains would go and work in (eg) the public sector because the money in finance wasn't good enough; the hedge fund bloke said no, they'd all go abroad. To which Wark just said that as the yanks have imposed a salary cap now and salarres are tumbling everywhere else too, there'd be nowhere for them to go and earn that kind of money. That shut the smug cunt up.

"To which Wark just said that as the yanks have imposed a salary cap now and salarres are tumbling everywhere else too, there'd be nowhere for them to go and earn that kind of money"

In which case there is no need for the government to get involved as the market will do it anyway.

Bastard- forgot it was on last night. I'll have to give it a go on the iplayer.

It makes me laugh how they have a panel full of politicians, academics and journalists and then have some random no-mark on the end.

"Welcome to Question Time from Bath. In the audience tonight is the Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, Shadow Chancellor George Osborne, political commentator Nick Cohen, journalist Johann Hari and popular childrens entertainer Barry Chuckle."

Best of all, though, was some hedge fund manager trying to justify why "if we don't pay salaries of £1m, all the talanted people will bugger off elsewhere."

Ah yes, all those immensely talented people who've brought the country to the brink of financial ruin - whatever would we do without them?

• 1 year later...

The Government said they'd only agree to send someone on tonight if Alastair Campbell was removed from the panel, Dimbleby goes "Downing Street doesn't pick our guests, we do"

Fucking shithouse tactic in a week when they've announced their policies in the Queen's Speech and slashed the budget by £6.25bn.

It was actually fairly compelling viewing tonight. I'd recommend a iplayer viewing if you missed it. That libdem women was awful though - she came across with the air of a particularly officious and strident senior member of the village fete committee who's crumbly oatcake biscuits weren't getting a look in. When she wasn't spluttering, her speaking voice was quite the most irritating fucking thing I've heard for ages.

It was David Laws that was meant to be on apparently. Bad shithouse.

As tough as opponent as Campbell might be if you can't get him to pipe down, given the skeletons in his closet, then you're in bad shape.

Would it be appropriate to mention what a little shithouse Osbourne proved himself to be by not turning up to the House for questions about his slash n' burn?

Would it be appropriate to mention what a little shithouse Osbourne proved himself to be by not turning up to the House for questions about his slash n' burn?

Didn't know about that. Good to see from the other day that the coalition is sticking to the idea Labour had about anouncing things using press conferences and not the house though; it'd be a shame if that stopped. Especially for little things like £6bn of cuts.

I was watching some clips from the commons the other day and Gideon was sat there with his mouth open like a particularly gormless trout. He didn't shut it for about half a minute, I actually shouted at him, that's how bad it was. He's not trying particularly hard to shrug of the fact he's out of his depth. I don't think it makes me a snob for wanting someone who got a first in economics (or even studied it a bit) to sort out economic trouble.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't blame anyone for not wanting to share a platform with the mass murderer Alastair Campbell.

You seem to have no problem with Clegg sharing a platform with Cameron who voted for the same wars and would have done exactly the same thing, had he been in charge at the time.

Not that I deny the wrongdoings of many. I'm as anti the Iraq and Afghanistan wars as it is possible to be.

You seem to have no problem with Clegg sharing a platform with Cameron who voted for the same wars and would have done exactly the same thing, had he been in charge at the time.

I can forgive someone for being in favour of the war, I can't forgive them for maliciously deceiving people into supporting it. David Cameron wasn't responsible for the Iraq dossier, there is far less blood on his hands.

It was actually fairly compelling viewing tonight. I'd recommend a iplayer viewing if you missed it. That libdem women was awful though - she came across with the air of a particularly officious and strident senior member of the village fete committee who's crumbly oatcake biscuits weren't getting a look in. When she wasn't spluttering, her speaking voice was quite the most irritating fucking thing I've heard for ages.

It's going to get pretty tedious seeing the Lib Dems and Tories side by side on this show seeing as they're still putting on a united front about pretty much everything and nodding their heads at the same time. I think the Libs should enjoy their taste of power while they can, because they're going to get wiped out at the next election - I think a lot of people will see them as a scapegoat and will be able to attack them in their Labour/Lib Dem leaning constintuencies the way they very really get the chance to attack the Tories.

The idea that Downing Street is dictating who will and won't go on Questiontime, and coming only weeks after they change the rules on the disolution of parliament, and as Stu said - they're still issuing policy through the press - it's kind of ironic that they're painting themselves as repealers of Labour's anti-democratic moves. If anything, Labour has laid the groundwork for the kind of setup the Tories will thrive in.

Expect the BBC to come under budget assault in the next few months.

I can forgive someone for being in favour of the war, I can't forgive them for maliciously deceiving people into supporting it. David Cameron wasn't responsible for the Iraq dossier, there is far less blood on his hands.

That has to be one of the weakest arguments you have put forward in the past month!

'Yeah I know he has blood on his hands, but not as much as him'!

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to share a platform with the mass murderer Alastair Campbell.

This is a weak defence of a bad decision. Your party is in government now and is accountable to every free member of society however objectionable their views or actions.