You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So far as "the interest of the majority of the electorate" is concerned: did you somehow miss the fact that this is first time in decades that a majority of the electorate actually voted for one of the parties in power? That the majority have actually got what they voted for for the first time in living memory?

So the people who voted Lib Dem to scrap tuition fees, have sensible policies on immigration, to stop Trident, have extra police (not fewer as will have now), to have no cuts this year have got what they wanted? A dubious take on events

Nobody is getting what they voted for - in fact the Lib Dems appear to think it's fine to go back on their manifesto any time they want - all you have to do is mention a) Greece or b) the "deficit"

The most principled party in politics sure are a revelation in power.

So the people who voted Lib Dem to scrap tuition fees, have sensible policies on immigration, to stop Trident, have extra police (not fewer as will have now), to have no cuts this year have got what they wanted? A dubious take on events

Nobody is getting what they voted for - in fact the Lib Dems appear to think it's fine to go back on their manifesto any time they want - all you have to do is mention a) Greece or b) the "deficit"

The most principled party in politics sure are a revelation in power.

How are you going to get them if the Lib Dems aren't going to try to impact policy?

You have to be a realist sometimes, I don't agree with giving away the right to vote against things but if giving up opposition to one things gets you progress on another then sometimes you have to do it. It's still to be seen how much the Lib Dems manage to get for what they have to give away.

Yes Union power needed to be restrained, anybody with common sense could see that, but she used legislation to SMASH them so that her rich buddies in industry had carte blanche to operative however they so choosed. You know it, i know it, we all know it.

So which of these it it that you consider unreasonable?

• a secret ballots for strikes instead of an open show of hands
  • an end to the "closed shop" (enforced union membership for certain jobs)
  • a ban on secondary picketing (joining someone else's dispute out of "solidarity")

How are you going to get them if the Lib Dems aren't going to try to impact policy?

You have to be a realist sometimes, I don't agree with giving away the right to vote against things but if giving up opposition to one things gets you progress on another then sometimes you have to do it. It's still to be seen how much the Lib Dems manage to get for what they have to give away.

A realist?

Stu, if they had a coup and Nick Clegg ran in with a sub machine gun and took oer the country would you support it, after all he is doing it to impact policy?

It's nothing to do with democracy or getting Lib Dem policies in, given that we have neither but the illusion of both?

And 77% of the electorate DID NOT vote for the other party in 'power'. So that's how democracy works? Twattish.

There was no rule that says Labour and Conservative couldn't have got together and govern, none at all. They did it in Germany in 2005.

So which of these it it that you consider unreasonable?

• a secret ballots for strikes instead of an open show of hands
  • an end to the "closed shop" (enforced union membership for certain jobs)
  • a ban on secondary picketing (joining someone else's dispute out of "solidarity")

first two are fine but if as a free citizen I choose to give up my free time and show support for my fellow man in his fight then why should I not be allowed to do it?

but a more important question for me is at what cost do you achieve these reforms? so now let me ask you a question, which of these activities do you condone in order to achieve union reform

a) sequestering of a legally formed organisation?

b) infiltration of a legally formed organisation by an MI5 spy?

c) Police roadblocks to prevent citizens from freely moving around the country?

d) Police instigating violent confrontations and coupled with this pressure on the BBC and ITV to only show the retaliation on TV?

When nick clegg and you talk in glowing terms of the way Thatcher achieved union reforms then you need to tread very carefully. Whatever your view on the outcome the methods used are amongst the most shameful acts of the 1980's incarnation of the tory party.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Alistair Campbell is a brilliant debater and is a very intelligent man. He fucking owned Questiontime.

Alistair Campbell is a brilliant debater and is a very intelligent man. He fucking owned Questiontime.

Indeed he did. There isn't anyone on the front bench of the libersatives that wouldn't end up being handed their arse on plate by Campbell. That's why they didn't front up.

Fuck it I'll say it, I like Alistair Campbell.

Any person who strikes that much fear into the Con-Dems, and politicians in general, get's my vote.

I do too, I often don't agree with him but he fights his corner in a style reminiscent of Strontium Dog. If they lost a match 10-0 they'd still try and claim a moral victory.

His weekend description that Ed Balls "spoke drivel, a never-ending collection of words that just ran into each other and became devoid of meaning" seems fairly accurate too.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Kelvin MacKenzie defending the Israeli commandos' actions, and also reckons that not only is Gaza not badly supplied, it's actually heavily overstocked with Snickers Bars. You couldn't make it up.

I'd be much more concerned had he come out in support of those being shot in the head from above, to be honest. Any position he takes is the opposite of what's correct, so I'm happy with that.

Kelvin MacKenzie defending the Israeli commandos' actions, and also reckons that not only is Gaza not badly supplied, it's actually heavily overstocked with Snickers Bars. You couldn't make it up.

That will be when Mr T broke through the blockade in his Helicopter. He was heard shouting 'Get some Nuts' at the Israelis.