You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bang on here Sec.  It's dribble.  I'm angry at the way the whole country is being dumbed down and any intellectual or even mildly challenging thinking is actively discouraged.  Once again, we're following on the coattails of the US.  We'll be limited to a load of shouty hyperbolic angenda-driven soundbites and any real debate will be strangled at birth. This country is probably already less civilised than it was in the 1950s.  It's on it's way to being less sophisticated than it was in the 60s.  We're on an inexorable downward path.  

Good morning everyone!

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You'd think Benefits Street was a work of fiction to listen to some people.

And to others you'd think it was an accurate portrayal of everybody in receipt of benefit.

I seen that I've a lot of time for Owen jones. I was surprised at a few of those stats on average polls people believe 27 percent of benefits are lost on fraud when its just 0.7 percent, they believe 41 percent of it goes to the unemployed when its just 3 percent I thought it was way higher than that and 16 billion pounds worth of benefits are unclaimed each year. Although there are issues with social security they really are demonising the whole set up and it seems very unfairly. On QT I thought Susie boniface summed up the NHS very well "it is despite our economical and financial anxieties the most civilized thing in the world to do is to put the welfare of the sick above everything else " not her words but words said in 1948. In far worse times. You get the impression after the wars people care more about people above all else and those in places of influence have more respect for the lower classes because they have fought alongside them... Maybe I watched too much Blackadder in school pre michael gove.

Question time much like prime ministers questions is useless whats scary is how clueless some of them seem on things they are directly in control of. Its like their actors and they have been pushed to ad lib but lack the talent for it.

Another thing is they seem to swerve the tax evasion tax avoidance tax loophole arguement like fuck the bbc quick to move on please.

I honestly can't see anything ever changing unless there is a massive war or a proper financial meltdown, one in which ordinary people can't draw money out the bank. Most people are too apathetic to do anything and won't unless they have no choice.

It won't happen though because they'll just keep feeding the massess enough shite to keep them ticking over

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly can't see anything ever changing unless there is a massive war or a proper financial meltdown, one in which ordinary people can't draw money out the bank. Most people are too apathetic to do anything and won't unless they have no choice.

It won't happen though because they'll just keep feeding the massess enough shite to keep them ticking over

Which may explain why the government didn't want to see any of the high street banks fail.

Starkey is one arrogant prick.

Im 100 percent behind every single persons right to strike. Who the fuck has the right to say you can or cannot withold your own labour. These fucker would ignore outright slavery until it made their own day slightly inconvenient. All year we've heard the bankers who totally fucked this country over will leave unless their paid millions, we are told rich will leave if they have to pay 5 percent more tax in these times of robbery I mean austerity yet its the common worker who is a disgrace when he tries to improve or protect their own lives by using the only thing they have which is their labour. I'd have a fuck off big general strike just to let those at the top know the gears of society turn on our consent and remind them its the people they work for not corporations. Fuckers.

• Upvote 3